Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 23 September 2019
Determinants of Entrepreneurial Intent Among University Students: The Case of Marien Ngouabi University
Marien Ngouabi University
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Determinant, Entrepreneurial Intent, University Students, Marien NGOUABI University
Government and policy makers in Congo-Brazzaville are faced with different social-economic problems. One of the most pressing challenges facing Congo especially in the face of economy recession is unemployment problem among the graduates. Marien NGOUABI University have introduced entrepreneurship education to promote the interest of graduates to becoming future entrepreneurs. This Research aimed to establish and explain factors that influence entrepreneurial intentions among university students in Congo brazzaville. The target is university graduates students. The data was gathered at University-enterprise partnerships department. The survey was structured and planned at a time when student’s graduates were gathered in rectorat in May 2017, for seminar about self-marketing conducted by the University-enterprise partnerships department. A total of 2800 students were selected, they were graduate from different major area, aged between 20 and 35 years old. Results from logistic regression analysis showed that gender, tutor education, Field of study, parents own a business, having a job while at university, Parent's monthly income, desire for independence, living with parents together, school calendar were the key factors that influence students' entrepreneurial intention.
- Adze(2018) et al, what push student to have entrepreneurship intentions, Journal of Asia Industrial Training, 21(4), 154-160.
- Ajzen, I., (1991), The theory of planned behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 179-211.
- Akhteruddin, M. (1999), A Case Study of Sokme Successful and Unsuccessful Entrepreneurs in Bangladesh. Journal of Business Administration, 25 (1/2), University of Dhaka.(Arch, 1993.
- Audet, J. (2004), L'impact de deux projets de session sur les perceptions et intentions Entrepreneuriales d'étudiants en administration, Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp.223–240.
- Autio, e, keeley, r. h., klofsten, m. & ulfstedt, T. (1997), Entrepreneurial intent among students. Testing an intent in Asia, Scandinavia and USA. In Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, Proceedings of the 17th Annual Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference.
- Bilic, I., Prka, A., & Vidovic, G. (2011), How does education influence entrepreneurship orientation? Case study of Croatia,Management, 16(1), 115–128.
- Bird, B. (1988), Implementing entrepreneurial ideas: the case for intention, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 442-453.
- Bird, B. (1998), Implementing Entrepeneurial Ideas: The Case for Intention, Academy of Management Review,13, 442-453.
- Bosma, N.S., Wennekers, S. and Amorós, J.E. (2012), Global Entrepreneurship Monitor 2011 Extended Global Report: Entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial employees across the globe, Babson Park, MA, US: Babson College, Santiago, Chile: Universidad del Desarollo, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Universiti Tun Abdul Razak and London, UK: Global Entrepreneurship Research Association.
- Boyd, N.G. and G. S. Vozikis (1994), The influence of self-efficacy on the development of entrepreneurial intentions and actions, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice 1: 63-77.
- Busenitz LW. and Barney JB. (1997), Differences between entrepreneurs and managers in large organizations: Biases and heuristics in strategic decision-making, Journal of Business Venturing 12(1): 9–30.
- Byrnes, J. P., D. C. Miller, & W. D. Schafer. (1999), Gender Differences in Risk Taking: A MetaAnalysis, Psychological Bulletin, 125(3), 367–383.
- Cantillon, Richard. (1755), Essai Sur La Nature Du Commerce en General, London, Gyles.
- Carr, J. & Sequeira, J. (2007), Prior family business exposure as intergenerational influence and entrepreneurial intent: A Theory of Planned Behaviour Approach, Journal of Business Research, 60 (10), pp. 1090-1098.
- Crant, J.M. (1996), The proactive personality scale as a predictor of entrepreneurial intentions, Journal of Small Business Management, 34, 3, 42-49.
- Davidsson, P. (1995), Determinants of entrepreneurial intentions. Paper prepared for the RENT IX Workshops, 23-24.
- Dell, M. S. (2008), An investigation of undergraduate student self-employment intention and the impact of entrepreneurship education and previous entrepreneurial experience. Doctor of Philosophy Thesis, School of Business University The Australia.
