Journal of Economics and Business
ISSN 2615-3726 (Online)
ISSN 2621-5667 (Print)
Published: 13 March 2020
Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth Of Nigeria (1980-2018)
F. O. Chinyere Osunkwo
Abia State University Uturu, Nigeria
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Investment, Economic Growth, Inflow
This work examined the impact of foreign direct investment on the economic growth of Nigeria from 1980-2018, secondary data from CBN statistical bulletin of various issues were used. Regression analyses was carried out using the OLS method, it was found out that R2 was found to be 81.4%, which shows that the model was highly fitted, while Adjusted R2 was 80.9%, which shows that the model was highly correlated, because the 80% change in RGDP, is explained by Foreign direct investment and employment level in the economy during the period under review, the other19.1% may be explained by other variables not included in the model.
- Agrawal, G.(2015): Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth in BRICS Economies: A Panel Data Analysis. Journal of Economics, Business and Management, Vol.3, No.4.
- Anyanwale (2007). The impact of foreign direct investment on economic growth of Nigeria. Journal of Economics and Sustainable development vol.4,no.2
- Asiedu, E. (2003): “Policy Reform and Foreign Direct Investment to Africa” : Absolute progress but relative decline, Mimeo, department of economics,University of Kansas, United States.
- Asiedu, E. (2009). Foreign direct investment in Africa; the role of natural resource,market size, government policy, institutional and political instability.
- Research paper at world institute for development Economics Research (WDDER) conference on sharing global prosperity Helsinki.
- Jaspersen, F.Z., A.H. Aylward and A.D. Knox. (2000), “ The effect of risk on private investment: Africa compared with other areas”.
- Lehmann, A. (1999), “ Country Risks and the Investment Activity of USMultinationals in Developing Countries”, IMF Working Paper
- Mody, A. and K. Srinivasan. (1998), “Japanese and United States firms as foreign investors: Do they march to the same tune?” Canadian Journal of Economics, 31(4): 778-99.
- Moosa, I.A., (2002), “ Foreign Direct Investment – Theory, Evidence and Practice”. Palgrave, New York. Anthony Rowe Limited.
- Nwachukwu, O.S (2013), External Capital and Economic Development in Nigeria (2000-2012).
- Pigato,W.S (2001) Foreign Direct Investment in emerging economics: A selectivesurvey.Journal of Development Studies 40(1).
- Pulstova, M. (2016): Effects of Foreign Direct Investment and Firm Export in Economic Growth: Evidence from Uzbekistan. European Journal of Business and Management, Vol.8, No.3.
- Uwubanmwen, A.E. &Ogiemudia, O.A. (2016): Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: Evidence from Nigeria. International Journal of Business and Social Sciences, Vol.7,No.3.
- Wheeler, D. and A. Mody (1992), “International investment location decisions: \The case of U.S. firms”, journal of International Economics 33, 57-76.