Education Quarterly Reviews
Published: 04 January 2019
A Primer on the Role of the University’s Attorney
Richard J. Hunter Jr., John H. Shannon
Seton Hall University, USA
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: University Counsel, Faculty Governance, Sponsored Research, Employment, Student Rights, College Athletics
This article is a discussion of the role of the University Counsel (sometimes called the General Counsel) as “adviser, officer, administrator, and agent” in the university setting. The article discusses the nature of the “fiduciary duty” in university governance and describes several of the substantive areas of the law with which the University Counsel must become familiar: faculty employment and tenure discussions; share governance; sponsored research; student rights; and the many issues relating to college athletics.
- Anderson, G. (2019). NCAA votes for athlete payment. Inside Higher Ed (October 30, 2019). Available: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/10/30/college-athletes-permitted-be-paid-name-image-likeness
- Basu, K. (2012). Post-tenure blues. Inside Higher Ed (March 2, 2012). Available: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/03/02/what-does-post-tenure-review-really-mean
- Bean, T. & Wilson, R.F. (2019). When academic freedom collides with religious liberty of religious universities. University of St. Thomas Law Journal 15: 442-487.
- Bearman, T. (2014). Intercepting licensing rights: Why college athletes need a federal right of publicity. Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law, 15: 85-116.
- Behan, S. (2018). Financial corruption and bribery in NCAA athletics. Proquest Dissertation Publishing (Utica College) 10933036. Available: https://www.proquest.com/products-services/dissertations
- Bennett, J.T. (2019). Intercollegiate athletics, Inc.: How big-time college sports cheat students. London, U.K.: Routledge.
- Bickel, R.D. (1977). The role of college or university legal counsel. Journal of Law and Education, 3(1): 73-80.
- Bradbury, J.C. & Pitts, J.D. (2018). Full cost-of-attendance scholarships and college choice: Evidence from NCAA football. Journal of Sports Economics, 19(7): 977-989.
- Cantalupo, N.C. & Kidder, W.C. (2018). A systematic look at a serial problem: Sexual harassment of students by university faculty. Utah Law Review: 671-729.
- Carnegie Foundation (2018/2019). 2018 classification update. Available: http://www.carnegieclassifications.iu.edu/downloads/CCIHE2018-FactsFigures.pdf
- Choi, J.M. & Kim, Y-S. (2018). A study on 50 states’ open meeting act in the United States. The Korean Journal of Archival Studies, 57: 35-73.
- Coates, H.J., Odell, J.D., & Pike, C. (2007). Upskilling the promotion and tenure process: Training administrators for responsible use of research impact metrics. IUPUI Scholar Works. Available: http://www.iupi.edu (presented at Transforming Research, Providence, R.I.).
- Dunham, S. (2017). What is higher education law? Association of Governing Boards (AGB), 25(3). Available: https://agb.org/trusteeship-article/what-is-higher-education-law/
- Edelman, M. (2018). 9 reasons to allow college athletes to license their names, images and likenesses. Forbes.com (May 11, 2019). Available: https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2018/05/11/9-reasons-to-allow--college-athletes-to-license-their-names-images-and-likenesses/7faf00eb5488
- Ehlenz, M.M. (2018). The university and its neighborhood: A study of place-making and change. Journal of Urban Affairs, 41(6): 776-794.
- Ell, K. (2018). Video game industry is booming with continued revenue. CNBC.com (July 18, 2018). Available: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/18/video-game-industry-is-booming-with-continued-revenue.html
- Epstein, R.A. (2005). Breaking down the ivory tower sweatshops: Graduate student assistants and their elusive search for employee status on the private university campus. St. John’s Journal of Law and Communications, 20: 157-198.
- Fitzgerald, D.B. (2011). Ed O’Bannon shines a light upon student-athletes’ of publicity. Primerus.com.(April 19, 2011). Available: https://www.primerus.com/business-law-articles/ed-obannon-shines-a- light-upon-student-athletes-right-of-publicity-624201.htm
- Garon, J.M. (2018). Ownership of university intellectual property. Cardozo Arts and Entertainment Law Journal, 36: 635-673.
- Gilliat-Ray, S. (2019). Religion in higher education. London, U.K.: Routledge.
- Grady, C. (2018). Ethical principles in clinical research. In Principles and practice of clinical research (Fourth Edition). Tampa, Fla.: Elsevier Inc.
