Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 27 January 2020
Human Resources Management Practices and Total Quality Management (TQM) is the Precondition to Gain the Sustainable Competitive Advantage in the Bangladesh Ready-Made Garments Sector
Farhana Rashid, Che Azlan Taib, Rushami Zien Yusoff, Mohd Akhir Hj. Ahmad
Universiti Utara Malaysia, Malaysia
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Total Quality Management, Sustainable Competitive Advantage, Human Resource Management practices, RM
Bangladesh Garments manufacturing industry is expanding at a rate of 20% per year and around 76% of the export earnings are came from RMG sector (BEPB, 2018). Currently 4.2 million workers are working in this sector where 4490 manufacturing units are in operation (BGMEA, 2018). Bangladesh Ready-Made Garments (RMG) shows remarkable growth and significant contribution in the country's economic development though product and service qualities are yet a considerable problem to worry about. RMG companies in Bangladesh are not fully aware about the impacts and value of Total Quality Management (TQM) implementation. At the same time, Bangladesh garments industry fully labor intensive rather than technology oriented as Bangladesh is the cheapest labor country, the average labor cost per hour is only $0.3.Researchers argue that effective implementation of HRM and TQM practices is a main criteria and predictor of gaining sustainability in business. As, it is notable to mention that in case of Bangladesh RMG sector most of the existing literature give more emphasis and discuss about the infrastructural and strategic matters whereas TQM and Human Resource Management (HRM) practices in an attempt to improve sustainable competitive advantage is still a debate both theoretically as well as empirically. In this research tried to point out that HRM practices and TQM are positively related to organizational sustainable competitive advantage. In this aspect, literatures proved that, HR practices didn't get much attention which need to be measured and analysis in the aspect of Bangladesh RMG sectors quality performance improvement as in RMG sector human resources is the main advantage for industrial growth and sustainable competitive advantage in business. So this study is required to lift up this expectation to fulfill this research gap So there is a huge gap for further research. Proposed research direction and conclusion are discussed in conclusion of this research.
- Labour and Management in Development, Vol 13. Retrieved from:
- Akhter, Sharmin. (2014). Deming Management Method in the Readymade Garments Industry of Bangladesh. Journal of Management, Vol. 9(1), 178-189.
- Alsuhaimi, M. R. (2012). The Implementation of Total Quality Management in King Saud University. International Journal of Independent Research and Studies-IJIRS, Vol. 1(2), 84-88. Ahamed, F.
- (2013). Could monitoring and surveillance be useful to establish social compliance in the ready-made garment (RMG) industry of Bangladesh? International Journal of Managementand Business Studies, Vol. 3 (3), 088-100.
- Ariful M. I., & Anwarul Haque, A.F.M. (2012). Key aspects of TQM implementation in manufacturing organization- an empirical investigation. International Journal of Research in Management & Technology (IJRMT), ISSN: 2249-9563, Vol. 2 No. 3.
- Alireza Anvari, Yusof Ismail & Seyed Mohammad Hossein Hojjati (2011). A Study on Total Quality Management and Lean Manufacturing: Through Lean Thinking Approach. World Applied Sciences Journal, 12 (9): 1585-1596.
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. (2015). Statistical pocket book of Bangladesh. GOB. Dhaka. Government Printing Office.
- BKMEA. (2014). Export Performance of RMG of Bangladesh for 2011-12 and 2012-13. Annual Report of Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Export Association. Retrieved from facts-figures.html
- Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association. (2015). Annual Report of BGMEA. Retrieved from
- Calvo-Mora, Picón, A., Ruiz, C., & Cauzo, L. (2014). The Relationships between Soft-Hard TQM Factors and Key Business Results. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol.34 (1), 115–143.
- Feng, M., Terziovski, M. & Samson, D. (2007). Relationship of ISO 9001: 2000 Quality System Certification with Operational and Business Performance: A Survey in Australia and New Zealand-based Manufacturing and Service Companies. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 19 (1), 22–37.
- Fasil, T. & Osada, H. (2011). Multiple dimensions of TQM success in developing countries: an empirical study on Deming prize winners from India and Thailand. International Journal of Innovation and Learning, Vol. 9(2), 184-203.
- Gopal K Kanji, & Mike Asher (1996). 100 methods for TQM. Response Books, New Delhi. Hietschold, N., Reinhardt, R., & Gurtner, S. (2014). Measuring Critical Success Factors of TQM
- Implementation Successfully-a Systematic Literature Review. International Journal of Production
- Research. Retrieved from
Harun, N. A., Rashid, A. A., & Alrazi, B. (2013). Measuring the Quality of Sustainability Disclosure
- among the Malaysian Commercial Banks. World Applied Sciences Journal, Vol. 28, 195–201. Ishikawa, K. (1985). What is TQC. The Japanese way. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: PrenticeHall.
Islam, M.M., & Khan, A.M. (2013). Minimization of Reworks in Quality and Productivity Improvement in the
- Apparel Industry. International Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 1(4), 147-165.
