Education Quarterly Reviews
Published: 06 April 2020
Assessment of Educational Management Research Performance of Universities in North-Eastern Nigeria
Kabiru Mohammed Badau
Modibbo Adama University of Technology Yola, Nigeria
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Assessment, Educational Management, Research Performance, Universities, North Eastern Nigeria
Nigerian universities have the capacities to perform in terms of educational management research quality and impact to promote research excellence. This will market the institutions in order to attract funding and make them more flexible, cost efficient and responsive to the need of the society. More so, the allocation of research funds to universities now depends wholly or partly on the results of assessment performance of the previous researches in educational management. This paper assessed institutional, national, external research incomes, publications and training in educational management research performance of universities in North Eastern Nigeria. The study combined a strong document analysis of the previous researches and interviews of staff in Research and Development units or centres of all universities providing research funding for educational management research in North Eastern Nigeria. Percentage was utilized for data analysis. The findings of the research show that Universities performed lowly in terms of institutional, national, external income, publications and training performance in universities of North Eastern Nigeria. The study also concluded that universities research performance in educational management is low in North Eastern Nigeria. The study further recommended among others that researchers training in educational management should be promoted through Masters and Ph. D programmes in the universities of North Eastern Nigeria.
- AALTO, (2009). A research evaluation in Finland. Finland: Science in Society.
- Agence de evaluation de la recherche et de enseignment superieur(AERERS), (2007).
- Research assessment exercise in France. France: Science in Society.
- Aldo,G&Ben,R.M.(2001). University research evaluation and funding: An international
- Comparism. Electronic Working paper series No 71.
- Australian Science and Technology Council (ASTEC), (1989). Profile of Australian Science. A study of the current state and potential of basic scientific research.Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Science.
- Basley, T.A.C .(2009). Assessing the quality of educational research in higher education. Netherland: Sense Publishers
- Bazelay, P. (2010). Conceptualizing research performance. Studies in Higher Education, 35(8), 889 – 903.
- Briggs, A.N.,Coleman,M&Morrison,M. (2012). Research methods in educational leadership and management. Sage Publications.
- Buchan, A.M, Oancea, A &OvSciko, P.V. (2012). Assessing research impact in academic clinical Medicine: A Study using research excellence Framework & pilot impact indicators. Newyork:Licence abaiomed Central Limited.
- Cabral, A.P & Huet, I. (2014). Assessment of research quality in higher education: contribution for and institutional framework. Social and Behavioral Sciences, 116, 1528-1532.
- Colman, A.M., Dlillon, D &Coulthard, B. (1994). A bibliometric evaluation of the research performance of British University politics Departments. Journals Scientometries, 32(10, 49 & 66.
- Edgar, F&Geare A. (2011). Factors influencing University research performance. Studies in Higher Education, 38(5), 774 – 792
- European commission, (2010). Assessing Europe in University – Based research. Luxembourg: European Union.
- Hallinger, P. (2013). A conceptual Framework for systematic reviews of research in educational leadership and management.Journal of educational Administration, 51(2), 126 – 149.
- Huet 1&Cabral, A.P. (2014). Assessment of research in Higher Education. Contribution for an Institutional framework.Procedia Social and behavioral Science 116,1528-1532.
- Linke, R.D.(1992). Some principles for application of performance indicators in higher education. Higher Education Management, 4 (2), 194-203.
- Meek, V. L &Vanderlee, J.J. (2005). Performance indicators for assessing and bench marking research capacities in Universities. UNESCO Bangkok occasional paper series paper no2.
- Martin,B.R&Geuna,A.(2001). University research evaluation and funding:An international comparism. Science and Technology Policy Research no 71.
- Mauch,J&Park,N. (2003). Guide to the successful thesis and dissertation: A hand book for students and faculty. Newyork: Marcel Dekker Inc.
- Perry, L. (2017). Assessing the performance of educational research in Australian Universities: an alternative perspective. Higher Education Research and Development.
- Research Council of Norway, (2009). Excellent research performance in Norway. Norway: Science in Society.
- Rizvi, F.(2009). Internationalization and Assessment of research in education. Research on Higher Education/ 49-58.
- Rudd, E. (1998). The evaluation of the quality of research. Studies in Higher Education, , 13(1), 45-47.
- Spanish Research Council,(2010). An assessment of research output of university teachers in Spain.Spain: Science in Society.
- Swedish Research Council, (2008). Government Research bill 2008 in Sweden. Sweden:Science in Society.
- Wood, F. (1990) Factors influencing research performance of University Academic Staff.High Education, 19(1), 81-100.
- WSSENSSEHHAFTSRA, (2005). Research performance assessment in Germany. Germany:Science in Society.
- Zhang, Z, Xu,Lou,0 &Chuanmin, M. (2008). A grey model for evaluating research performance of University researchers in China. IEEE.