Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 16 October 2019
Entrepreneurship Education and Entrepreneurial Behaviour among Undergraduate Students in Sabah, Malaysia
Noor Fzlinda Fabeil
Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Malaysia
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Entrepreneurship Education, Entrepreneurial Attitudes, Start-up Intention
This study explores the impact of entrepreneurship education in the university on student’s entrepreneurial behaviour, in terms of their entrepreneurial attitudes and start-up intention. The paper aims to investigate the perceived influence that various entrepreneurship education courses have had on third-year undergraduate students from business and non-business study programs in University Malaysia Sabah. The questionnaires were distributed via Google Forms, which gathers students’ perspectives on their entrepreneurial attitudes (achievement, innovation, personal control and self-esteem), and start-up intention. The results of chi-squared test revealed that innovation, personal control and self-esteem are the most influential impacts of entrepreneurship education among undergraduate students. In addition, the results of One-Way ANOVA showed significant differences among types of student's degree programs in terms of their achievement, innovation, external support and start-up intention. The study also provides qualitative insights from students' perspectives about the challenges that they think could hinder students to start a business. This study hopes to contribute to the university and other institutions of higher learning in Malaysia in preparing the appropriate entrepreneurial education approach for the students towards materialising the government agenda to become ‘Entrepreneurial Nation' by 2030.
- Ahmed, I., Aamir, M., & Ijaz, H. A. (2011). External factors and entrepreneurial career intentions; Moderating role of personality traits. International Journal of Academic Research, 3.
- Brockhaus, R. H. and Horwitz, P. S. (1986), The psychology of the entrepreneur. In D. L Sexton, R.W. Smiller (ed.), The Art and Science of Entrepreneurship, pp. 25-48. Cambridge, MA: Ballinger.
- Dell, M. S. (2008). An investigation of undergraduate student self-employment intention and the impact of entrepreneurship education and previous entrepreneurial experience. Doctor of Philosophy, School of Business University The Australia.
- Ebner, A. (2005), Entrepreneurship and Economic Development: From Classical Political Economy to Economic Sociology, Journal of Economic Studies, 32(3): 256-274.
- Ekpoh, U. I., & Edet, A. O. (2011). Entrepreneurship Education and Career Intentions of Tertiary Education Students in Akwa Ibom and Cross River States, Nigeria, International Education Studies, 4(1):172-178.
- Esuh O. L. and Najafi A. I. (2014), Environmental Factors and Entrepreneurial Intention among Nigerian Students in UUM, International Journal of Business and Technopreneurship, 4(2): 187-203.
- Fini, R., Grimaldi, R., Marzocchi, G. L., & Sobrero, M. (2009). The foundation of entrepreneurial intention. Journal The Department of Management of the University of Bologna.
- Frank, H., Lueger, M. and Korunka, C. (2007). The Significance of Personality in Business Start-up Intentions, Start-up Realization and Business Success, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 19: 227-251.
- Gibbs, G. (2010). Dimensions of Quality, The Higher Education Academy: United Kingdom.
- Graduate Tracking Survey (2016). Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia.
- Hanapi, Z. and Nordin, M. S. (2014). Unemployment Among Malaysia Graduates: Graduates’ Attributes, Lecturers’ Competency and Quality of Education, Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 112: 1056-1063.
- Izedonmi, P. F., & Okafor, C. (2010). The Effect of Entrepreneurship Education On Students‟ Entrepreneurial Intentions. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, 10(6): 49-60.
- Jobstree.com (2012). Press releases ‘Fresh Graduates’ Unrealistic Salary Demands Deter Employers from Hiring, retrieved from retrieved from .
- Johannison, B. (1991). University Training for Entrepreneurship: Swedish Approaches, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 3(1): 67-82.
- Koh, H.C. (1996). Testing hypotheses of entrepreneurial characteristics, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 11(3): 12-25.
- Krueger, N. F, Reilly, M. D., and Carsrud, A. L. (2000), Competing Models of Entrepreneurial Intentions, Journal of Business Venturing, 23(5): 487-511.
- Kuratko, D. (2003), Entrepreneurship Education: Emerging Trends and Challenges for the 21st century, Coleman Foundation White Paper Series, Coleman Foundation, Chicago, IL.
- Lee, S. M., Chang, D., & Lim, S. B. (2005). Impact of Entrepreneurship Education: A Comparative Study of the U.S. and Korea. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 1: 27–43.
- Low, M. B. and MacMillan (1988), Entrepreneurship: Past Research and Future Challenges, Journal of Management, 14(2): 139-160.
- Matlay, H. (2008). The Impact of Entrepreneurship Education on Entrepreneurial Outcomes, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 15(2), 382-396.
- McClelland, D.C (1987). Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs, Journal of Creative Behaviour, 21(3): 219-233.
- Morris, M. H., & Lewis, P. S. (1995). The determinants of entrepreneurial activity: Implications for marketing. European Journal of Marketing, 29, 31-48.
- Ooi, Y, K., Selvarajah, C., & Meyer, D. (2011). Inclination towards entrepreneurship among university students: An Empirical study of Malaysian University Entrepreneurial Intention students. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(4): 206-220.
- Rae, D. (1997), Teaching entrepreneurship in Asia: impact of a pedagogical innovation, Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Change, 6(3): 193-227.
- Rahim, H. L., Kadir, M. A. B. A., Abidin, Z. A., Junid, J., Kamaruddin, L. M., Lajin, N. M., Buyong, S. Z. and Bakri, A. A. (2015). Entrepreneurship Education in Malaysia: A Critical View, Journal of Technology Management and Business, 2(2): 1-11.
- Rahman, D. (2016), Making Malaysian Graduates More Employable a Reality, Online Exclusive In The Star Online, published on 14 July, 2016 at
- Robinson, P. B., Simpson, D. V., Huefner, J. C. and Hunt, H. K. (1991), An Attitude Approach to the Prediction of Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Summer: 13-31.
- Schumpeter, J. A. (1934), in Eliot, J. E. (ed. 2007), The Theory of Economic Development, NJ: Transaction Publishers.
- Sesen, H. (2013). Personality or Environment? A Comprehensive Study on the Entrepreneurial Intentions of University Students, Education and Training, 55(7): 624-640.
- TalentCorp (2016). News releases ‘Lack of Self-Initiative, Soft Skills Leads to Unemployed Fresh Graduates’, retrieved from Astro Awani at , dated 19 January 2016.
- Tam, H. W. (2009). How and to What Extent Does Entrepreneurship Education Make Students More Entrepreneurial? A California Case of the Technology Management Program. Doctor of Philosophy Dissertation, University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Tariq, M., Arif, H., Kumar, R. and Mustafa, G. (2015). Issues and Challenges for Young Graduates in Becoming Entrepreneurs: Economic and Personality based Perspective, International Journal of Behavioural Research and Psychology, 3(3): 79-84.
- Tushabomwe-Kazooba, C. (2006). Causes of Small Business failure in Uganda: A Case Study from Bushenyi and Mbarara Towns. African Studies Quarterly, 8(4).
- Uddin, M. R. and Bose, T. K. (2012). Determinants of Entrepreneurial Intention of Business Students in Bangladesh, International Journal of Business and Management, 7(24): 128-137.
- Utsch, A. and Rauch, A. (2000). Innovativeness and initiative as mediators between achievement orientation and venture performance, European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 9(1): 45-62.