Education Quarterly Reviews
Published: 20 September 2019
The Counseling Role of the Teacher in Greek Secondary Schools: Investigating Students' Attitudes Toward It
Zacharo Kouni, Marios Koutsoukos
School of Pedagogical and Technological Education
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Secondary Education, School Counseling-Guidance, Adolescents
In Greece, little empirical research has been done to investigate Junior High School students' perceptions on the teacher's role in a guidance and counseling framework, and no recent research at all for High School students respectively. The purpose of the present study fills that gap, using a quantitative research method. The sample consists of 487 students from three General Junior High Schools (Gymnasium) and three General High Schools (Lyceum), as well as one Vocational High School (EPAL). The results show clearly that students desire to have counseling support at their school and also need their teachers to have guidance and counseling skills, to listen to and understand their problems, to support them with what troubles them, to encourage them and contribute to the development of their personality.
- Bireda, D.A., & Pillay, J. (2018). Perceived parent-child communication and well-being among Ethiopian adolescents. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth,23(1),109-117. doi: 10.1080/02673843.2017.1299016
- Brouzos, A. (1998). The Teacher as an Operator of Counseling and Guidance (2nd ed.). Athens: Lichnos. [in Greek]
- Brouzos, Α., Vassilopoulos, S., Korfiati, A. & Baourda,V. (2015). Secondary School Students’ Perceptions of Their Counselling Needs in an Era of Global Financial Crisis: An Exploratory Study in Greece. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling, 37(2), 168-178. doi: 10.1007/s10447-015-9235-6
- Bruno, U. D. O., & Joyce, N. (2014). The Role of the Teacher in Improving Students Self Esteem. International Journal of Academic Research in Progressive Education and Development, 3(1), 47-53. doi: 10.6007/IJARPED/v3-i1/615
- Chireshe, R. (2011). School Counsellor's and students' Perceptions of the Benefits of School Guidance and Counselling Services in Zimbabwean Secondary Schools. Journal of Social Science, 29(2), 101-108. doi: 10.1080/09718923.2011.11892960
- Davou, M. (1994). The psychological experience of school: relationships between adolescents and teachers. In M. Davou & E. Petridou (eds.), Adolescence (pp. 131-135). Athens: Sirris. [in Greek]
- Demirdag, S. (2014). Classroom management and students' self-esteem: Creating positive classrooms. Educational Research and Reviews 10(2), 191-197. doi: 10.5897/ERR2014.2000
- Frant, A.I. (2016). Implications of self-esteem in adolescence. Journal Plus Education, 14(1), 90-99.
- Gabrhelová, G., & Pasternáková, l. (2016). Teachers in the Context of Vocational Education. Acta Technologica Dubnicae, 6(3), 100-113. doi.org /10.1515 /atd-2016-0022
- Gabriel, A., Samoilis, P., Vitaliotou, A., & Hatzigiannoglou Th (2000). Counseling-Orientation. A Guide for Parents. Athens: Greek Ministry of Education, Research, and Religious Affairs - Pedagogical Institute. [in Greek]
- Geldard, K., Geldard, D, & Yin Foo R. (2017). Counseling psychology in adolescents. (M. Malathraki, & C. Vontas, translators). Athens: Pedio. [in Greek]
- Georgiana, D. (2015). Teacher`s Role as a Counsellor. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 180, 1080 – 1085. doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro .2015. 02 . 211
- Gordon, T. (2011). The secrets of an effective teacher. (Z. Rigopoulou, translator). Athens: Erevnites. [in Greek]
- Hughes, P. (1999). Counseling in education. In S. Palmer & G. McMahon (eds.), Handbook of Counseling (2nd ed.) (pp. 176-193). London and NY: Routledge.
- Kananu, F.K. (2002). Perception of the teacher counselor's role in the implementation of secondary school curriculum: a case of central division Μachakos district. (Unpublished master’s thesis). Kenyatta University. Accessed February 2, 2019, from 456789/2463
- Kaur, J., & Malhotra, A. (2014). Adolescents’ Perception of Adjustment Problems and School Counseling Services. International Journal of Science and Research 4(3), 955-962.
- Kourkoutas, E., & Giovazolias, Τ. (2015). School-Based Counselling Work with Teachers: An Integrative Model. The European Journal of Counselling Psychology, 3(2), 137–158. doi.org/10.5964/ejcop.v3i2.58
- Krivas, S. (2007). Pedagogical Science: Basic Topic. Athens: Gutenberg. [in Greek]
- Lam, S., & Hui, E. (2010). Factors affecting the involvement of teachers in guidance and counselling as a whole-school approach. British Journal of Guidance & Counselling, 38(2), 219-234. doi.org/10.1080/03069881003674962
- Low, K.P. (2009). Considering the Challenges of Counselling Practice in Schools. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling 31(2), 71–79. doi: 10.1007/s10447-009-9069-1
- Mazaraki, M. (2013). Building a counseling relationship at school as an important factor for students' psychosocial development. Counseling and Guidance Review, 101,176-186. [in Greek]
- Malikiosi-Loizou, M. (2011). Counseling Psychology in Education. Athens: Pedio. [in Greek]
- Manhas, S., & Roshan, A. (2015). Parental - Peer Trust and Communication among Adolescents of Jammu. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research and Development, 2(12), 505-508.
