Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 01 November 2019
Designing and Deploying an E-Business Model for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in Saudi Arabia
Abbas Batwa, Rami H. Alamoudi
King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: E-Business, Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Linguistic Barriers
This work was carried out to deploy e-business and e-commerce through small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Saudi Arabia. To that end, a study on market behaviour was conducted, and a model was developed to transfer from traditional business to e-business. Finally, an application of this model was applied in a local small business. A study was carried out to find the two main characteristics of SMEs in Saudi Arabia: the level of adoption of e-business and the most significant limitations and barriers to this adoption. According to a survey of one hundred and nine SMEs in Saudi Arabia, 14% were found to depend only on e-mails for communication purposes. A total of 76% were found to have used websites for marketing their businesses. Six percent were already using e-commerce for online sales, and only 4% of Saudi SMEs had fully integrated e-business systems through their supply chains. The results also showed that organizational, technical and economic barriers are the most significant in terms of e-business adoption. Therefore, when the model was under development, these three groups of barriers were used as criteria. After the study was conducted, a model was developed in the form of a strategy to transform traditional businesses into e-businesses. A new strategy was introduced that combines in-sourcing and outsourcing with the help of e-commerce site builders. Finally, this research will contribute to deploying e-business systems among SMEs in Saudi Arabia to align them with current market needs and consumer expectations better and to sustain competitive advantage.
- Abid, A., & Rahim, M. (2010). Understanding factors affecting e-business technology introduction by Saudi small and medium enterprises (SMEs): Toward developing a conceptual framework. In Australia Conference Paper. Caulfield School of IT, Monash University.
- Ahmed, A. M. (2006). Global benchmarking for internet and e‐commerce applications. Benchmarking: An International Journal, 13(1/2), 68-80.
- Al-Gahtani, S. (2003). Computer technology adoption in Saudi Arabia: Correlates of perceived innovation attributes. Information Technology for Development, 10, 57-69.
- Al-Ghaith, W., Sanzogni, L., & Sandhu, K. (2010.) Factors influencing the adoption and usage of online services in Saudi Arabia. The Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries, 40(1), 1-32.
- Al-Qirim, N. (2006.) Personas of e-commerce adoption in small businesses in New Zealand. JECO, 4, 18-45.
- Amor, D. (2000.) The E-business (R) evolution. Dedham, MA: Galileo Press Conference
- Bharadwaj, P., & Soni, R. (2007.) E-commerce usage and perception of e-commerce issues among small firms: Results and implications from an empirical study. Journal of Small Business Management, 45, 501-521.
- Harsono, A. (2014.) The Role of E-business in supply chain management. Journal of Academia.Edu, 1(4)
- IBM i2 & Ariba. (2000). E-marketplaces, changing the way we do business whitepaper. Retrieved from .
- Jeddah Chamber. (2015). Small and medium enterprises in Saudi Arabia report, July 2015. Retrieved from
- My Computer Pioneer. (2016). About us. Retrieved from
- OECD. (2004). ICT, E-Business and small and medium enterprises, OECD Digital Economy Papers, No. 86: OECD Publishing.
- Rahim, M. D., Abid, A. A., & Scheepers, H. (2010.) Perceived benefits and barriers of e-business technology adoption: An exploratory study of the victorian SME suppliers. In Paper presented at the 14th International Business Information Management Association (IBIMA) Conference. Istanbul, Turkey.
- Rodgers, J., Yen, D., & Chou, D. (2002.) Developing e-business: A strategic approach. Information Management & Computer Security Journal, 10, 184-192.
- Sait, S., Al-Tawil, K., & Hussain, S. (2004.) E-Commerce in Saudi Arabia: Adoption and perspectives. Australasian Journal of Information Systems, 12(1).
- Taylor, M. (2004.) SMEs and e‐business. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 11(3), 280-289.
- Top 10. (2016). Top 10 ecommerce site builders. Retrieved from
- Wix Site Builder. (2016). Features. Retrieved from
- Zaied, A. N. (2012.) Barriers to E-Commerce adoption in Egyptian SMEs. International Journal of Information Engineering and Electronic Business, 4, 9-18.