- DELMAR, F., DAVIDSSON, P. Where do they come from? Prevalence and characteristics of nascent entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, v. 12, n.1, p. 1-23, 2000.
- Douglas, E. J., & Shepherd, D. A. (2002). Self-employment as a career choice: Attitudes, entrepreneurial intentions, and Knowledge context and entrepreneurial intentions among students utility maximization. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 26(3), 81–90.
- Douglas, E.J. and Fitzsimmons, J.R. (2005) Entrepreneurial Intentions towards Individualvs. Corporate Entrepreneurship. SEAANZ 2005 Conference, Armidale,NSW, September 2005, 25-30.
- Drennan, J., Kennedy, J., & Renfrow, P. (2005), Impact of childhood experiences on the development of entrepreneurial intentions, The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 231-238.
- Fayolle, F. Liñán, (2013), The Future of Research on Entrepreneurial Intentions , Journal of Business Research, 67 (5) pp. 663-666.
- Franke, N, & Luthje, C. (2004), Entrepreneurial intentions of business students: a benchmark Study. Int J Innov Technol Management, 1(3), 269–288.
- Gree, A, & Thurnik, C. (2003), Firm selection and industry evolution: the post country performance of new firm, Econ, 4(4), 243–264.
- Herrington, M, Kew, J, & Kew, P. (2009). Global Entrepreneurship Monitor, South African report.
- Iro-Idoro and al, (2017), Entrepreneurship Education And Self-Efficacy: Strategies For Reducing Unemployment Problem Among Nigerian Graduates ,
- IOSR Journal Of Humanities And Social Science (IOSR-JHSS),
- Volume 22, Issue 12, Ver. 5 (December. 2017) PP 34-39 .
- Ismail, M, Khalid, SA, Othman, M, Jusoff, HK, Rahman, NA, Kassim, KM, & Zain, RS. (2009), Entrepreneurial intention among Malaysian undergraduates. Int J Bus Management, 4(10), 54–60.
- Karimi R, et al., (2014). Mercury-nutrient signatures in seafood and in the blood of avid seafood consumers, Sci. Total. Environ 496,PP 636–643
- (Fox, J. 2000.)
- (Kassean et al., 2015). Entrepreneurship education: A need for reflection, real-world experience action, Int J Entrepreneur Behav Res, 21(5), 690–708. .
- Kew, P., Turton, N., Herrington, M. and Christensen, J.D. (2013), The state of entrepreneurship in the Free State: A baseline study of entrepreneurial intentions and activity amongst young men and women. South Africa SME Observatory.
- Kolvereid, L. and Isaksen, E. (2006) ‘New business start-up and subsequent entry into self employment’, Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp.866–885.
- Krueger, N.F. & Brazeal, D.V. (1994), Entrepreneurial potential and potential entrepreneurs, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Vol. 18, pp. 91-91.
- Krueger, N.F. What Lies Beneath? The Experiential Essence of Entrepreneurial Thinking, Entrep. Theory Pract.2007, 31, 123–138.
- Krueger, N. F. Jr., Reilly, M. D., Carsrud, A. L. (2000), Competing models of
- entrepreneurial intentions, Journal of Business Venturing, 15, 411- 432.
- Krueger, N. (1993), The Impact of Prior Entrepreneurial Exposure on Perceptions of New Venture Feasibility and Desirability.Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 18 (1),pp. 5-21.
- Laspita, S., Breugst, N., Heblich, S. and Patzelt, H. (2012), Intergenerational transmission of entrepreneurial intentions’, Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp.414–435.
- LEE, S. H.; WONG, P. K.( 2004) An exploratory study of technopreneurial intentions: A career anchor perspective, Journal of Business Venturing. v. 19, n. 1, p. 7-28.
- Liñán, F. (2004). Intention based model of entrepreneurial education. Piccolla Impresa/Small Business 3(1):11-35.Ma and Tan (2006).
- Maas, G, & Herrington, M. (2006). Global Entrepreneurship, Monitor South Africa report.
