Journal of Economics and Business
ISSN 2615-3726 (Online)
ISSN 2621-5667 (Print)
Published: 13 January 2020
Evaluation Study on the Barriers to Success of Technology Business Incubation Programme in Nigeria – The Moderating Role of Government Policy
Nkem O. Obaji, Dele Olaolu
National Open University of Nigeria (Nigeria), Baze University (Nigeria)
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Technology Business Incubation, Government Policy, Nigeria
The business incubation model has been embraced by numerous countries of the world since the concept was first conceived and developed in the USA. It has now received much attention among policymakers and academics particularly within the field of entrepreneurship and small business research. Even though the popularity of the programme, so many tenant firms are still closing shops before and after their exit from the incubator. The aim of this study was to explore how government policy moderates the relationship between the individual critical success factors (CSF) and incubator performance. The study adopted the evaluative qualitative case study design. The population of the study consisted of ten surveying stakeholders who were purposively chosen between the stakeholders. The study found the evidence of the moderating role of government policy on the relationship between barriers to success and incubator performance. The study recommended that government should develop a user friendly framework that will ease the difficulties incubators usually encounter in the course of providing resources to the incubatees.
- Abdullahi, M. S., Tahir, I. M., Aliyu, R. L., & Abubakar, A. (2015). Strengthening Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs) For Poverty Alleviation in Nigeria. IOSR Journal of Humanities and Social Science (IOSR-JHSS), Volume 20 (6), 101-110.
- Agwu, M. O., & Emeti, C. I. (2014). Issues, challenges and prospects of small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs) in Port-Harcourt city. European Journal of Sustainable Development, 3(1), 101-114.
- Ajagbe, A. M. (2014). Funding Criteria in Technology Based Firms. Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
- Ajagbe, M. A., & Ismail, K. (2014). Factors influencing venture capital assessment of high growth companies in Malaysia. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 21(4), 457-494.
- Akcomak, I. (2009). Incubators as Tools for Entrepreneurship Promotion in Developing Countries. Research paper No. 2009/52 in UNU-WIDER.
- Alese, O. J. (2017). Strategic management and the development of small and medium enterprises in south-west, Nigeria. An unpublished PhD Thesis of Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun state, Nigeria.
- Al-Mubaraki, H., Al-Karaghouli, W., & Busler, M. (2010). The Creation of Business Incubators in Supporting Economic Developments. Paper presented at the European, Mediterranean & Middle Eastern Conference on Information Systems 2010 (EMCIS2010).
- Amit, R., & Schoemaker, P. J. (1993). Strategic assets and organizational rent. Strategic Management Journal, 14(1), 33-46.
- Ashford, N. A. (1993). Understanding technological responses of industrial firms to environmental problems: Implications for government policy. Paper presented at the Environmental strategies for industry: International perspectives on research needs and policy implications.
- Asiedu, E. (2006). Foreign direct investment in Africa: The role of natural resources, market size, government policy, institutions and political instability. The World Economy, 29(1), 63-77.
- Bagshaw, K. B. (2014). Power Supply Infrastructure and Government Policy Inconsistency on The Performance of Small and Medium Scale Manufacturing Firms In Nigeria: An Empirical Assessment. AIJCSR, 1(2).
- Chan, K., & Lau, T. (2005). Assessing technology incubator programs in the science park: the good, the bad and the ugly. Technovation, 25(10), 1215-1228.
- Creswell, J. W. (2012). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research (4 ed.). London: Pearson.
- Dana, L. P., & Dana, T. E. (2005). Expanding the scope of methodologies used in entrepreneurship research. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 2(1), 79-88.
- Dul, J., & Hak, T. (2008). Case study methodology in business research: Routledge.
- Eisenhardt, K. M. (1989). Building theories from case study research. Academy of management review, 14(4), 532-550.
- Greene, F. (2012). Should the focus of publicly provided small business assistance be on start-ups or growth businesses? (No. 12/2). Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- Guan, Q., Xie, X., & Zhou, J. (2015). The Influence of Government Policy on University Technology Transfer in China LISS 2013 (pp. 439-443): Springer.
