Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 30 September 2019
Exploring Silent Negligence of Jute - The Golden Fiber of Bangladesh: A Historical Perspective
Mohammad Muzahidul Islam
Patuakhali Science and Technology University, Bangladesh
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Jute, Golden fiber, British-India, Pakistan, Bangladesh
The present study investigated development and structure of jute sector before and after independence of Bangladesh. The paper also examined the overall situation, major changes, policies of jute history and exploring its potentiality. This research conducted content analysis of historical information, few key informants interviews as well as evaluation of scholar’s opinions. Besides these, a wide array of sources were also reviewed such as government performance reports, documents, records, books and articles published by government, report of donor agencies and international organizations such as International Jute Study Group (IJSG), World Bank (WB), as well as research findings of individual researchers. As jute is a pro-environmental, reusable and biodegradable products, its demand is increasing and getting popularity day by day to the environmental concern customers, policy makers, researcher and eco-entrepreneurs. To conclude, diversified jute products and jute based SMEs might be a way out to revive the golden fiber sector in Bangladesh.
- Ahmed, T. and Kader, S.(2014). Seamless Jute Bag: a novelty in eco-friendly Packaging.World,2979.
- Ali, M. W. (1998). Jute in the Agrarian History of Bengal (1870-1914)- A Study in Primary Production
- Alim, A. (1978) A Hand Book of Bangladesh Jute, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Booklet, Jute Diversification Promotion Centre (JDPC), Ministry of Textile and Jute, Bangladesh
- Christopher, M. and Towill, D.R. (2002) Developing Market Specific Supply Chain Strategies. International Journal of Logistics Management, 13, 1-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09574090210806324
- Glazner, E. Plastic Pollution and Climate change, 10 December 2015 Available at: http://www.plasticpollutioncoalition.org/pft/2015/11/17/plastic-pollution-and-climate-change. [Accessed June 2, 2016]
- Haque, N., (2006, July 14). [Use of Bangladeshi jute in the body of Toyota car]. The Daily Nayadiganta, Dhaka, Bangladesh (In Bangla)
- Hoque , M. H. (1999) Strategies of Jute Industry (Pat shilper kala kausol), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Hussain, M. (2013) Jute in Bangladesh, Bangladesh Jute Research Institute (BJRI), Manik Mian Avenue, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh
- Hussain, M. (2014) Jute and Jute Shilpo, Bangladesh Jute Research Institute (BJRI), Manik Mian Avenue, Dhaka-1207, Bangladesh
- IJSG-International Jute Study Group, (2012) World Jute & Kenaf Statistics: At a glance.
- Islam, M. M., Xiaoying, J., Md. Uddin, M.E., & Bhuiyan, F. (2015) Status and Constraints of Jute Cultivation in Bangladesh: An Experience from Selected Upazilas under Chandpur District, Asian Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, 5(8): 175~186
- Jute Matters (2013) A monthly publication by International Jute Study Group, 1(4), March
- Kathuria, S. & Malouche, M. M. (2016) Attracting Investment in Bangladesh- Sectoral Analysis: A Diagonostic Trade Integration Study, World Bank Group, First Edition: 63~96
- Kerr , HC. Jute Report 1877 Available at http://en.banglapedia.org/index.php?title=Jute_Report,1877 [Accessed June 2, 2016]
- Lei dlo (n.d) (1990) Problems and prospects for Diversified Jute Products, FAO: 76
- Levi-Strauss,C. (1952) Race and History, UNESCO Courier. 4(5).
- Molla, M. M.U. (2014) An Economic Analysis of Jute Sector in Bangladesh: Problems and Prospects. PhD Thesis, Department of Agribusiness and Marketing, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
- Muhammad, A. (2007). Pat) Pat Shilpo ebong Potobhume (Jute, (Jute Industry and Land of Jute) Bulletin, Ain O Shalish Kendro, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Omar, A. T. (2012) The Envelope of Global Trade: The Political Economy and Intellectual History of Jute in the Bengal Delta, 1850s to 1995s, Doctoral Dissertation, Harvard University
- Popenoe, O. (1970) “Malay Entrepreneurs: An Analysis of the Social Background, Career and Attitude of the Leading Malay Businessmen in Western Malaysia. Doctoral Thesis, LSE, University of London, London.
- Rahman, K. T. (2007 October) Golden Past, Golden Future, Forum-A Monthly Publication of the Daily Star
- Ranjan, T. C. (1973) Handbook on Jute, Oxford & IBH Publishing Co. New Delhi, Volume -1
- Robinson, K. L., Dassie, W., Christy, D. R. (2004). Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development as a Rural Development Strategy, Southern Rural Sociology, 20(2): 123
- Roul, C. (2009) The International Jute Commodity System, (First ed.), Northern Book Centre, New Delhi, India
- Shadi, H. Pat Hattar Nepothe, (2007) Dhalka, Bangladesh, December 2007 Volume 1
- Terra Choice. 2010. Sins of Green washing: Home and Family Edition. Terra Choice Group, Inc. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Available online at http://sinsofgreenwashing.org/findings/greenwashingreport-2010
- The World Bank (2015) Bangladesh Development Update, Available at:http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/5508014680 14652 230/ pdf/955680WP00PUBL0nal00PUBLIC00REVISED.pdf [Accessed on 15 June 2016]
- Vries, D. J.G.M, 92007) Export of Jute products from Bangladesh to Europe: Analysis of Market Potential and development of Interventions for GTZ-PROGRESS