Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 20 January 2020
The Effect of Specific Factors on Bank Profitability: Evidence from Nepalese Banks
Prem Bahadur Budhathoki, Chandra Kumar Rai
Tribhuvan University, Nepal
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Capitalization, Asset Quality, Operating Efficiency, Bank Diversification
This paper examines the impact of assets quality, capital adequacy ratio, assets diversification and operating efficiency on banks’ profitability. This study employs bank scope data of eight commercial banks during the period of 2002/03 – 2016/17. Altogether, there are 96 observations are made in the study. The ordinary least squares model is used to analyze the data. The results indicate that three predictor variables assets quality, operating efficiency, and capital adequacy ratio significantly affect bank profitability. But the predictor variable diversification does not affect banks’ profitability significantly. The results of this study help the bankers and policymakers to take effective action in order to improve banks’ profitability.
- Ahamed, M. M. (2017). Asset quality, non-interest income, and bank profitability: Evidence from Indian banks. Economic Modeling, 63, 1-14.
- Bhatta, G. (2015). Theoretical paradigm on bank capital regulation and its impact on bank-borrower behavior. Economic Review, 27(2), 19-34.Retrieved from https://www.nrb.org.np/ecorev/articles/Vol27-2-art2.Theoretical_Paradigm_Final.pdf
- Bhattarai, Y. R. (2016). Effects of credit risk on the performance of Nepalese commercial banks. Economic Review, 28(1), 41-64. https://www.nrb.org.np/ecorev/articles/vol28-1_art3.pdf
- Bhetuwal, K. R. (2007). Financial liberalization and financial development in Nepal. Economic Review,16, 23-41. Retrieved from
- Curak, M., Poposki, K., & Pepur, S. (2012). Profitability determinants of the Macedonian banking sector in changing environment. Procedia- Social and Behavioral Sciences, 44, 406-416. Doi.10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.05.045
- Damtsa, S. M., Milidonis, A. & Stathopoulos, K. (2019). National culture and bank risk–taking. Journal of Financial Stability, 40, 132-143.
- Dietrich, A. & Wanzenried, G. (2014). The determinants of commercial banking profitability in low-, middle-, and high-income countries. The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 54, 337-354.
- Fang, J., Lau, C. M., Lu, Z., Tan, Y., & Zhang, H. (2019). Bank performance in China: A perspective from bank efficiency, risk taking and market competition. Pacific- Basin Finance Journal, 56, 290-309.
- Gup, B. E. & Kolari, J. W. (2012). Commercial banking: The management of Risk. New Delhi: Willey India (p) Ltd.
- Kharel, R. S. & Pokharel, D. R. (2012). Does Nepal’s financial structure matter for economic growth? Economic Review, 24 (2), 31-46. Retrieved from https://www.nrb.org.np/ecorev/pdffiles/vol24- 2_art3.pdf
- Lind, D. A. , Marchal, W. G., and Wathen, S. A. (2006). Basic statistics for business and statistics. New York: McGraw Hill.
- Neupane, B. P. (2015). Role of financial development in economic growth in Nepal. Economic Review, 27(1), 1-16. Retrieved from
- Ovi, N. Z., Perera, S., & Colombage, S. (2014). Market power, credit risk, revenue diversification, and bank stability in selected ASEAN countries. South East Asia Research, 22 (3), 399-416. Retrieved from
- Petria, N., Capraru, B., & Ihnatov, I. (2015). Determinants of banks profitability: Evidence from EU 27 banking systems. Procedia Economics and Finance, 20, 518-524. Doi.org.10.1016/S2212-5671(15)00104-5
- Pouroush, J., & Schreiber, B. Z. (2019). Profitability, capital, and risk in US commercial and saving banks: Re-examination of estimation methods. The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance. http://dx.doi.org.10.1016/j.qref.2018.12.007
- Rose, P. S. (2002). Commercial bank management. New York: McGrawHill Companies.
- Saona, P. (2016). Intra-and extra-bank determinants of Latin American Banks’ profitability. International Review of Economics and Finance, 45, 197-214.
- Shrestha, G. K. (2004). Financial sector reforms in Nepal. Economic Review, 16, 75-90. Retrieved from
- Sufian, F., & Kamarudhin, F. (2012). Bank-specific and macroeconomic determinants of profitability of Bangladesh’s commercial banks. The Bangladesh Development Studies, 35 (4), 1-28. Retrieved from
- Tan, Y. (2016). The impact of risk and competition on bank profitability in China. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institution & Money, 40, 85-110. http://dx.doi.org.10.1016/j.intfin.2015.09.003
- Tan, Y. (2017). The impact of competition and shadow banking on profitability: Evidence from the Chinese banking industry. North American Journal of Economics and Finance, 42, 89-106.
- Tan, y., & Floros, C. (2014). Risk, profitability, and competition: Evidence from the Chinese banking industry. The Journal of Developing Areas, 48(3), 303-319. Retrieved from
- Tiko, j., Skvarciany, V., & Jureviciene, D. (2015). Drivers of bank profitability: Case of Latvia and Lithunia. Intellectual Economics, 9, 120-129.
- Trad, N., Trabelsi, M. A., & Goux, J. F. (2017). Risk and profitability of Islamic banks: A religious or an alternative solution?. European Research on Management and Business Economics, 23, 40-45.