- Green, E.L. Apuzzo, M., & Benner, K. (2018). Trump officials reverse Obama’s policy on affirmative action in schools. New York Times (July 3, 2018). Available: https://www.nytimes.com /2018/07/03/us/politics/trump-affirmative-action-race-schools-htm
- Grierson, E.M. (2018). Trust and fiduciary relationship in education: What happens when trust is breached? Educational Philosophy and Theory, 50(2): 203-211.
- Gunz, S. & Jennings, M.M. (2019). University legal counsel: The role and its challenges. Notre Dame Journal of Law, Ethics and Public Policy, 33: 177-220.
- Hanover Research. (2012). Post-tenure review best practices. Hanover Research Report.Available: https://www.hanoverresearch.com/post-tenure-review-best-practices
- Hentschke, G.C., Lechuga, V.M., & Tierney, W.G. (eds). (2010). For-profit colleges and universities: Their markets, regulation, performance, and place in higher education. Sterling, Va.: Stylus Publishing, LLC.
- Hunter, R.J. & Shannon, J.H. (2015a). It Is time to revisit the Yeshiva decision: The myth of “shared university governance.” International Review of Social Sciences and Humanities, 9(1): 193-207.
- Hunter, R.J. & Shannon, J.H. (2015b) What the NLRB giveth, the NLRB taketh away: Contrasting views concerning graduate student unions. International Journal of Arts and Humanities, 1(3): 59-72.
- Hunter, R.J. & Shannon, J.H. (2016). Is the Northwestern case a real “game changer” for intercollegiate athletics: A non-decision decision? Western State Law Review, 43: 155-198.
- Imber, M. & van Geel, T. (2010). Education law (Fourth Ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Johnson, D.A. & Acquaviva, J. (2012). Point/counterpoint: Paying college athletes. The Sport Journal (Gale Academic Onefile), 15(1). Available: http://thesportjournal.org/article/pointcounterpoint-paying-college-athletes/.
- Johnson, D.M. (2018a). University governance: Structures, roles, and responsibilities.In The uncertain future of American public higher education: 157-174. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Johnson, D.M. (2018b). Intercollegiate athletics: Challenges to the academic mission. In The uncertain future of American public higher education: 105-121. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kaplin, W.A., Lee, B.A., Hutchens, N.H., & Rooksby, J.H. (2013). The law of higher education: A comprehensive guide to legal implications. New York: Wiley.
- Kilburg, T. (2018). Should division I college athletes receive compensation in excess of their scholarships? Major Themes in Economics (University of Northern Iowa, Department of Economics), 20(1): 1-47.
- Leach, W.D. (2010). Shared governance in higher education: Structural and cultural responses to a changing national climate. Social Science Research Network(SSRN) (August 1, 2010). Available: https://papers.ssrn.com/sl3/cf_dev/absByAuth.cfm/?per_id=426661
- Lee, B.A. (1991). Improving faculty employment decisions. Thought and Action, 7(1): 73-87.
- Mahat, M. & Tatebe, J. (2019). Demystifying the academic promotion process. In Achieving academic promotion (Surviving and thriving in academia): 3-27. Bingley, U.K.: Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Maitland, C. & Rhoades, G. (2001). Unions and faculty governance. Almanac of Higher Education: 27-33.
- Marchant, G.E. (2005). Human genetic sampling: Ethical, legal, and social considerations, property rights and benefit-sharing for DNA donors? Jurimetrics, 45: 153-178.
- Matzkin, M.G. (2001). Gettin’ played: How the video game industry violates college athletes’ rights of publicity by not paying for their likenesses. Loyola Los Angeles Entertainment Law Review, 21: 227-252.
- Mawdsley, R.D. (1996). Litigation involving higher education employee and student handbooks. West’s Education Law Quarterly, 5(4): 588-606.
- McCarty, F.W. & Thompson, W.N. (1977). The role of counsel in American colleges and universities. American Business Law Journal, 3: 287-310.
- McKiernan, E.C., Schimanski, L.A., Nieves, C.M., Matthias, L., Niles, M.T., & Alperin, J.P. (2019). Use of journal impact factor in academic review, promotion, and tenure evaluations. PeerJPreprints (April 9, 2019). Available: https://peerj.com/preprints/27638
- Methner, S.E.G. (2019). A Catholic university approach to campus speech: Using constitutional academic freedom to hold the tension of free speech, inclusive diversity, and university identity. University of St. Thomas Law Journal, 15: 358-417.
