Journal of Economics and Business
ISSN 2615-3726 (Online)
ISSN 2621-5667 (Print)
Published: 23 September 2019
Risks Management and Corporate Performance of Business Enterprises in Jalingo Local Government, Taraba State
Jerome Nyameh, Dinatu Sunday, Victor Timothy
Taraba State University Jalingo, Nigeria
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Risk Management, Corporate Performance, Jalingo, and Taraba State
This study evaluated the relationship between risk management and corporate performance of Twenty (20) organization register with CAC in Jalingo Taraba state because Risk Management is an integrated framework and monitoring tool for managing uncertainties surrounding the business objectives. To achieve that, this objective was formulated. To provide empirical evidence of the extent to which RM framework has impacted performance in the business sector in Jalingo. The independent variables used were existence of risk management committee, the existence of financial expertise, the existence of audit committee, existence of Chief risk officer, and board size. The study data were sourced from annual reports and accounts of the selected enterprises. The collated data were analyzed using descriptive statistics and correlation matrix. The results reveal that risk management committee, financial expertise, audit committee, and board size have significant positive effect on performance. The result also shows that the existence of chief risk officer has a significant negative effect on performance. The study, therefore, recommended that the regulatory authorities and other relevant institutions are enjoined to reassess their supervisory role with the view to strengthen the RM process and taking the issue of risk management seriously at every level of organizations to provide reasonable assurance.
- Ahmad, R. R., & Tahir, M. T. (2011). Review of the literature on enterprise risk management. Business Management Dynamics, 1(5), 8-16.
- Antonius, A. (2015). The essential of enterprise risk management. Indonesia Institute of commissioners and director.
- Arif, S. (2011). The analysis of company’s financial performance before and after implementing ERM: An empirical study in Indonesia. Asian Journal of Business and Management Sciences, 17(1), 92
- Connair, S. (2013). Enterprise risk management: from silo to strategic objectives. Armed Forces Comptroller
- COSO. (2004). Enterprise risk management—integrated framework executive summary. Retrieved April 23, 2016, from http:
- Daud, W. W., Yazid, A. S., & Hussin, M. R. (2010). The effect of chief risk officer on enterprise risk management practices: evidence from Malaysia. International business and Economics Research.
- Fadun, O. S. (2013). Risk management and risk management failure: Lessons for business enterprises. International Journal of Academic Research in Business & Social Sciences,
- Gates, S., Nicolas, J. L., & Walker, P. L. (2012). Enterprise risk management: a process for enhanced management and improved performance. Management Accounting Quarterly.
- Hoyt, R. E., & Liebenberg, A. P. (2008). The value of enterprise risk management: evidence from the U.S. insurance industry. Journal of Risk and Insurance.
- Ishaya, J. D., & Siti, Z. S. (2015). Determinants influencing the implementation of enterprise risk management in the Nigerian banking sector: International Journal of Asian Social Science
- Kacem, O., & Zemzem, A. (2014). Risk management, board characteristics and performance in Tunisian lending Institutions. International Journal of Finance and Banking Studies, 3(1), 2147-4486.
- Kallamu, B. S. (2015). Risk management committee attributes and firm performance. Journal of International Finance and Banking, 2(2), 1-24. https://
- Kyereboah, C. A. (2007). Corporate governance and shareholder value maximization: an African perspective. African Development Review,
- Liu, J. (2012). The enterprise risk management and the risk oriented internal audit. International Business Journal,
- Njogo, B. O. (2012). Risk management in the Nigerian banking industry. Kuwait Chapter of Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review,
- Odonkor, T. A., Osei, K. A., Abor, J., & Adjasi, C. K. (2011). Bank risk and performance in Ghana. International Journal of Financial Services Management,Ping, T., & Muthuveloo, D. (2015). The impact of ERM on firm performance. Asian Social Studies Journal,
- Olayinka, Eriki, Jacob (2018) Enterprises risk management and financial performance: Evidence from Emerging market,
- Reuvid, J. (2012). Managing business risk: A practical guide to protecting your business. Annals of Actuarial Science, OECD, (2011). Principles of corporate governance and its assessment methodology. Retrieved April 27, 2016
- Shima, N., Mahmood, Z., Happy, A., & Akbar, A. (2013). Enterprise risk management and performance in Malaysia. Interdisciplinary Journal of contemporary Research in Business,
- Silva, J. B., & Chan, B. L. (2014). Enterprise risk management and firm performance: evidence from Brazil. Retrieved March 3, 2017 from www.soac.unb.br/index.php/paper,
- Sobel, P. J., & Reding, K. F. (2004). Aligning corporate government with enterprise risk management. Management Accounting Quarterly
- Ugwuanyi, U. B., & Ibe, I. G. (2012) Enterprise risk management and performance of Nigeria’s brewery industry.
- Yinka, Taibat, Bamidele (2018) Enterprise risk management and financial performance of selected consumer goods companies in Nigeria.