- Ha, E., & Kang, M.-k. (2015). Government Policy Responses to Financial Crises: Identifying Patterns and Policy Origins in Developing Countries. World Development, 68, 264-281.
- Higgs, C. J., & Hill, T. (2019). The role that small and medium‐sized enterprises play in sustainable development and the green economy in the waste sector, South Africa. Business Strategy & Development, 2(1), 25-31.
- Krathwohl, D. R. (1998). Methods of educational and social science research: An integrated approach: Longman/Addison Wesley Longman.
- Kumar, K. S., & Ravindran, D. S. R. (2012). A Study on Elements of Key Success Factors Determining the Performance of Incubators. European Journal of Social Sciences, 28(1), 13-23.
- Levitsky, J. (1996). Support systems for SMEs in developing countries Small and Medium Enterprises Programme Vienna: United Nations Industrial Development Organization.
- Mason, C., & Brown, R. (2011). Creating good public policy to support high-growth firms. Small Business Economics, 40(2), 211-225.
- Miles, M. B., & Huberman, A. M. (1994). Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook (2nd ed.). London: Sage Publications.
- Miles, M. B., Huberman, A. M., & Saldaña, J. (2014). Qualitative data analysis: A methods sourcebook: SAGE Publications, Incorporated.
- Minniti, M. (2008). The role of government policy on entrepreneurial activity: productive, unproductive, or destructive? Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 32(5), 779-790.
- Mohd Shariff, M. N., Peou, C. and Ali, J. (2010). Moderating effect of government policy on entrepreneurship and growth performance of small-medium enterprises in Cambodia. International Journal of Business and Management. 3(1), 57.
- NBIA. NBIA Publications Retrieved from http://www.nbia.org.
- Ojo, A. T. (2006). Using SMEs to Achieve Millennium Development Goals: Challenges and Prospects. Coveneant Journal of Business and Social Sciences, 1(1), 20-35.
- Olutunla, G. T. (2005, July 7, 2008). Implementation of the small and medium industries equity investment scheme in Nigeria. Retrieved from
- Onugu, B. A. N. (2005). Small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Nigeria: Problems and prospects. St. Clements University, Nigeria (Unpublished Dissertation for a Doctor of Philosophy in Management Award).
- Osamwonyi, I. O., & Tafamel, A. E. (2010). Options for sustaining small and medium scale enterprises in Nigeria: Emphasis on Edo state. African Research Review, 4(3b).
- Patton, M. (2002). Qualitative research & evaluation methods (3rd Ed.). CA: Thousand Oaks, Sage.
- Pena, I. (2002). Intellectual capital and business start-up success. Journal of intellectual capital, 3(2), 180-198.
- Pergelova, A., & Angulo-Ruiz, F. (2014). The impact of government financial support on the performance of new firms: the role of competitive advantage as an intermediate outcome. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development (ahead-of-print), 1-43.
- Scarborough, N., & Zimmerer, T. (2000). Effective Small Business Management: An Entrepreneurial Approach (Vol. sixth). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall,.
- Shepherd, D. A., & Shanley, M. (1998). New venture strategy: Timing, environmental uncertainty and performance: SAGE Publications, Incorporated.
- Somsuk, N., & Laosirihongthong, T. (2014). A fuzzy AHP to prioritize enabling factors for strategic management of university business incubators: resource-based view. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 85, 198-210.
- Strauss, A., & Corbin, J. M. (1990). Basics of qualitative research: Grounded theory procedures and techniques. Newbury Park: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Tesch, R. (1990). Qualitative research: Analysis types and software tools. Bristol, PA: Falmer Press.
- Theodorakopoulos, N., K. Kakabadse, N., & McGowan, C. (2014). What matters in business incubation? A literature review and a suggestion for situated theorising. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 21(4), 602-622.
- Yang, C. (2014). Government policy change and evolution of regional innovation systems in China: evidence from strategic emerging industries in Shenzhen. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 32, 000-000.
- Yang, K. (2008). Voice of the customer capture and analysis. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Yin, R. K. (2009). Case study research: Design and methods (4th ed.). California: Sage publications.
- Yin, R. K. (2012). Applications of case study research: Sage Publication.