Asian Institute of Research, Journal Publication, Journal Academics, Education Journal, Asian Institute
Asian Institute of Research, Journal Publication, Journal Academics, Education Journal, Asian Institute

Education Quarterly Reviews

ISSN 2621-5799

asia institute of research, journal of education, education journal, education quarterly reviews, education publication, education call for papers
asia institute of research, journal of education, education journal, education quarterly reviews, education publication, education call for papers
asia institute of research, journal of education, education journal, education quarterly reviews, education publication, education call for papers
asia institute of research, journal of education, education journal, education quarterly reviews, education publication, education call for papers
crossref
doi
open access

Published: 05 July 2021

Teacher Qualifications and Academic Performance of Pupils in Public Primary Schools in Hargeisa District

Gulled M. Yasin

University of Hargeisa

asia institute of research, journal of education, education journal, education quarterly reviews, education publication, education call for papers
pdf download

Download Full-Text Pdf

doi

10.31014/aior.1993.04.03.315

Pages: 39-44

Keywords: Teacher Qualification, Academic Performance, High Qualifications, Moderate Qualification, Low Qualification, Licensure and Certification

Abstract

This study investigated effect of teacher qualifications on the academic performance of pupils in primary schools in Hargeisa districts. Teacher qualifications were operationalized as Formal education, certification and teaching experience. The study emerged from the deteriorating academic achievement of pupils in Somaliland National Primary Examinations. The deteriorating academic performance was well demonstrated from increase number of failures in Somaliland National Exams. The study employed cross sectional survey research design, on a sample of 160 teachers, the study found out that, Fo = 15.838 > F (2,157) = 3.06; p = .000. The eta-square returned an average value of η 2 = 16.8%. Therefore, teacher qualification accounts for 16.8% of the variance in academic performance of pupils in pubic primary schools in Hargeisa. The rest 83.2% are due to factors not investigated here, and errors in measurements. The study findings indicate that teacher qualifications affect to the academic performance of pupils in public primary schools in Hargeisa District.

References

  1. Abdilahi, A. (2015). Effect of Family Characteristics on Academic Performance of the Students in Schools.Baabusalam: Hargeisa, Somaliland

  2. Darling-Hammond, L. (2000).Teacher quality and student achievement.Education policy analysis archives, 8, 1.

  3. Gahayr, A.(2018).Effect of Medium of Instruction on Academic Performance:Alhuseini printer center.Hargeisa Somaliland

  4. Marks, H. M., & Louis, K. S. (1997). Does Teacher Empowerment Affect the Classroom? The Implications of Teacher Empowerment for Instructional Practice and Student Academic Performance. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 19(3), 245–275.

  5. Marks, Helen & Louis, Karen. (1997). Does Teacher Empowerment Affect the Classroom? The Implications of Teacher Empowerment for Instructional Practice and Student Academic Performance. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis - EDUC EVAL POLICY ANAL,19, 245-275.

  6. Oso, W.Y. (2013). Principles and practice of educational research. Borama, Somaliland: Barkhadle Printing Press.

  7. Zuzovsky, R. (2009). Teachers’ qualifications and their impact on student achievement: Findings from TIMSS 2003 data for Israel. IERI Monograph Series. Issues and Methodologies in Large-Scale Assessments, 2, 37-62.