Education Quarterly Reviews
Published: 30 March 2020
Adult Education First Meeting: From Need to Design
School of Pedagogical and Technological Education, Thessaloniki, Greece
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: First meeting, Adult Education, Lifelong Learning, Need, Planning
It is commonplace that the knowledge gained after some time needs enrichment and actualization. Educational actions that are addressed to adults are essential. The first meeting in adult education is crucial for the educational process. It must, therefore, be planned carefully. The aim of this study is to find the elements that make the first meeting efficient. Books and scientific journals are sought for those elements. The planning proposed is to get acquainted with the participants, to identify needs, expectations and preferred ways of learning and finally to create a learning contract. All these actions must be done with respect to the particularities of participants in a climate that is suitable for learning.
- Abdullah, M., Koren, S., Muniapan, B., Parasuraman, B. & Rathakrishnan, B. (2009). Adult participation in self-directed learning programs. International Education Studies, 1(3), 66-72.
- Archontakis, Z. & Filippou, D. (2003). 205 experiential exercises for group animation, psychotherapy, social work, education. Sixth edition. Athens: Kastaniotis Publications.
- Athanasiou, A. (2014). Handbook for Adult Educators, Basic Adult Teaching Principles for Vulnerable Populations. Nicosia: Frederick University.
- CEDEFOP, (1996). Vocational Training Glossarium. Lifelong Learning and Labor Market. Thessaloniki.
- Courau, S. (2000). The basic "tools" of the adult educator. Athens: Metachimo.
- ECDCB, (2007). Operational Program "Education and Lifelong Learning" 2007-2013, Available at: http: // Page_id = 22.
- Government Gazette, (2005). Law 3369 / 6.07.2005. Sheet Number 171, Issue One, p. 2793.
- Government Gazette, (2010). Law 3879 / 21.09.2010. Sheet Number 163, Issue One, p. 3401.
- Knowles, M. (1970). The modern practice of Adult Education: Andragogy versus Pedagogy. New York: Association Press.
- Kokkos, A. (1999). Introduction to adult education. Educational methods: group of trainees, volume D. Patras: EAP
- Kokkos, A. (2005). Adult Education: Detecting the Field, Athens: Metachimo.
- Kostoglou, E. (xx). Lifelong learning and adult education. Greek Language Center.
- Lefteriotou, P. (2005). Investigation of educational needs of trainers of the General Secretariat for the Adult Education. Bachelor's thesis. Patras: Greek Open University.
- Marcellis, G. (2009). Experiential Exercises for Teamwork, Makrinitsa Environmental Education Center.
- Mouzakis, Ch. (2006). Adult education techniques and the role of the instructor. Athens: Institute of Adult Continuing Education.
- Nikitidis N. (2019). Assessment of Acquaintance Techniques at the First Meeting of Adult Education, Education Quarterly Reviews, Vol.2 No.3 (2019)
- Noye, D. & Piveteau, J. (1999). Practical Guide to Trainer, Athens: Metachimo.
- Olympic Training and Consulting (2016). Adult training methodology and techniques. Module two. Shelf-study Course for Trainers of Intercultural Mediators, Athens: Time Project.
- Papanis, A. (2008). The inaugural meeting on adult education. Available at: http: //epapanis.blogspot.com/2008/05/blog-post.html.
- Polson, C. (1993). Teaching Adult Students.IDEA Paper No. 29, 2-7.
- Psachou, E. (2010). Adult educators working in the field of Folk Education in Gypsy Literacy: The teaching principles they apply and the importance of Gypsy specialties in the choice of how teachers are taught. Patras.
- Rogers, A. (1999). Adult education (ed. Papadopoulou M. & Tombrou M.). Athens: Metachimo.
- Shiakoveli, P. (2011). Design and organization of adult education and learning, Patras: Self-publishing.
- Silberman, M. (2006). Active Training, A handbook of techniques, Designs, Case Examples and Tips. Τhird edition. San Fransisco:Pfeifer.
- Tjotju, M. (xx). Characteristics of Adult Learners and Barriers to Learning in Open and Distance Education. 9th Panhellenic, Greek Pedagogical & Educational Research, 476-487.
- Tsibkouli, A. & Phillips, N. (2008). Adult Trainer Education, Adult Continuing Education Institute, Athens.
- Tsimboukli, A. & Phillips, N. (2010). Training of adult trainers. Introduction to Adult Education, Athens.
- Tsiolis, M. (2015). Planning an Initial Meeting in Adult Education Programs, Proceedings of the 1st Panhellenic Conference on Promoting Educational Innovation.