Journal of Economics and Business
ISSN 2615-3726 (Online)
ISSN 2621-5667 (Print)
Published: 20 January 2020
Determinants of Board Independence in the Banking Sector of Bangladesh
Md. Rezaul Karim, Ranjan Kumar Mitra, Ibrahim Khan
University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Board Independence, Corporate Governance, Banking Sector, Bangladesh
This paper examines the determinants of board independence in the banking sector of Bangladesh. The study applies a multivariate panel regression analysis for the thirty banks listed with DSE covering the period from 2006 to 2016. We use the proportion of independent directors to total number of directors on the board to measure board independence. Findings of the empirical analysis show that a board is likely to be more independent when independent directors have relevant skill and knowledge as required by prevailing corporate governance regulation. Besides, this paper finds that the boards of larger firms are more independent than those of smaller firms. Moreover, the boards of the levered firms tend to be more independent because debt holders exert intense pressure to implement stringent monitoring mechanisms. Another vital finding of this paper is that board independence is lower for older firms. A plausible reason might be that matured firms devise stricter and more efficient internal control mechanisms that offset the need for independent board. This study also reports findings that are contrary to the traditional belief. For example, we find that longer tenure and prior relationship of independent directors with the firm increases board independence by developing a sense of dedicative attachment of the independent directors with the firm. On the other hand, larger and active boards tend to be an impediment for board independence. Finally, we find no association of board independence with growth opportunity, profitability, and board gender diversity. The findings will have policy implications in designing the role of board independence.
- Abdullah S., Abidin N.Z., Bakar I.A. and Rahman, A. (2016), “The Appointment Process for Independent Directors in Malaysian Listed Companies”, Corporate Ownership and Control, 14(1).
- Adhikary, B. and Mitra, R. (2016), “Determinants of Audit Committee Independence in the Financial Sector of Bangladesh”, Applied Finance and Accounting, 2(2), pp. 46.
- Al-Najjar, B. (2011), “The Determinants of Audit Committee Independence and Activity: Evidence from the UK”, International Journal of Auditing, 15(2), pp.191-203.
- Altuwaijri, B. and Kalyanaraman, L. (2016), “Is Excess Board Independence Good for Firm Performance? An Empirical Investigation of Non-Financial Listed Firms in Saudi Arabia”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Aspris, A. and Frino, A. (2011), “Board Independence, Stock Liquidity, and Price Efficiency”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Bainbridge, S. (2002), “A Critique of the NYSE's Director Independence Listing Standards”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Balasubramanian, B. (2017), “Director Independence in Controlled Companies - The Way Forward”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Bhagat, S. and Black, B. (1998), “The Non-Correlation Between Board Independence and Long-Term Firm Performance”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Ltd, A. (2018), “The importance of independent directors”, Times of Malta. Available at: [Accessed 16 Feb. 2018].
- Brickley, J., Coles, J. and Terry, R. (1994), “Outside directors and the Adoption of Poison Pills”, Journal of Financial Economics, 35(3), pp. 371-390.
- Broughman, B. (2008), “The Role of Independent Directors in VC-Backed Firms”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Byrd, J. and Hickman, K. (1992), “Do Outside Directors Monitor Managers?”, Journal of Financial Economics, 32(2), pp. 195-221.
- Cai, Y., Xu, J. and Yang, J. (2016), “Affiliated Corporate Donations and Director Independence”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Chatterjee, D. (2009), “Independent Directors and Current Legal Perspectives in India”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Chen, L. and Moers, F. (2011), “The Market for Independent Directors”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Clarke, D. (2006), “Setting the Record Straight: Three Concepts of the Independent Director”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Clifford, P. and Evans, R. (1997), “Non-Executive Directors: A Question of Independence”, Corporate Governance, 5(4), pp.224-231.
- Cohen, L., Frazzini, A. and Malloy, C. (2009), “Hiring Cheerleaders: Board Appointments of 'Independent' Directors”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Cukurova, S. (2014), “What Do Outside Directors Learn Around Annual Meetings? Evidence from Insider Trading”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Dou, Y., Sahgal, S. and Zhang, E. (2015), “Should Independent Directors Have Term Limits? The Role of Experience in Corporate Governance”, Financial Management, 44(3), pp. 583-621.
- Ebrahim, A. and Black, H. (2013), “Board Independence Impact on Insider Trading, Before and After SOX”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Ey.com. (2018)., “Role of Independent Directors in Corporate Governance”, EY India [online] Available at: [Accessed 16 Feb. 2018].
- Fama, E. (1980), “Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm”, Journal of Political Economy, 88(2), pp. 288-307.
- Fama, E. and French, K. (1992), “The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns” The Journal of Finance, 47(2), p. 427.
