Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 30 March 2020
The Difference in Competitiveness of Indonesian Biodiesel between Spain and the EU
Yoyon Muzayyin, Dwidjono Hadi Darwanto, Masyhuri
Gadjah Mada University (Indonesia)
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Bioenergy, Comparative Advantage, Market Share, Symmetric, Normalized, Monthly, Ultimate; Extreme, Weak, Strong
The purpose of this paper is to find the competitiveness of Indonesia's biodiesel exports in the Spanish and the European Union (EU) market as a whole using some competitiveness analysis approaches. In addition to knowing the similarities and differences in the results of the methods of analyzing the competitiveness of Indonesian biodiesel in Spain and the EU. The methodology used was comparative advantage analysis, including analysis of RCA, RSCA, and NRCA and market share. The data used are the value of biodiesel and total monthly exports of both Indonesia and other countries to Spain and the EU from January 2012 to January 2019. Through the market share approach, it was known that Indonesia's biodiesel market share in the Spanish and EU markets was only 22 percent and 0.04, respectively with an increasing trend in Spain and a decreasing trend in the EU. Each method for measuring competitiveness shows the similarity of results. Indonesia's biodiesel had competitiveness, both in Spain and the EU. Indonesia's biodiesel competitiveness trends are declining of all methods, both in the Spanish and EU markets, except the RCA method for Spain. Indonesia's biodiesel competitiveness is relatively better in Spain than the EU. The originality that there was not paper on the theme of the comparative competitiveness of Indonesia's biodiesel exports in Spain and the EU. This paper also proposes new criteria for determining competitiveness using existing competitiveness analysis methods. This can be input to determine better steps in marketing Indonesian biodiesel to Spain and the EU.
- Cooper, L. G. and Nakanishi, M. (1988), “Market Share Analysis: Evaluating Competitive Marketing Effectiveness”, Kluwer Academic Publishers, United States of America.
- Dalum, B., Laursen, K. and Villumsen, G. (1998), "Structural change in OECD export specialisation patterns: de-specialisation and “stickiness”", International Review of Applied Economics, 12(3), pp. 423–443, doi: 10.1080/02692179800000017.
- Dewanta, A.S., Arfani, R. N., and Erfita (2016), "Elasticity and competitiveness of Indonesia’s palm oil export in the India market", Economic Journal of Emerging Markets, 8(2), 148 - 158, doi: 10.20885/ejem.vol8.iss2.art7.
- Erkan, B. and Yildirimci, E. (2015), "Economic Complexity and Export Competitiveness: The Case of Turkey", Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, Elsevier B.V., 195, pp. 524–533, doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.06.262.
- EUBIA (2020), "Biodiesel". European Biomass Industry Association, available at: (Accessed 5 January 2020).
- European Commission (2014), "Biofuels", available at: (Accessed 5 January 2020).
- European Union (2019), "The 28 member countries of the EU", available at: (Accessed 26 December 2019).
- Han, X., Wen, Y., and Kant, S. (2009), “Forest Policy and Economics The global competitiveness of the Chinese wooden furniture industry”, Forest Policy and Economics, available at:
- Hinloopen, J. and Marrewijk, C. V. (2001), "On the Empirical Distribution of the Balassa", Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, 137(1), pp. 1–35, available at:
- Hoang, V. V., Tran, K. T., Tu, B. V., Nguyen, V. N. and Nguyen, A. Q. (2017), "Agricultural competitiveness of vietnam by the RCA and the NRCA Indices, and consistency of competitiveness indices", Agris On-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, 9(4), pp. 53–67, doi: 10.7160/aol.2017.090406.
- ITC (2020), "List of importers for the selected product", available at: (Accessed 5 January 2020).
- Kathuria, L. M. (2013), "Analyzing competitiveness of clothing export sector of india and Bangladesh: Dynamic revealed comparative advantage approach", Competitiveness Review, 23(2), pp. 131–157, doi: 10.1108/10595421311305343.
- Muzayyin, Y., Masyhuri, Darwanto, D. H., Junaidi, E. (2019), "Competitiveness and protection policy: the case of Indonesian lobster exports to the Asian markets", International Journal of Trade and Global Markets, 12(3/4), pp. 260–271, doi: 10.1504/ijtgm.2019.101562.
- Pambudi, A., Puspitawati, E. and Nursechafia (2019), "The Determinants of Biodiesel Export in Indonesia", Signifikan: jurnal ilmu ekonomi, 8(2), 207-2016, doi: 10.15408/sjie.v8i2.1096.
- Prapaspongsa, T. and Gheewala, S. H. (2017), "Consequential and attributional environmental assessment of biofuels: implications of modelling choices on climate change mitigation strategies", International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 22(11), pp. 1644–1657, doi: 10.1007/s11367-017-1355-2.
- Vega-quezada, C., Blanco, M. and Romero, H. (2016), "Synergies between agriculture and bioenergy in Latin American countries : A circular economy strategy for bioenergy production in Ecuador", New BIOTECHNOLOGY, Elsevier B.V., pp. 1–9, doi: 10.1016/j.nbt.2016.06.730.
- Yu, R., Cai, J. and Leung, P. S. (2009), "The normalized revealed comparative advantage index", Annals of Regional Science, 43(1), pp. 267–282, doi: 10.1007/s00168-008-0213-3.