Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 25 February 2020
Assessment of Relationship Between Personal Attitude and the Entrepreneurship Intention Among Students in Federal Polytechnic in Northern Nigeria
S. I. Attahiru, M. A. Olaoye, B. Isyaku, M. Abubakar
Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna State. Nigeria
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Personal Attitude, The Entrepreneurship Intention, Federal Polytechnic
As presently conceptualized, entrepreneurship education is implemented in Nigerian tertiary educational institutions to equip the undergraduate with business skills that would make them self-employed rather than job seekers, at graduation. The assessed relationship between personal attitude and the entrepreneurship intention among students in Federal Polytechnic in Northern Nigeria This study was guided by a hypothesis. The study adopted causal comparative (Ex-Post-factor) design. The population of the study was made up of all the students in federal polytechnics in Northern Nigeria. Simple random sampling method named Dip-hand sampling method was used to select the sampled states for the study while proportional sampling method was used in selecting respondents from each school in the selected federal polytechnics, while the sample size was 1,135. The instrument for the study was researcher’s developed Likert-type questionnaire named influence of entrepreneur courses in the development of students’ career opportunities in Universities Nigeria. Split-half reliability was used to test the reliability of the instrument with reliability index of 0.79. PPMC was used to test hypothesis six at 0.05 alpha level of significance. It was concluded that students in Federal Polytechnic in Northern Nigeria have personal attitude towards entrepreneurship intention. It was recommended that Government should provide loans to encourage small and medium scale enterprises.
- Anyanwu I. L., (2006). Practical Tips for Economic Empowerment and Surviva'. Nsukka: AP Express.
- Benachenhou, S.; Mohammed, A. F. and Omar, B. D. (2017). The Influence of Attitude, Subjective Norms and Perceived Behavior Control on Entrepreneurial Intentions: Case of Algerian Students; American Journal of Economics, 7(6): 274-282 DOI: 10.5923/j.economics.20170706.02
- Christina W, U, (2017). Attitude, Subjective Norms, Perceived Behavior, Entrepreneurship Education and Self-efficacy toward Entrepreneurial Intention University Student in Indonesia: European Research Studies Journal Volume XX, Issue 2A, 2017 pp. 475-495’
- Dinc M. Sait and Budic Semira (2016). Impact of Personal Attitude, Subjective Norm, and Perceived Behavioural Control on Entrepreneurial Intentions of Women: Eurasian Journal of Business and Economics, 9 (17), 23-35.
- Emmanuel, O. N (2011). Entrepreneurship Education in the University in the Eastern Nigeria; Implications for Higher Education Administration Unpublished PhD dissertation, University of Port-Harcourt.
- Kumara, S. (2012). UNDERGRADUATES'INTENTION TOWARDS ENTREPRENEURSHIP: EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE FROM SRI LANKA. Journal of Enterprising Culture, 20(1).
- Norziani, D. Mastura, J. and Siti Asma’ M. R. (2015). Attitude and Entrepreneurial Intention among Rural Community: The Mediating Role Of Entrepreneurial Opportunity Recognition; SHS Web of Conferences, 0100 (2015).
- Nwabuana, E.C (2004). Information Technology (IT) and Enhancement of Entrepreneurship Education in Secretarial Studies Programme in Polytechnics in Nigeria. A Paper