- Israfil Shahin Seddiqe, & Avizit Basak. (2014). Importance of Human Resource Management and the Competitive Advantage: A Case Analysis on Basis of the Textile Industry of Bangladesh. Global Journal of Management and Business Research: A Administration and Management, Vol.14 (9), 93-115.
- Islam, Md. Ariful, & Haque, A.F.M. Anwarul. (2012). Pillars of TQM Implementation in Manufacturing Organization- An Empirical Study. Journal of Research in International Business and Management, Vol. 2(5), 128-141.
- Jahid, H. (2013). The Competitiveness of Ready Made Garments Industry of Bangladesh in Post MFA Era: How Does the Industry Behave to Face the Competitive Challenge. British Journal of Economics, Management & Trade, Vol. 3(3), 296-306.
- Juran, J.M. (1995). A history of managing for quality: The evolution, trends and future direction of managing for quality. Milwaukee, WI: ASQC Quality Press.
- Kim, D., Kumar, V., & Kumar, U. (2012). Relationship between quality management practices and innovation. Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 30, 295-315.
- Md. Ariful Islam, &. Anwarul Haque, A.F.M. (2012). Key aspects of TQM implementation in manufacturing organization-an empirical investigation. International Journal of Research in Management & Technology (IJRMT), Vol. 2(3), 268.
- Munim Joarder, Nurul Hossain, & M M Hakim. (2010). Post-MFA Performance of Bangladesh Apparel Sector. International Review of Business Research Papers, Volume 6(4), 134 – 144.
- Nurul Absar, & Monowar Mahmood (2011). New HRM Practices in the Public and Private Sector Industrial Enterprises of Bangladesh: A Comparative Assessment.International Review of Business Research Papers, Vol. 7(2), 118-136.
- Ooi, K. B. (2014). TQM Practices and Knowledge Management: A Multi-group Analysis of Constructs and Structural Invariance between the Manufacturing and Service Sectors. Total Quality Management & Business Excellence. doi:10.1080/ 14783363.2014.914642.
- Parul Akhter (2015). Key Factors of TQM Implementation in the Textile and RMG Industry: A Study of Some Textile and RMG Companies of Bangladesh. IOSR Journal of Business and Management, Volume 17(2), 26-37.
- Prajogo, D.I. (2005). The comparative analysis of TQM practices and quality performance between manufacturing and service firms. International Journal of Service Industry Management, Vol. 16(3), 217–228.
- Rahman, M. M., & Masud, A.K.M. (2011). Quality Improvement in Garments Industry Through TQM Approach. International Conference on Mechanical Engineering (ICME2011) 18-20, Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp.1 -2.
- Rahman, M. M., & Masud, A.K.M. (2011). Quality Improvement in Garments Industry Through TQM Approach. Proceedings of the International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, ICME 11-RT- 044.
- Rahman, M. M., & Masud, A. K. M. (2011). Quality Improvement in Garments Industry Through TQM Approaches. Journal of Management, Vol. 12(1), 111-119.
- Shah Johir Rayhan, Sajeeb Saha, & Mohammad Masudul Hassan (2014). Factors Affecting the Customer Buying Behavior in Relation to Readymade Garments in Bangladesh. International Research Journal of Marketing, Vol. 2(2), 36-42.
- Sila, I., & Ebrahimpour, M. (2003). Examination and Comparison of the Critical Factors of Total Quality Management (TQM) across Countries. International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 41 (2), 235–268.
- Sharif Ahmed, Syduzzaman, Mahbubor Rahman, Mazedul Islam, & Ahashan Habib (2014). Effect of Total Quality Management (TQM) on Employee Satisfaction in the Apparel Industries of Dhaka Division. European Scientific Journal, Vol. 22(7), 251-269.
- Shahid Mehmood, Faisal Qadeer, & Aftab Ahmad (2014). Relationship between TQM Dimensions and Organizational Performance. Journal of Commerce and Social Sciences, Vol. 8 (3), 662-679.
- Sila, I., & Ebrahimpour, M. (2005). Critical linkages among TQM factors and business results, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 25 (11), 1123- 1155.
- Sadrul Huda, Nargis Akhtar, & Afsana Akhtar (2011). Employee’s View on Job Satisfaction: A Study on Garments Industry in Bangladesh. Indus Journal of Management & Social Sciences, Vol. 5(1),1-9
- Sukhwinder, Singh. (2013). TQM: An Emerging Necessity for Small Scale Industry Sector. Global Research analysis, Vol. 2 (1), 136–137.
- Talib, F., Rahman, Z., & Qureshi, M. N. (2010). The Relationship Between total Quality Management and Quality Performance sin the Service Industry: A Theoretical Model. International Journal of Business Management and Social Sciences, Vol. 1(1), 113-128.
- Uddin, Md Abbas. (2012). Readymade Garments Industry of Bangladesh: How the Industry is Affect in Post MFA Period. Unpublished master’s thesis, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia.
- Yunus, M., & Yamagata, T. (2012). The Garment Industry in Bangladesh.Fukunishi (Ed.). Dynamics of the Garment Industry in Low Income Countries: Experience of Asia and Africa (Interim Report). Chousaken Kyu, Huokokusho, IDE-JETRO