Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 25 July 2022
Impact of Imports and Interest Rates on Inflation: A Case Study in ASEAN Countries 2006-2019
Mirna Herawati, Sumaryoto, Machfud Sidik
Universitas Borobudur Jakarta, Indonesia
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Imports, Interest Rates, Inflation
Abstract: This research is a descriptive and explanative research on the effect of imports and interest rates on inflation. This study tries to understand the factors that influence inflation in ASEAN countries for the 2006-2019 period. The results show that: 1) Imports have a significant effect on inflation, this is evidenced by sig 0.0001 <0.05. 2) Interest rates have a significant effect on inflation, this is evidenced by sig 0.0001<0.05 and Fcount of 15.43226 with a determinant coefficient (R2) of 0.573003. This means that 57.3% of the impact is determined as the contribution of the independent variables (imports and interest rates) jointly to the dependent variable (inflation). While the rest (42.7%) is the influence of external variables not examined in this study.
Adu, G. and Marbuah, G. (2011). Determinants of inflation in Ghana: An Empirical Investigation, South African Journal of Economics (SAJE), 79 (3):251-269.
Ahmed., Rizwan, H., Hussain, A., & Lal, I. (2013). Determinant of inflation in Pakistan: An econometrics analysis, using Johansen cointegration approach. European Journal of Business and Management, 5 (30), 115-122
Amaefula, C.G. (2016). Long-Run Relationship Between Interest Rate and Inflation: Evidence from Nigeria. IOSR Journal of Economics and Finance 7(3): 24-28
Assabeel. (2019). Determinants of Interest rates from https://assabeel.net
Babalola, O.O., Danladi, J.D., Akomolafe, K.J. and Ajiboye, O.P., (2015). Inflation, Interest Rates and Economic Growth in Nigeria. European Journal of Business and Management, 7(30): 91-102.
Bayo, F. (2011). Determinants of Inflation in Nigeria : An Empirical Analysis, International. Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 1(18): 262-271.
Bean, M. A. (2017). Determinants of Interest rates (Financial Mathematics Study Note. Education & Examination Committee of the Society of Actuaries).https://www.soa.org/globalassets/assets/Files/Edu /2017/fm-determinants-interest-rates.pdf
Dexter, A.S. Levi, M.D. and Nault, B.R., 2005. International Trade and the Connection between Excess Demand and Inflation. Review of International Economics, 13(4), pp. 699-708.
Greenidge, Kevin, Dianna DaCosta. (2009). Determinants of Inflation in Selected Caribbean Countries. Business, Finance & Economics in Emerging Economies Vol. 4 No. 2
Ifionu, E.P. and Ibe, R.C. (2015). Inflation, Interest Rate, Real Gross Domestic Product and Stock Prices on the Nigerian Stock Exchange: A post SAP Impact Analysis, Research Journal of Finance Accounting 6(14): 215- 223. www. Iiste.org.
Islam, Rabiul, dkk. (2017). Determinants of Factors that Affecting Inflation in Malaysia. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 2017, 7(2), 355-364.
Lawrence, S.R.; William S.L. and F.U. Gregory (2000): Principles of Money, Banking and Financial Markets, 10th Edition, Wesley Longman, Inc U.S.A.
Lipsey, R., Steiner, P. and Purvis, D., 1982. Economics, 7th ed., pp. 752. New York: Harper Collins Pub. Inc.
Mbutor, O.M. (2014). Inflation in Nigeria: How Much is the Function of Money?Journal of Economics and International Finance, 6(1): 21-27.
Mukhtar. 2013. Metode Praktis Penelitian Deskriptif Kualitatif. Jakarta : GP Press Group.
Ndidi, E.D. (2013). Determinants of Inflation in Nigeria. Business and Management Review, 3(2): 106-114.
Odusanya, I.A. and Atander, A.A. (2010). Analysis of Inflation and its Determinants in Nigeria, Pakistan. Journal of Social Sciences, 7(2): 97-100
Ogbokor, C. A. (2004). Study, Inpacts of Inflastion on Namibia Growth: An Empirical. Journal of Applied Sciences, 4(4), 644–648.
Raymond, A.R. (2014). An Econometric Analysis of Effect of Changes in Interest Rates on Inflation in Nigeria, International. Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, 2(10): 1-24.
Sugiyono. (2017). Metode Penelitian Kuantitatif, Kualitatif dan R&D. Bandung: Alfabeta.
Tafti, F. (2012). Determinants of inflation in Islamic Republic of Iran. Journal of Business and Social Science, 3(6), 197–203
Taro Yamane. (1967). Elementary Sampling Theory. Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
Udoh, S.N. and Isaiah, S.A. (2018). A Predictive Model for Inflation in Nigeria. CBN Journal of Applied Statistics 9(2): 103-129.
Umouru, and Oseme, S.A. (2013). Inflation Expectations and Interest Rate Variables in Nigeria: An Econometric Assessment of the Evidence. International Journal of Development and Economic Substainablity, 1(2): 1-12.