Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 01 November 2019
Brand Equity and Service Innovation in Mexican Small Firms
Gonzalo Maldonado-Guzman, Sandra Yesenia Pinzón-Castro, Jessica Lucero Popoca-Zamarripa
Universidad Autonoma de Aguascalientes, Mexico
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Brand, Brand Equity, Innovation, Service Innovation, Small Firms
Brand equity and service innovation are two marketing activities that have a vested interest for researchers, scholars and professionals not only because they should be part of the business strategies of any company but also because both constructs produce more and better competitive advantages especially in small service enterprises. Nonetheless, there are relatively few published investigations in the current marketing literature that have analyzed these constructs together. There are even fewer empirical papers focused on small service organizations even when this type of companies are the most common in developing countries as well as those with emerging economies, as it is the case of Mexico. Thus, the main objective of this empirical research is the analysis and discussion of the effects of service innovation in the brand equity of small firms by using a sample of 300 small enterprises and by implementing a model of structural equations that allows a deeper understanding of the current relation between service innovation and brand equity. The results obtained show that service innovation has a positive and significant effect in the level of brand equity of small firms.
- Aaker, D.A. (1996). Measuring brand equity across products and markets. California Management Review, 38(1), 102-110.
- Aaker, D.A. (2009). Managing Brand Equity. New York, NY: The Free Press.
- Ailawadi, K.L., Lehmann, D., & Neslin, S. (2003). Revenue premium as an outcome measure of brand equity. Journal of Marketing, 67(4), 1-17.
- Anderson, J., & Gerbing, D. (1988). Structural equation modeling in practice: a review and recommended two-step approach. Psychological Bulletin, 13, 411-423.
- Andreassen, T.W. (2000). Antecedents to satisfaction with service recovery. European Journal of Marketing, 34(1/2), 156-175.
- Atashfaraz, M., & Sadr, A.M. (2016). Impact of e-service innovation on brand equity and customer loyalty in Samsung International Corporation. Procedia Economics and Finance, 36(1), 327-335.
- Bagozzi, R., & Yi, Y. (1988). On the evaluation of structural equation models. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 16(1), 74-94.
- Batra, R., & Homer, P.M. (2004). The situational impact of brand image beliefs. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 14(3), 318-330.
- Bayus, B.L., Jain, S., & Rao, A.G. (2001). Truth or consequences: An analysis of vaporware and new product announcements. Journal of Marketing Research, 38(1), 3-13.
- Bentler, P. (2005). EQS 6 Structural Equations Program Manual. Encino, CA: Multivariate Software.
- Berthon, P.R., Pitt, L., & Campbell, C. (2008). Ad lib: When customers create the ad. California Management Review, 50(4), 6–31.
- Bolton, R. (1998). A dynamic model of the duration of the customer’s relationship with a continuous service provider: The role of satisfaction. Marketing Science, 17(1), 45-65.
- Brady, M.K., Cronin, J.J., Fox, G.L., & Roehm, M.L. (2008). Strategies to offset performance failures: The role of brand equity. Journal of Retailing, 84(2), 151-164.
- Bridges, S., Keller, K.L., & Sood, M.L. (2000). Communication strategies for brand extension: Enhancing perceived fit by establishing explanatory links. Journal of Advertising, 29(1), 1-12.
- Brown, T. (2006). Confirmatory Factor Analysis for Applied Research. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Buil, I., Martínez, E., & de Chernatony L. (2013). The influence of brand equity on consumer responses. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 30(1), 62-74.
- Byrne, B. (2006). Structural Equation Modeling With EQS, Basic Concepts, Applications, and Programming. 2th Edition. London; LEA Publishers.
- Chandon, P., Wansink, B., & Laurent, G. (2000). A benefit congruency framework of sales promotion effectiveness. Journal of Marketing, 64(4), 1-64.
- Choi, S., & Mattila, A.S. (2008). Perceived controllability and service expectations: Influence on customer reactions following service failure. Journal of Business Research, 61(1), 24-30.
- Dorian-Laurentiu, F. (2015). The relationship between branding and diffusion of innovation: A systematic review. Procedia Economics and Finance, 23(1), 1527-1534.
- Dube, L., & Maute, M. (1996). The antecedents of brand switching, brand loyalty and verbal responses to service failure. In Brown, S. (Ed.), Advances in Services Marketing and Management: Research and Practices. Greenwich, CT: JAL.
- Farquhar, P.H. (1989). Managing Brand equity. Journal of Marketing Research, 1(3), 24-33.
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18, 39-50.
- Gilaninia, S.H., & Mousavian, J. (2010). The effect of brand loyalty on brand equity of bank in ATM customer perspective. Journal of Technology Management of Faculty of Humanities, 14(1), 103-120.