- Manesis, N. The teacher as a Counselor in the Modern School. Accessed February 14, 2019 from [in Greek]
- McLeod, J. (2003). An Introduction to Counselling (D. Karathanou, & A. Markantoni, translators). Athens: Metaixmio. [in Greek]
- Minev, M., Petrova, B., Mineva, K., Petkova, M., & Strebkova, R. (2018). Self-esteem in adolescents. Trakia Journal of Sciences, 16(2), 114-118. doi: 10.15547/tjs.2018.02.007
- Nweze, T., & Okolie, C.U. (2014). Effective Guidance and Counselling Programmes in Secondary Schools: Issues and Roles in Students’ Career Decision Making. Journal of Research & Method in Education, 4 (4), 63-68. doi: 10.9790/7388-04456368
- Nyamwaka, O., Nyamwange, C., Ombaba, S., & Magaki, E. (2013). Assessment of Implementation Levels of Guidance and Counselling Programme in Kenyan Secondary Schools: A case of Sotik District, Bomet County, Kenya. Journal of Education and Practice, 4(3), 178-186.
- Owens, D., Simmons, R. W., Bryant, R. M., & Henfield, M. (2011). Urban African American males’ perceptions of school counselling services. Urban Education, 46(2), 165–177. doi:10.1177/0042085910377430
- Paraskeva, F., & Papayannis, A. (2008). Scientific and pedagogical skills for education executives. Athens. Ministry of Education, Research, and Religious Affairs-Pedagogical Institute. [In Greek]
- Panahi, S. (2015). Role of parents, teachers, and community in adolescents` issues. Unique journal of pharmaceutical and biological sciences, 3(2), 4-11.
- Psathopoulou, P. (2013). Adolescent Disorders and the counselling role of teachers. Counseling-Orientation Review, 101, 370-379. [In Greek]
- Qu, Y., Fuligni, J.A., Galvan, A., & Telzer, H.E. (2015). Buffering effect of positive parent–child relationships on adolescent risk taking: A longitudinal neuroimaging investigation. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience, 15, 26–34. doi: 10.1016/ j. dcn.2015.08.005
- Ray, R., Mahapatro, S., & Kar, S.S. (2011). Adolescent Counselling. Indian Journal of Clinical Practice, 22(3), 117-119.
- Siyez, D., Kaya, A., & Uz Bas, A. (2012). Investigating views of teachers on classroom guidance programs. Eurasian Journal of Educational Research, 48, 213-230.
- Sculli, N. (2011). Assessing the counseling needs of high school students: the role of needs assessment in Comprehensive School Counseling Programs (CSCPs) and the ASCA national model. (Unpublished master’s thesis). State University of New York College at Brockport, Brockport NY. Accessed February 19, 2019, from https: // pdfs.semanticscholar.org/69d5/5847cd2d88a8b72 ad479605a080a 48312 1 65.pdf.
- Suhag, Κ.Α., Pirzada, Μ.Α., Butt, Μ.Η., Butt, Α.Α., Zeb, F. & Raza, F. (2017). A Guideline for Establishing a New Guidance and Counseling Center in School. Journal of scientific achievements, 2(8), 1-5. doi: 10.4281/zenodo.345735
- Tian, L., Han, M., & Huebner E. S. (2014). Preliminary development of the Adolescent Students’ Basic Psychological Needs at School Scale. Journal of Adolescence 37(3), 257–267. doi: 10.1016/j.adolescence.2014.01.005
- Toombs, E., Unruh, A., & McGrath, P. (2018). Evaluating the parent–adolescent communication toolkit: Usability and preliminary content effectiveness of an online intervention. Nursing Open, 5(1), 29-36.doi: 10.1002/nop2.107
- Tuker, G.O. (2018). Positive Teacher Influence Strategies to Improve Secondary Instrumental Students’ Motivation and Perceptions of Self. National Association for Music Education, 36(3), 5-11.doi: 10.1177/8755123317733109
- Filippaki, Ν. (2007). School career guidance. Modern perspectives. In C. Kapoli (eds.), Counseling horizons for school orientation. SOS orientation, (p.p. 43-80). Athens: Panteion University. [In Greek]