Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 30 march 2020
Dynamic Capabilities and Performance: The Mediating Role of Firm Competence
Gabriel Kitenga, J. M. Kilika, A. W. Muchemi
Kenyatta University, Kenya
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Dynamic Capabilities, Firm Competence, Firm Performance
This study aimed at determining the mediating effect of firm competence on the relationship between dynamic capabilities and performance. The study was founded on positivism philosophy and adopted an explanatory and exploratory research design. The population of the study comprised of 70 food manufacturing firms in, Kenya. Stratified random sampling method was used to identify a sample of 295 respondents. A semi-structured self-administered questionnaire was used to collect primary data. Prior to data collection, a pilot study was conducted to ensure reliability of the questionnaire. The reported findings were obtained from 190 respondents who were senior managers in the respondent firms responsible for finance, human resources, operations marketing and corporate relations. Measures of central tendency including the mean and standard deviation were used to summarize the variable characteristics Data was analyzed using descriptive statistics. Multiple regression analysis was used to test the study hypotheses. The findings of the study showed that dynamic capabilities have a significant direct effect on performance and that the effect of dynamic capabilities on performance is partially mediated by firm competence. The findings also showed that firm competence has a direct and significant effect on performance also that dynamic capabilities can partially mediate the effect of firm competence on firm performance.
- Agha, S., Alrubaiee, L. & Jamhour, N. (2012) Effect of Core Competence on Competitive Advantage and Organizational Performance International Journal of Business and Management Vol. 7, No. 1; January 2012 www.ccsenet.org/ijbm
- Alvarez, S. & Barney, J. (2000). Entrepreneurial Capabilities: A Resource-Based View, Entrepreneurship as Strategy: Competing on Entrepreneurial Edge Thousand Oaks, London, and New Delhi: Sage Publications.
- Alvarez, V. S. & Merino, T. G. (2003). The history of organizational renewal: evolutionary models of Spanish savings and loans institutions. Organization Studies, (9), 1437-1461.
- Akintoye, I.R. (2008) “Sensitivity of Performance to Capital Structure: A Consideration for Selected Food and Beverages Companies in Nigeria”. Journal of Social Sciences,Hellenic Open University, Greece. Vol. 7 Issue 1. Pp. 29-35.
- Ambrosini, V., Bowman, C. & Collier, N. (2009). What are Dynamic Capabilities and are they a useful construct in strategic management? International Journal of Management Reviews doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2370.2008.00251.
- Arend, R.J. (2014). Social and environmental Performance at SMEs: considering motivations, capabilities, and instrumentalism. Journal of Business Ethics 125: 541-561.
- Arend, R. J., & Bromiley P. (2009). Assessing the Dynamic Capabilities view: spare change, everyone? Strategic organization Vol 7(1):75–90
- Barney, J. B., Wright, M. & Ketchen, J. D. (2001). The Resource-Based View of the Firm. Journal of Management. 27(625) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228558289_
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). the moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 1173-1182.
- Chang, C. (2012). Exploring IT entrepreneurs' Dynamic Capabilities using Q-technique", Industrial Management & Data Systems, Vol. 112 Iss 8 pp. 1201 – 1216: http://dx.doi.org
- Chang C & K Kuo C (2013) Exploring Dynamic Capabilities of executives for core strategy African Journal of Business Management Vol. 7(40), pp. 4188-4198, 28 October 2013 DOI: 10.5897/AJBM12.1261 ISSN 1993-8233 http://www.academicjournals.org/AJBM
- Combs, J. G., Crook, T. R., & Shook, C. L. (2005). The dimension of organizational performance and its implications for strategic management research. In D. J. Ketchen & D. D. Bergh (Eds.), Research methodology in strategy and management (pp. 259-286). San Diego: Elsevier
- Cooper, C. R., & Schindler, P. S. (2008). Business research methods (10 ed.). Boston: McGraw-Hill.