- Guo, C. (2002). Market orientation and business performance: A framework for service organizations. European Journal of Marketing, 36(9/10), 1154-1163.
- Hair, J.F., Anderson, R.E., Tatham, R.L., & Black, W.C. (1995). Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings. New York, NY: Prentice-Hall.
- Hatcher, L. (1994). A Step by Step Approach to Using the SAS System for Factor Analysis and Structural Equation Modeling, Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.
- Hess, R.L. (2008). The impact of firm reputation and failure severity on customers’ responses to service failures. Journal of Services Marketing, 22(5), 385-398.
- Jonhnston, R., & Jones, P. (2004). Service productivity: Towards understanding the relationship between operational and customer productivity. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 53(3), 201-213,
- Keller, K.L. (2003). Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring, and Managing Brand Equity. 2nd Ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Keller, K.L. (2008). Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring, and Managing Brand Equity. 3rd Edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice-Hall.
- Keller, K.L., & Lehmann, D.R. (2006). Brands and branding: Research findings and future priorities. Marketing Science, 25(6), 740-759.
- Lee, Y.K., Back, K.J., & Kim, J.Y. (2009). Family restaurant brand personality and its impact on customer’s emotion, satisfaction, and brand loyalty. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 33(3), 305-328.
- Liao, S., & Cheng, C.J. (2014). Brand equity and the exacerbating factors of product innovation failure evaluations: A communication effect perspective. Journal of Business Research, 67(1), 2919-2925.
- Marwa, S., & Zairi, M. (2008). An exploratory study of the reasons for the collapse of contemporary companies and their link with the concept of quality. Management Decision, 46(1), 1342-1370.
- Matear, S., Osborne, P., Garrett, T., & Gray, B. (2002). How does market orientation contribute to service firm performance? An examination of alternative mechanisms. European Journal of Marketing, 36(9/10), 1058-1075.
- McColl-Kennedy, J., & Sparks, B. (2003). Application of fairness theory to service failures and service recovery. Journal of Service Research, 5(3), 251-265.
- Munteanu, C.C. (2011). The effect of the economic crisis on the value of global brands. Ovidius University Annals: Economic Sciences Series, 11(2), 879-888.
- Nunally, J.C., & Bernstein, I.H. (1994). Psychometric Theory. 3ª Edition. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- OECD (2005). Oslo Manual Guidelines for Collecting and Interpreting Innovation Data. Paris: Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development: Statistical Office of the European Communities.
- Oliver, R.L. (1997). Satisfaction: A Behavioral Perspective on the Consumer. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Oliver, R.L., & DeSarbo, W.S. (1988). Response determinants in satisfaction judgments. Journal of Consumer Research, 14(1), 495-507.
- Peres, R., Muller, E., & Mahajan, V. (2010). Innovation diffusion and new product growth models: A critical review and research directions. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 27(2), 91-106.
- Rizova, P. (2006). Are you networked for successful innovation? MIT Sloan Management Review, 47(3), 48-55.
- Roehm, M.L. & Brady, M.K. (2007). Consumer responses to performance failures by high-equity brands. Journal of Consumer Research, 34(1), 537-545.
- Sayedjavadyn, R., Amini, A.S., & Amini, Z. (2010). Assessment of the impact of brand on industrial customer loyalty. Commercial Management Perspective, 36(1), 57-74.
- Simon, C.J., & Sullivan, M.W. (1993). The measurements and determinants of brand equity: A financial approach. Marketing Science, 12(1), 28-33.
- Sloot, L.M., Verhoef, P.C., & Franses, P.H. (2005). The impact of brand equity and the hedonic level of products on consumer stock-put reactions. Journal of Retailing, 81(1), 15-34.
- Smith, A.K., & Bolton, R.N. (2002). The effects of customers’ emotional responses to service failures on their recovery effort evaluations and satisfaction judgments. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 30(1), 5-23.
- Staake, T., Thiesse, F., & Fleisch, E. (2009). The emergence of counterfeit trade: A literature review export. European Journal of Marketing, 43(3/4), 320-349.
- Tax, S., Brown, S.W., & Chandrashekaran, M. (1998). Customer evaluations of service complaint experiences: Implications for relationship marketing. Journal of Marketing, 62(2), 60-76.
- Weiner, B. (2000). Attributional thoughts about consumer behavior. Journal of Consumer Research, 27(3), 382-387.
- Woods, S.L., & Moreau, C.P. (2006). From fear to loathing? How emotion influences the evaluation and the early use of innovations. Journal of Marketing, 70(1), 44-57.