Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 06 April 2020
Consumer Perceptions and Expectations of Service Quality: Assessment through SERVQUAL Dimensions
Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP), Bangladesh
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Customer, Expectation, Perception, Satisfaction, SERVQUAL
Service quality is very important to attract and retain customers in today's competitive business environment. Using the SERVQUAL model this research evaluates customers' expectations against their perceptions of the service quality in a private financial institute at Dhaka city of Bangladesh. To measure respondent's satisfaction level with the provided service quality of financial institutes. Fifty (50) clients were interviewed where the sample was selected non-randomly. The results showed that respondents' expectations and perception level markedly varied with the service provided by a financial institution. However, SERVQUAL tangible dimension indicated a small gap between expectation and perception level. The study concluded that level of customers' expectations on the service quality from any private financial service providers was higher than they perceived earlier. Customer services of private financial institutes should improve further through high quality services to achieve their optimum level of businesses.
- Gagliano, K.B. & Hathcote. J (1994). Customer Expectations and Perceptions of Service Quality in Retail Apparel Specialty Stores. Journal of Services Marketing, Volume.8, Issue No 1, pp. 60-69.
- Zeithaml, V.A. and Bitner, M.J. (1996). Services Marketing. McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Mulder, P. (2018). SERVQUAL Model. Retrieved from Tools Hero: https://www.toolshero.com/quality-
- Gronroos. (1982). A Service Quality Model and its Marketing Implications. European Journal of Marketing Volume 18, Issue 4.
- Van Iwaarden, J., van der Wiele, T., Ball, L., and Millen, R. (2003). Applying SERVQUAL to web sites: An exploratory study, International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management Vol.20, No.8, pp. 919-935.
- Gabbie, O. and O'Neill, M.A. (1996). SERVQUAL and the Northern Ireland hotel sector: A comparative analysis–Part 1, Managing Service Quality, Vol.6, No.6, pp. 25-32.