Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 02 December 2019
Economic, Social and Political Openness on Unemployment in ASEAN
Stannia Cahaya Suci, Agus David Ramdansyah
University of Sultan Ageng Tirtayasa, Indonesia
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Unemployment, Panel Data, Economic Globalization, Social Globalization, Political Globalization
The level of globalization of several ASEAN countries has increased for decades. This increasing level of globalization shows that these countries are increasingly open in terms of economic, social and political aspects. It is widely debated the impact of this openness on developing countries. This paper aims to see the impact of economic, social and political openness on unemployment in several ASEAN countries. This study uses panel data from six countries in ASEAN from 2010-2015 with the KOF index. The study found that the increase of economic and social globalization has an impact on reducing unemployment in ASEAN, while the increase of political globalization could increase unemployment in ASEAN.
- Androniceanu, A., Comănescu, M., Dragulanescu, IV. 2017. The Impact of Globalization on the Unemployment in Europe. 29th IBIMA Conference. ISBN: 978-0-9860419-7-6
- Deluna R, Chelly A. 2014. Economic growth, financial and trade globalization in the Philippines: a vector autoregressive analysis. Munich Personal RePEc Archive Paper No. 60206; mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/60206/
- Dhas AC, Helen MJ. 2008. Impact of Globalisation and Economic Reforms on Employment in India. Munich Personal RePEc Archive. MPRA Paper No. 9597, http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/9597/
- Dreher A. 2006. Does globalization affect growth? Evidence from a new index of globalization. Applied Economics 38. 10: 1091-1110; dx.doi.org/10.1080/00036840500392078
- Dogan, Buhari. 2016. The Effects Of Globalization On Employment: Bounds Test Approach In Turkey Sample. Asian Economic and Financial Review, 2016, 6(10): 620-633
- ETH Zurich (KOF Swiss Economic Institute) 2019. KOF Index of Globalization. Zurich (CH).
- Gugushvili, A. 2006. How Globalisation Shapes Public Policy?. Munich Personal RePEc Archive Paper No. 2995. https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/2995/
- Kakar Z, Khilji B, Khan M. 2011. Globalization and Economic Growth: Evidence from Pakistan. ACTA Universitatis DanubiusVol.7, No.3/2011
- Majumder, R. 2009. Globalisation and Employment: A Prelude. MPRA Paper No. 12814.
- Moore, R., Lopes, J., 1999. Paper templates. In TEMPLATE’06, 1st International Conference on Template Production. SCITEPRESS.
- Näätänen, Ari-Matti.2 015. The Impact of Economic Globalization on the Employment Policies in 19 Western Democracies from 1985 to 2010. Limited Change or Radical Shift towards Workfare?. Soc. Sci. 2015, 4, 700–717; doi:10.3390/socsci4030700
- Pelegrinova L, Lancy M. 2013. The impact of globalization on economies of developed countries. Journal of Economic Development, Environment and People Volume 2, Issue 3, 2013; jedep.spiruharet.ro
- Pollin, Robert. 2008. Is Full Employment Possible under Globalization.Working Paper Series. Political Economy Research Institute (PERI). University of Massachusetts-Amherst
- Siddqa, A., Hussain, T., Qasim, M., Javed, Imran. "The Impact of Globalization on Unemployment and Economic Growth: Panel Data Analysis for Developing Countries. Bulletin of Business and Economics (BBE), Research Foundation for Humanity (RFH), vol. 7(3), pages 122-131, September.
- Sinn, HW. 2004. The Diemma of Globalisation: A german Perpective. Economic Internationale 100, 2004, pp. 111-120
- World Bank. 2019. World Development Indicator. Washington DC (US). http://data.worldbank.org
- Ying YH, Chang K, Lee CS. 2014. The impact of globalization on economic growth. Romanian Journal of Economic Forecasting – XVII (2) 2014
- Zuang R, Koo WW. 2007. Economic growth under globalization: evidence from panel data analysis. Selected Paper prepared for presentation at the American Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting, Portland, OR, July 29 – August 1, 2007