- Fama, E. and Jensen, M. (1998), “Separation of Ownership and Control”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Fogel, K., Ma, L. and Morck, R. (2014), “Powerful Independent Directors”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Germain, L., Galy, N. and Lee, W. (2012), “The Determinants of Corporate Board Size and Independence: Evidence from Malaysia”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Gutierrez, U.M. and SaezLacave, M. (2012), “Deconstructing Independent Directors”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Jenwittayaroje, N. and Jiraporn, P. (2017), “Do Independent Directors Improve Firm Value? Evidence from the Great Recession”, International Review of Finance.
- Johanson, D. and Ostergren, K. (2010), “The Movement Toward Independent Directors on Boards: A Comparative Analysis of Sweden and the UK”, Corporate Governance: An International Review, 18(6), pp. 527-539.
- Kang, S. (2013), “Experienced Independent Directors”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Kanagaretnam, K., Lobo, G. and Whalen, D. (2013), “Relationship between Board Independence and Firm Performance Post Sarbanes Oxley”, Corporate Ownership and Control, 11(1).
- Keasey, K. and Hudson, R. (2002), “Non‐executive Directors and the Higgs Consultation Paper, Review of the Role and Effectiveness of Non‐executive Directors” Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, 10(4), pp.361-371.
- King, R. and Peng, Q. (2007), “Does the Reputation of Independent Non-Executive Directors Matter: Evidence from Hong Kong”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Klein, A. (1998), “Firm Performance and Board Committee Structure”, The Journal of Law and Economics, 41(1), pp. 275-304.
- Kossoff, K. (1983), “Director Independence and Derivative Suit Settlements”, Duke Law Journal, 1983(3), p. 645.
- Kumar, N. and Singh, J. (2012), “Outside Directors, Corporate Governance and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence from India”, Asian Journal of Finance & Accounting, 4(2).
- Lai, B. (2014), “Are Independent Directors Effective Corporate Monitors? An Analysis of the Empirical Evidence in the USA and Canada”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Laux, V. (2008), “Board Independence and CEO Turnover”, Journal of Accounting Research, 46(1), pp. 137-171.
- Liu, W. (2011), “Board Independence and Long-Term Firm Performance: The Initial Quest of Effective Board Paradigm - A Survey Based on Nonlinear Regression Equation Modeling”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Ltd, A. (2018), “The importance of independent directors”, Times of Malta, Available at: https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20140213/business-comment/The-importance-of-independent-directors.506609 [Accessed 16 Feb. 2018].
- Ma, J. and Khanna, T. (2015), “Independent directors' dissent on boards: Evidence from listed companies in China”, Strategic Management Journal, 37(8), pp. 1547-1557.
- McLean, R. (1997), “Agency Problems, Equity Ownership, and Corporate Diversification”, CFA Digest, 27(4), pp. 49-51.
- Nguyen, T., Evans, E. and Lu, M. (2017), “Independent directors, ownership concentration and firm performance in listed companies”, Pacific Accounting Review, 29(2), pp. 204-226.
- Peecher, M., Rowe, S. and Sivadasan, P. (2015), “Are All Outside Directors Independent? An Investigation of the Compliant Director Market”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Pichet, E. (2013), “Defining and Selecting Independent Directors”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Podder, J., Skully, M. and Brown, K. (2013), “Independent Directors and Risk Taking: Evidence from Listed US Insurance Companies”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Ramdani, D. and Witteloostuijn, A. (2010), “The Impact of Board Independence and CEO Duality on Firm Performance: A Quantile Regression Analysis for Indonesia, Malaysia, South Korea and Thailand”, British Journal of Management, 21(3), pp. 607-627.
- Ravina, E. and Sapienza, P. (2008), “What Do Independent Directors Know? Evidence from Their Trading”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Santella, P., Drago, C. and Paone, G. (2007), “Who Cares About Director Independence?”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Santella, P., Paone, G. and Drago, C. (2006), “How Independent are Independent Directors? The Case of Italy”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Stein, G. and Plaza, S. (2011), “The Role of the Independent Director in CEO Supervision and Turnover”, Corporate Ownership and Control, 9(1).
- The Report of the Cadbury Committee on the Financial Aspects of Corporate Governance: The Code of Best Practice, (1993), Corporate Governance: An International Review, 1(3), pp.124-124.
- Wan, K. (2003), “Independent Directors, Executive Pay, and Firm Performance”, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Wang, Y. and Young, A. (2010), “Does Firm Performance Affect Board Independence?”, Corporate Board: Role, Duties and Composition, 6(2).
- Ye, K. (2014), “Independent Director Cash Compensation and Earnings Management”, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, 33(4), pp. 391-400.
- Zhang, X. and Zhou, F. (2010), “How Do Companies Adjust their Independent Directors after a Mishap - Evidence from Independent Directors’ Background”, Journal of Service Science and Management, 03(03), pp. 336-344.