Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 10 April 2020
Emancipation of Workers' and Management Thoughts for Leveraging Performance in the Public Sector
Ansgar J. Sakaya
Mzumbe University, Tanzania
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Workers, Job Performance, Job Security, Public Sector, Tanzania
The study aimed at examining the role of Job Security in influencing workers' Performance in the Public Sector. Data were gathered through survey questionnaire from sample of 60 workers at Tandahimba district Council Head quarter in Tanzania. Sampling strategies used were stratified and simple random sampling. Data were analysed quantitatively through descriptive statistics-compared means, ANOVA, t-test, Kruskal-Wallis test and Factors analysis. Findings indicate that, significant differences exist between workers and their demographic characteristics towards job performance and job security; moreover, they also account for a portion of their performance problems. Persistence of performance problems in the public sector has been attributed to Governance factors like proficiency problems of line-managers. Behaviour factors of workers like poor attitude towards the employer, public funds and properties. Economic factors like workers' over-dependence on the government. The study recommends people in management levels in the public sector of Tanzania to embark on proper strategic management practices as all best practices for managing workers and their performance have already been laid down; the issue is how to use them strategically for better outcomes of workers and the government excellence. Helping Public workers to understand that, they are expected to be more patriotic in serving the public interest, act in due diligence in protecting public properties and funds, continue insisting public workers on the role of self-values and integrity in public service as it will help them couple with complex work conditions.
- Abdullah, I., Rashid, Y., & Omar, R. (2013). Effect of Personality on Job Performance of Employees: Empirical Evidence from Banking Sector of Pakistan Middle-East. Journal of Scientific Research, 17 (12):1735-1741.
- Ahmed, W., Yasir, M., Nawaz, R., Imran, and Nawaz, A. (2016). A Mediating Role of Job Security between Trust and Employees’ Performance: A Case of Private Sector Hospitals of Hazara Division, Pakistan. IOSR Journal of Business and Management Volume 18, Issue 9 .Ver. IV www.iosrjournals.org
- Albino, G. (2018). Technical and Behavioral Competencies on Performance Evaluation: Petrek Leaders’ Perspectives. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/2158244018780972
- Anwar, M. S., Aslam, M., and Tariq, M. R. (2011). Temporary Job and its Impact on Employee Performance. Global Journal of Management and Business Research Volume 11 Issue 8 Version 1.0. (USA)
- Armstrong, M. (2006). Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice, 10th Edition, Published at Kogan Page Limited.
- Awadh, I. M., Gichinga, L and Ahmed, A. H. (2015). Effects of workplace stress on employee performance in the county governments in Kenya: A case study of kilifi county government. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 5, Issue 10,
- Baker, M. J. and Fouad A. I. (1993). Organizational buying behavior in the Gulf, International Marketing Review, 10(6), 42-60.
- Beardwell, I. and Nell, (2001). Human Resources Contemporary Approach, 4th Ed, Person Education Ltd, London
- Blackwell, D. R., Miniard W. P., Engel F. J. (2001). Consumer Behavior, 9th Ed, South Western-Thomson Learning. https://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/bitstream/10603/45148/9/09_chapter%202.pdf
- Bloom, N., & Van Reenen, J. (2011). Human resource management and productivity. In: Ashenfelter, O., Card, D. (Eds.), Handbook of Labor Economics (pp. 1697–1767., vol.4b). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Brown, M., Benson, J. (2003). Rated to exhaustion? Reaction to performance appraisal process. Industrial relations journal, Vol. 34;1.
- Cascio, W. F. (2006). Managing Human Resources: Productivity, Quality of Life, Profits.
- Cardy, R. L. (2004). Performance management: Concepts, skills, and exercises. M.E. Sharpe, Armonk, NY.
- Creswell, J. W. (2005). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Cronbach, L. J. (1951). Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Journal of Psychometrika, 1951.3 (297-334): Vol. 16.
- Darwin, R. J. (2014). Age diversity and its impact on employee performance in Singapore. International journal of research and development in technology and management science. 211 (5), 79-98.
- Dexit, A. (2002). Incentives and organizations in the public sector. Journal of Human Resources XXXVII.
- Ezspss, (2020). https://ezspss.com/test-for-normality-in-spss/
- Field, A. P. (2005). Discovering Statistics Using SPSS 2nd Ed. London: Sage.