- Creswell, J. W.& Plano C. (2011). Designing and conducting mixed method research (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Danneels, E. (2002), The dynamics of product innovation and Firm Competences: Strategic Management Journal Strat. Mgmt. J., 23: 1095–1121 (2002) Published online 19 September 2002 in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com). DOI: 10.1002/smj.275
- Day, G.S. (2012). Managing the market learning process. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, International Journal of Business and Management Vol. 7, No. 1; 17(4), 240–252
- Dubey R. & Ali, S.S. (2011), Study on Effect of Functional Competency on Performance of Indian Manufacturing Sector, International Journal of Engineering Business Management First Published January 1, 2011 Research Article https://doi.org/10.5772/50941
- Drnevich, P. &Kriauciunas A (2011) Clarifying the conditions and limits of the contributions of ordinary dynamic capabilities to relative firm performance. Strategic Management Journal. J 32: 254-279(2011) DOI 10.1002/sml.882
- Easterby-Smith, M., Marjorie A. Lyles & Margaret, A. (2008) Dynamic Capabilities: Current Debates and Future Directions British Journal of Management, Vol. 19, 235–249 DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8551.2008. 00609.x
- Fai, F. & Tunzelmann, V (2001) Technological core competencies: reality or myth? School of Management, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, UK.
- Field, A. P. (2005). Discovering statistics using SPSS, 2nd edition. London: Sage
- Gavrea, C., Ilieş, L., & Egerean, R. (2011). Determinants of organizational performance: The case of Romania. In Management & Marketing Challenges for the Knowledge Society (pp. 285-300).
- GOK (2018); Economic survey, Nairobi, Kenya
- Hayes A.F & Preacher, J. (2010) Quantifying and Testing Indirect Effects in Simple Mediation Models When the Constituent Paths Are Nonlinear Multivariate Behavioral Research, 45:627–660, Copyright © Taylor & Francis Group, LLC ISSN: 0027-3171 print/1532-7906 online DOI: 10.1080/00273171.2010.498290
- Hayes, A.F. (2009): Beyond Baron and Kenny: Statistical Mediation Analysis in the New Millennium, Communication Monographs, 76:4,408-420: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03637750903310360
- Helfat, C. E. (1997). Know-How and Asset Complementarity and Dynamic Capability Accumulation: The Case of R&D, Strategic Management Journal 18(5): 339–60.
- Helfat, C. E. & Peteraf, M. A. (2003). The Dynamic Resource-Based View: Capability Lifecycles Dynamic Capabilities Deconstructed’, Strategic Management Journal 24(10): 997–1010.
- Helfat C E & Peteraf, M.A. (2009): Understanding dynamic capabilities: progress along a developmental path. Strategic Organization Vol 7(1): 91–102
- Hill, C.W. L. & Jones, G. R. (2010). Strategic management theory an integrated approach (9th Ed). Mason, OH South-Western/Cengage learning https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/8643727
- Hubbard, G (2006) Measuring Organizational Performance: Beyond the Triple Bottom Line.Business Strategy and the Environment. Published online on 19 December 2006 in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com) DOI: 10.1002/bse.564
- Hung, R.Y., Yang, B., Lien, B.H., McLean, G. N. & Kuo, Y.M. (2010). Dynamic capability: Impact of process alignment and organizational learning culture on Performance. Journal of World Business 45(3): 285-294.
- Jabbouri, N. & Zahar, I. (2014). The role of core competencies on organizational Performance: an empirical study in the Iraqi private banking sector, European Scientific Journal June 2014 /SPECIAL/ edition vol.1 ISSN: 1857 – 7881
- Groen, Aard J. (2010). The Resource-Based View: A Review and Assessment of Its Critiques. Journal of Management. 36. 349-372. 10.1177/0149206309350775.
- Krejcie, R. V. & Daryle W. Morgan, D.W. (1970) Determining sample size for research activities. Educational and Psychological Measurement 1970, 30, 607-610. https://home.kku.ac.th
- Mackinnon D.P (2011) Integrating mediators and moderators in Research design NHIH Public Access Res Soc Work Pract. 2011 November; 21(6): 675–681. doi:10.1177/1049731511414148.
- Maltz, A.C., Shenhar, A.J. and Reilly, R.R. (2003). ‘Beyond the balanced scorecard. Refining the search for organizational success measures. Long Range Planning, 36: 187204
- Miller, T. L., & Wesley, I. I. (2010). Assessing mission and resources for social change: an organizational identity perspective on social venture capitalists' decision criteria. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 34(4): 705-733.
- Nguyen, T. M., (2008) Functional competencies and their effects on performance of manufacturing companies in Vietnam. PHD Thesis presented to the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences at the University of Fribourg (Switzerland).
- Peteraf, M. A., Di Stefano, G., & Verona, G. (2013). The elephant in the room of dynamic capabilities: Bringing two diverging conversations together. Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com).
- Peteraf, M.A. & Barney, J.B. (2003). Unravelling the resource-based tangle. Managerial and Decision Economics, Vol. 24, pp. 309-323.