- Max Weber (1930) the protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism translated byTalcott parsons, London Allen &Unwin.
- McClelland, D. (1961) The Achieving Society, Collier- Macmillan Free Press New York.
- Nabi, et. al., (2006) Graduate career-making and business start up ; a littérature review , Education + Training , Vol. 18 No 5, PP. 373-85.
- NUENO (1995), Emprendiendo – El arte de crear empresas y sus artistas. Bilbao: Ediciones Deusto S. A.
- Oren, L., Caduri, A. & Tziner, A. (2013). Intergenerational occupational transmission: Do offspring walk in the footsteps of mom Or dad, or both? Journal of Vocational Behavior, 83(3), 1-551.
- Parker, (2004), The economics of self-employment and entrepreneurship , Cambridge , Cambridge university press.
- Peterman, N.E. and Kennedy, J. (2003), Enterprise education: Influencing students ‘perceptions of entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 28, 2, 129-144.
- Pihie, L. & Akmaliah, Z. (2009), Entrepreneurship as a career choice: An analysis of entrepreneurial self-efficacy and intention of university students, European Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 2,pp. 338-349.
- (Rezia, 2000).
- Ronstadt, R. (1990), the educated entrepreneurs: a new era of entrepreneurial education is beginning. In Kent,C.A. (Ed.), Entrepreneurship education: current developments, future directions. Quorum Books, Westport.
- Shapero, A. and Sokol, L. (1982), The Social Dimensions of Entrepreneurship. In: Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurship, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 72-90.
- Shaver and Scott, L. R. (1991), Person, process, choice: the psychology of new venture creation, Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 2,pp. 38-49.
- Schumpeter, J.A. (1934), The Theory of Economic Development. Harvard University,Cambridge.
- Siyanbola et al. (2009), Determinants of entrepreneurial propensity of Nigerian undergraduates: an empirical assessment, Published in: International Journal of Business Environment , Vol. 5, No. 1 (2012): pp. 1-29.
- Souitaris, V., Zerbinati, S., & Al-Laham, A. (2007), Do entrepreneurship programmes raise entrepreneurial intention of science and engineering students? The effect of learning, inspiration and resources. Journal of Business
- Venturing, 22(4), 566–591.
- Starkweather and Moske (2011) , multinomial logistic regression , consulted page at September 10 th, untedu/rss/class/jon/benchmarks /MLR_JDS_aug 2011, pdf 29, 2825 2830.
- Tkachev, A., & Kolvereid, L. (1999). Self-employment intentions among Russian students, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 11(3), 269-280.
- Turker, D. and Sonmez Selcuk, S. (2009), Which Factors Affect Entrepreneurial Intention of University Students? Journal of European Industrial Training, 33, 142-159.
- Urbano, David & Aparicio, Sebastian, (2016), Entrepreneurship capital types and economic growth: International evidence, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 34-44.
- Van der Sluis, J., Van Praag, M., & Vijverberg, W. (2005), Entrepreneurship selection and performance: A meta-analysis of the impact of education in developing economies, The World Bank Economic Review, 19(2), 225-261.
- Praag, M., and Jan Cramer(2001) The Roots of Entrepreneurship and Labour Demand: Individual Ability and Low Risk Aversionmars.firstname.lastname@example.org) Economica, vol. 68, issue 269, 45-62.
- Wärneryd, K-E. (1988), The Psychology of Innovative Entrepreneurship. In: W.F. van Raaij, G.M. van Veldhoven & K-E. Wärneryd (eds.) Handbook of Economic Psychology , Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Wilson, F., D. Marlino, and J. Kickul. (2004), Our entrepreneurial future: Examining the diverse attitudes and motivations of teens across gender and ethnic identity, Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 9 (3): 177-197.
- Wu, S., & Wu, L. (2008), The impact of higher education on entrepreneurial intentions of university students in China. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, Vol.15, No. 4, pp. 752-774.
- Zain, Z. M., Akram, A. M., & Ghani, E. K. (2010), Entrepreneurship Intentions Among Malaysian Business Students. Canadian Social Science, 6(3), 34–44.