- Frese, M., and Sonnentag, S. (2002). Performance concepts and performance theory. In Sonnentag, Psychological management of individual performance. Ed. Chichester, UK: Wiley and Sons Ltd.
- Gallo, A. (2014). How to help an underperformer.
- Garc´ıa-Santill´an, A., Moreno-Garc´ıa1, E., Juan Carlos-Castro,J., Zamudio-Abdala, J. H., & Gardu˜no-Trejo, J. (2012). Cognitive, Affective and Behavioral Components That Explain Attitude toward Statistics. Journal of Mathematics Research; Vol. 4, No. 5; 2012
- Gibson, J., Ivanevich, L., John, M. & Donnelly, J. H. (2000). Organisations-Behaviour-Structure-Processes 10thEd. Boston. McGraw-Hill.
- Guffey, C., and Helms, M. (2001). Effective Employee Discipline: A case of the Internal Revenue Service, Public Personnel Management, Vol. 30, No. 1,
- Gupta, C. B. (2006). Human Resource Management, Sultan Chand & Sons, New Delhi K.K. Gupta for new age International Publication Ltd, India
- Gupta, A. S. (2016). A research paper on the Employees Attitude towards organizational Change. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences.Volume 15, Issue 2 Ver. XII (Feb. 2016), PP 44-47 www.iosrjournals.org
- Haenisch, J. P. (2012). Factors Affecting the Productivity of Government Workers. SAGE Open 1–7 DOI: 10.1177/2158244012441603 http://sgo.sagepub.com
- Hai Li, Baiyin Yang and Mian Zhang. (2011). Linking Organizational Culture with Performance: The Mediator and the Moderator, at SEBA–IE CASS - IEHAS Economics of Crisis, Education and Labor, Chinese - Hungarian International Conference.
- Hough, L. M., & Connelly, B. S. (2013). Personality measurement and use in industrial and organizational psychology. APA handbook of testing and assessment in psychology, Vol. 1: Test theory and testing and assessment in industrial and organizational psychology (pp. 501-531). Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association.
- Huling, E. (2003). Rough Notes. Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 2 No. 1 pp. 17-24.
- Imran, R., Majeed, M. and Ayub, A. (2015). Impact of Organizational Justice, Job Security and Job satisfaction on Organizational Productivity. Journal of Economics, Business and Management, Vol. 3, No. 9,
- Jandaghi, G., Mokhles, A. and Bahrami, H. (2011). The impact of job security on employees’ commitment and job satisfaction in Qom municipalities. African Journal of Business Management Vol.5 (16), pp. 6853-6858. http://www.academicjournals.org/AJBM
- Jimenez, H., and Didona, T. (2017). Perceived Job Security and its Effects on Job Performance: Unionized VS. Non-Unionized Organizations. The International Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Invention 4(8): 3761-3767, 2017 DOI: 10.18535/ijsshi/v4i8.11
- Jimoh, A. M. (2008). Situational Judgment, Emotional Labor, Conscientiousness and Demographic factors as predictors of Job Performance among University Administrative Workers in Southwestern Nigeria. Thesis. Guidance and counseling, Education. University of Ibadan. X + 142.
- Kaiser, H. F. (1974). An index of factorial simplicity. Psychometrika, 39, 31036
- Khan. I., Dongping, H., and Ghauri. T. A. (2014). Impact of Attitude on Employees Performance: A Study of Textile Industry in Punjab, Pakistan World Applied Sciences Journal 30 (Innovation Challenges in Multidiciplinary Research & Practice): 191-197.
- Katzenbach, J., Steffen, I. and Kronley, C. (2012). Cultural change that stics. Havard Business Review, July-August
- Khurshid, F., Qasmi, F. N. & Ashraf, N. (2012). The Relationship between Teachers’ Self Efficacy and their Perceived Job Performance. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 3 (10), 204-223.
- Lekha, P. & Magesh, R. (2016). Difference between Employees Marital Status and Performance Level in IT Industry.Imperial Journal of Interdisciplinary Research, 2, 6.
- Longenecker, C. O., & Leffakis, Z. M. (2002). Serious about white-collar productivity. Industrial Management, 44(6), 26-34.
- Lucky, E. O. I., Minai, M. S., & Rahman, H. A. (2013). Impact of job security on the organizational performance in a multi-ethnic environment. Research Journal of Business Management, 7(1), 64-70.