- Pierre J. R., Timothy M. D., George S. Y. & Gerry J. (2009) Measuring organizational performance: Towards Methodological Best Practice, Journal of Management, 20(5): 78 - 80.
- Pisano, G. (2016) Towards a Prescriptive Theory of Dynamic Capabilities: Connecting Strategic Choice, Learning, and Competition. Harvard Business School Working Paper 16-146.
- Post, J.E., Preston, L.E. & Sachs, S. (2002). Managing the extended enterprise: the new stakeholder view. California Management Review 45(1): 6–28.
- Preacher, K. J., & Hayes, A. F. (2004). SPSS and SAS procedures for estimating indirect effects in simple mediation models. Behavior Research Methods, 36, 717-731.
- Prahalad, C.K. & Hamel, G. (1990) the core competence of the corporation , Harvard Business Review (v. 68, no. 3) pp. 79–91
- Promar Consulting (2016), promoting the development of food value chains in Africa 2015 – Kenya;Report prepared for Japanese Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF)http://www.maff.go.jp/j/kokusai/kokkyo/food_value_chain/attach/pdf/haifu_chousa27-31.pdf
- Protogerou, A., Caloghirou, Y. & Lioukas, S. (2011) Dynamic Capabilities and Their Indirect Impact on Firm Performance, DRUID Working Paper no. 08-11 JEL codes: ISBN: 978-87-7873-265-1
- Rehman, K. & Saeed, Z. (2015). Impact of Dynamic Capabilities on Firm Performance: Moderating Role of Organizational Competencies Journal of Business Management, Volume: 2, No. 2 | October 2015
- Richard, P.J., Devinney, T.M., Yip G.S. & and Johnson, G. (2009) Measuring Organizational Performance: Towards Methodological Best Practice, Journal of Management DOI: 10.1177/0149206308330560 2009 35: 718 originally published online 6 February 2009
- Saunders, M. Lewis, P. & Thornhill, A. (2007). Research methods for business,Students edition, Great Britain, Prentice Hall
- Sekaran, U. (2011). Research Methods: A skill building approach. John Wiley and Sons
- Stiles, Wi. (2003). When is a case study scientific research? Psychotherapy Bulletin. 38. 6-11. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284486969
- Teece, D.J. (2018), Business models and Dynamic Capabilities Long Range Planning Volume 51, Issue 1, February 2018, Pages 40-49: Institute for Business Innovation, F402 Haas School of Business, #1930, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720-1930, USA https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2017.06.007
- Teece, D. J., (2017), Dynamic Capabilities and (Digital) Platform Lifecycles, in Jeffrey Furman, Annabelle Gawer, Brian S. Silverman, Scott Stern (ed.) Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Platforms (Advances in Strategic Management, Volume 37) Emerald Publishing Limited, pp.211 – 225
- Teece, D. J. (2014). A dynamic capabilities-based entrepreneurial theory of the multinational enterprise. Journal of International Business Studies, 45(1), 8-37. doi: 10.1057/jibs.2013.54
- Teece, D. J. (2012). Dynamic capabilities: Routines versus entrepreneurial action. Journal of Management Studies, 49(8), 1395-1401.
- Teece, D. J. (2007). Explicating Dynamic Capabilities: The Nature and Micro foundations of (Sustainable) Enterprise Performance, Strategic Management Journal 28(13): 1319–50.
- Teece, D. J., G. Pisano, & A. Shuen (1997). Dynamic capabilities and strategic management. Strategic Management Journal, 18(7), 537–533. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199708)18:7<509::AID-SMJ882>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Wang, C. L. & Ahmed, P. K. (2007). Dynamic capabilities: a review and research agenda. The International Journal of Management Reviews, 9(1): 31-51.
- Wang, D., Su, Z., & Yang, D. (2011). Organizational culture and knowledge creation capability. Journal of Knowledge Management, 15(3) 363-373.
- Wei L & Lau, C (2010) High performance work systems and performance: The role of adaptive capability. Human Relations 63(10) 1487–1511 DOI: 10.1177/0018726709359720 hum.sagepub.com
- Weise, D., Figueredo, A.J., Garcia, R.A., Baca, T.C & Gable, J.C (2013) Revisiting Mediation in the Social and Behavioural Sciences, Journal of Methods and Measurement in the Social Sciences, Vol.4, No.1, 1-19, 2013
- Winter, S. G. (2003). Understanding dynamic capabilities. Strategic Management Journal, 24(10), 991-995.