- Merker, C.K, & Peck, S.W. 2019). The trustee governance guide. London: Palgrave-MacMillan
- Mortimer, K.P. & McConnell, T.R. (1978). Sharing authority effectively. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Murphy, S. (2018). Bring your own trademark: Compensating college football players through trademark royalties. Boston College Intellectual Property and Technology Forum. Available: http://www.bciptf.org
- Niles, M.T., Schimanski, L.A., McKiernan, E.C., Alperin, J.P. (2019). Why we publish where we do: Faculty publishing values and their relationship to review, promotion and tenure expectations. bioRxiv. Available: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2019/07/21/706622.full.pdf
- Nurunnabi, M. & Hossain, M.A. (2019). Data falsification and question on academic integrity. Accountability in Research, 26(2): 108-122.
- Oates, K. (2003). Professor defend thyself: The failure of universities to defend and indemnify their faculty. Willamette Law Review, 39: 1063-1130.
- O’Brien, T. (2015). Prepare to handle the new world of ‘full cost of attendance’ (Abstract). College Athletics and the Law,11(12): 4.
- Parks, G.S. & Parisi, S. (2019). White boy wasted: Race, sex, and alcohol use in fraternity hazing. Wisconsin Journal of Law, Gender and Society, 34: 1-37.
- Pollack, S.D. & Johns, D.V. (2019). Northwestern football players throw a “Hail Mary” but the National Labor Relations Board punts: Struggling to apply labor law to the academy. Virginia Sports and Entertainment Law Journal, 15: 77-109.
- Racklin, M. (2019). Title IX and criminal law on campus: Against mandatory police involvement in campus sexual assault cases. New York University Law Review, 94: 982-1018.
- Resnik, D.B. (2019). Is it time to revise the definition of research misconduct? Accountability in Research, 26(2): 123-137.
- Rowland, J. (2001). “Forecasts of doom”: The dubious threat of graduate teaching assistant collective bargaining to academic freedom. Boston College Law Review, 42: 941-966.
- Science News Staff. (2018). Trump, Congress approve largest U.S. research spending increase in a decade. ScienceMag.org (March 23, 2018). Available: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/03/updated-us-spending-deal-contains-largest-research-spending-increase-decade
- Sheley, E.L. (2019). Tort answers to the problem of corporate mens rea. North Carolina Law Review, 97: 773-841.
- Stensaker, B. & Vabo, A. (2019). Re-inventing shared governance: Implications for organizational culture and institutional leadership. Higher Education Quarterly, 67(3): 256-274.
- Strauss, B. (2015). N.L.R.B. rejects Northwestern football players union. New York Times (online) (August 17, 2015). Available: https://www.nytimes.com/.../nlrb-says-northwestern-football-players-cannot-unionize.html
- Taylor, M. (2012). Shared governance in the modern university. Higher Education Quarterly, 67(1): 80-94.
- Trautman, L.J. & Ford, J. (2018). Nonprofit governance: The basics. Akron Law Review, 52: 971-1042.
- Tucker, E. (2018). President Trump to revoke Obama-era policy using race in school admissions.
- Associated Press (July 3, 2018). Available: https://www.kktv.com/content/news/President-Trump-to-rescind-Obama-era-guidance-on-affirmative-action-487232091.html
- Whittington, K.E. (2019). Gender equality and the First Amendment: Free speech and the diverse university. Fordham Law Review, 87: 2453-2474.
- Wood, M. & Johnsrud, L.K. (2004). Post-tenure review: what matters to faculty. Review of Higher Education, 28(3): 393-420.
- Zhang, L. & Liu, X. (2010). Faculty employment at 4-year colleges and universities. Economics of Education Review, 29(4): 543-552.
Dixon v. Alabama State Board of Education. (1961). 294 F.2d 150 (5th Circuit Court of Appeals).
National Labor Relations Board v. Yeshiva University. (1980). 444 U.S. 672 (United States Supreme Court).
Northwestern University and College Athletes Players Association (CAPA), Petitioner. (2015). Case 13–RC– 121359, 362 NLRB No. 167 (National Labor Relations Board).
O’Bannon v. NCAA. (2014). 7 F. Supp. 3d 955 (United States District Court, Northern District of California); 802 F. 3d 1049 (9th Circuit Court of Appeals); 2016 U.S. Lexis 5146 (2016) (cert. denied) (United States Supreme Court).