Journal of Economics and Business
ISSN 2615-3726 (Online)
ISSN 2621-5667 (Print)
Published: 06 April 2020
The Relationship Between Green Marketing Adoption and Business Size: Evidences from Agro-processing Sector in Morogoro, Tanzania
Jerum W. Kilumile, Johakim Katekele John, Shauku S. Kihombo
Mzumbe University (Tanzania), Beijing Institute of Technology (China)
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Green Marketing, Green Marketing Practices adoption and Business size
Green Marketing is among the contemporary issues in the field of Marketing. While many studies have been done in this field elsewhere, little studies have been conducted in Tanzania. Thus, this study aimed at identifying the level of green marketing adoption among agro-processing businesses in the context of Tanzania and studying the influence of business size on green marketing adoption. Data were collected from 120 micro, small and medium enterprises operating in agro-processing sector in Morogoro region. The findings show that, the level of adoption of green marketing practices is low as most businesses adopted relatively few practices. Also, it was found that, there is an association between business size and level of adoption of green marketing practices. It has to be noted that, the findings are limited to agro processing industry in Morogoro since the applicability of these findings to other industries is uncertain as data were collected in agro-processing industry.
- Ashton, W., Russell, S., and Futch E (2017). The adoption of green business practices among small US Midwestern manufacturing enterprises: Journal of environmental planning and management; 43 (4): 717-736
- Barney, J., Ketchen, D., & Wright, M. (2011). The future of resource-based theory: Revitalization decline? Journal of Management,37 (5), 1299 –1315.
- Campbell, J. (2007). Why would corporations behave in socially responsible ways? An institutional theory of corporate social responsibility. Acad. Management. Rev. 32(3), 946–967
- Dardan, S.L., Kumar, R.L., Stylianou, A.C. (2007). The diffusion of customer-related IT among large and midsized companies. Inform. Res. Management Journal. 20(4), 12–24
- Dowell, G. & Stuart, H. (2011). A natural Resource based view of the firms: Fifteen year after. Journal of Management 37(5): 1464-1479
- Durmaz, Y., & Yaşar, H. V. (2016). Green Marketing and Benefits to Business. Business and Management Studies, 2(2).
- Hasan, Z & Ali, N Z (2015). The Impact of Green Marketing Strategy on the firm's Performance in Malaysia. Global Conference on Business & Social Science-2014, GCBSS-2014, 15th &16thDecember, Kuala Lumpur. Retrieved from
- Hayami, H.; Nakamura, M.; Nakamura, A (2015). Economic performance and supply chains: The impact of upstream firms' waste output on downstream firms’ performance in Japan. International Journal. Oper. Econ. 160, 47–65.
- Henion, K, E. & Kinnear, T, C. (1976). Green marketing: Ecological marketing workshop American Marketing Association, Chicago America
- Herbig, R.A. And Butler D. D. (1993). The greening and international marketing. Journal of Teaching in International Business, 5 (1/2): pp. 63-74
- Hsu, C.-C.; Tan, K.C.; Zailani, S.H.M.; Jayaraman, V. (2013) Supply chain drivers that foster the development of green initiatives in an emerging economy. Int. J. Oper. Prod. Manag., pp. 656–688.
- Johansson, G. 2002. Success factors for integration of eco-design in product development: A review of state of the art. Environmental Management and Health,13 (1): 98-
- Juwaheer, T. D., Pudaruth, S., & Noyaux, M. M. E. (2012). Analyzing the impact of green marketing strategies on consumer purchasing patterns in Mauritius. World Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 8(1), 36–59. doi:10.1108/20425961211221615
- Kardosa M (2012) The Relationship between Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Sustainable Development. Research on European Union Countries, Procedia Economics and Finance 3,1030 – 1035
- Kimario, J. (2014). Influence of customer demand and green product innovation on firm’s performance. A case of food processing firms in Tanzania. Business management review journal, 4 (2): 43-55
- Kinoti, M. (2011). Green marketing Intervention Strategies and Sustainable Development: A Conceptual Paper. International Journal of Business and Social Science Vol. 2 No. 23
- Kothari. C. R (2008). Research Methodology: Methods & Techniques, 2nd Edition. New Age International Publishers, New Delhi.
- Kotler P. (2010). From the product to customer to human spirit: Marketing 3.0. New Jersey, Hoboken, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Kotler, P & Armstrong, G. (2014). Principles of Marketing, 15thGlobal edition. England, Financial Pearson Education Limited.
- Lee S, and Klassen, R. (2008). Drivers and enablers that foster environmental Management Capabilities in Small and Medium sized suppliers in Supply chains. Journal of Production and Operations Management 17 (6): 573-583
- Ofunya, F. A. (2012). Drivers for adoption of green marketing by Kenya tea firms. Journal of Business Administration, 2(5), 90–100.
- Polonsky, M. J. (1994). An introduction to Green marketing. Electronic Green Journal, vol.1, Issue 2.
- Polonsky, M. J. (2001). Re-evaluating Green marketing: A Strategic Approach. Business Horizons, Vol.44 Issue 5, pg.10, pg.21,
- Porter, M.E & Linder V. D. (1995). Green and competitive. Harvard business review73(5, 120-143)
- Robert, D (2011). Green Marketing Theory, Practice and Strategies: 1st Indian Edition. India Centage Learning Publishers
- Sarkar, A. N. (2012). Green Branding and Eco-innovations for Evolving a Sustainable Green Marketing Strategy. Asia-Pacific Journal of Management Research and Innovation, 8(1), 39–58. doi:10.1177/2319510X1200800106
- Singh, Neelam, Suresh Jain, and Prateek Sharma. 2014. “Determinants of Proactive Environmental Management Practices in Indian Firms: An Empirical Study.” Journal of Cleaner Production 66: 469–478. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.11.055.
- Singh, Neelam, Suresh Jain, and Prateek Sharma. 2015. “Motivations for Implementing Environmental Management Practices in Indian Industries.” Ecological Economics 109: 1–8. doi: 10.1016/j.ecolecon.2014.11.003.
- Uhlaner, Lorraine, Marta Berent-Braun, Ronald Jeurissen, and Gerrit Wit. 2012. “Beyond Size: Predicting Engagement in Environmental Management Practices of Dutch SMEs.” Journal of Business Ethics 109 (4): 411 429. doi:10.1007/s10551-011 1137-x.107
- United Republic of Tanzania [URT]. (2003). Small and medium enterprise development policy. In Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Government: Printer.
- Zhu, K., Kraemer, K.L., Xu, S. (2006). The process of innovation assimilation by firms in different countries: A technology diffusion perspective on e-business. Journal of Management Science 52(10), 1557–1576