- Moon, H. (2001). The Two Faces of Conscientiousness: Duty and Achievement striving in Escalation of Commitment Dilemmas. Journal of Applied Psychology86 (3), 533- 540.
- Mutegi, M. F. and Ombui, K. (2016). An Investigation of the Factors that Cause Poor Performance of State Corporations in Kenya. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Volume 6, Issue 11,
- Noraishah, D., Raja, P., and Pahat, B. (2017). Job Security and well-being among Private Workers in Malaysia. Journal of Technology Management and Business. Vol 04, No 01, 2017
- Nzuve, S. N. M. and Mwangi, P. N. (2015). Factors perceived to influence employees’ performance: A case of the independent electoral and boundaries commission. Problems of Management in the 21st Century Vol. 10, No. 2, 2015
- Ojedokun, A. O. (2008). Perceived Job Insecurity, Job Satisfaction, Intention to Quit among Employees of Selected Banks in Nigeria. African Journal for Psychological Study of Social Issues, 11 (2), 204-220
- Omori, A. E., and Bassey, P. U. (2019). Demographic Characteristics and Workers’ Performance in Public Service in Nigeria. International Journal of Research and Innovation in Social Science Volume III, Issue II, www.rsisinternational.org
- Ostertagora, E., Ostertag, O., and Kovac, J. (2017). Applied Mechanics and Mechatronics https://www.scientific.net/AMM.611.115
- Rao. P. Subba. (2010). Personnel and Human Resource Management, Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai, pp.259
- Riordan, J. O. (2015). State of the public service series.
- Risher, H., and Wilder, W. (2018). What poor Workforce and Strategies is Costing Government. www.governing.com
- Sagepub, (2017). https://us.sagepub.com/sites/default/files/upm-assets/74890_book_item_74890.pdf
- Salladarr'e, F., Hlaimi, B., and Wolff, F. C. (2010). How important is security in the choice of employment? Evidence from European countries. http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00526264
- Şenol, F. (2014). The effect of Job Security on Perception of the internal Motivation means: A research from Turkey Manas Journal of Social Studies Vol.: 3 No: 1
- Sarantakos, S. (1998). Social Research. 2nd Ed, MacMillan Education Australia, South Melbourne.
- Shah, S. K. A., Ali, N., and Ali, Z. (2015). Declining Employee Performance in Public Sector Organizations: An Etiological Study of Public Sector Organizations in Pakistan. Journal for Studies in Management and Planning. Volume 01 Issue 05 http://internationaljournalofresearch.org/index.php/JSMaP
- Simon, M. (2001). Analysing and illustrating job attitudes of employees, managers and faculty members at domestic physical education universities and their relations to organizational atmosphere, Ph. D. thesis, Physical Education School, University of Tehran, Iran.
- St. Charles County Business Record. (2005, July 7). Human resource survey finds that poor management equals low productivity.
- Stone, T. H., Foster, J., Webster, B. D., Harrison, J. & Jawahar, I. M. (2016). Gender Differences in Supervisors’ Multidimensional Performance Ratings: Large Sample Evidence. Journal of Human Performance, 29(5), 428-446.
- Sverke, M. and Hellgren, J. (2006). Exit voice and loyalty reaction to job Insecurity: Do Unionized and Non-unionized Employees Differ? British Journal of Industrial Relations 39, 167-182.
- Taber, K. S. (2018). The use of Cronbach’s Alpha when developing and reporting Research Instruments in Science Education. Res Sci Educ 48, 1273-1296. http://doi.org/10.1007/s11165-016-9602-2
- Tamkin, P., Hirsh, W., and Tyers, C. (2003). Chore to champions: the making of better people managers, IES Report 389
- Timar, D. B. (2014). The Dynamic Relationship between Agingand Job Performance – A case study. Agora Psycho-pragmatica, 8 (2), 75-89.
- Thomas, W. H. and Feldman, D. C. (2009). How broadly does education contribute to Job Performance? Personnel Psychology Journal, 62, 89-134.
- Vargha, A., & Delaney, H. D. (1998). The Kruskal-Wallis Test and Stochastic Homogeneity. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics, 23(2), 170-192. https://doi.org/10.3102/10769986023002170.
- Walton, M. (1986). The Deming management method. New York, NY: Perigee.
- Yamane, T. (1973). Statistics and Introduction Analysis. 3rd ed. New York: Harper & Row.