Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 16 October 2019
The Role of Business Environment on the Establishment of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises in Taraba State
Jerome Nyameh, Maiyaki Hosea Ibrahim, Victor Timothy, Hamisu Idrus
Taraba State University Jalingo, Nigeria
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Business Environment, Establishment of SMEs and Taraba State
The research study examines the role of business environment on the establishment of small and medium scale enterprises in Taraba State. To achieve that the following research objectives were formulated; (i) to determine the impact of external business environmental on the developing SMEs in Taraba state, (ii) to evaluate the existing SMEs in Taraba State, (iii) to analyze problems of developing of SMEs in Taraba state, (iv) Examine the link between business environment and SMEs In Taraba State. The research method adopted was quantitative technique were Data collected were and analyzed using Statistical Package for Social Scientists (SPSS) Version 26. A total of three hundred and twenty-four (324) copies of the questionnaire were administered, out of which three hundred and sixteen (316) copies representing (97.5%) of the questionnaire were properly completed and retrieved while eight (8) copies representing (2.5%) were not retrieved. The data were presented in tables as frequency distribution in the data analysis; the techniques of percentage frequencies, mean and standard deviation were used. The hypotheses were tested with chi-square and multiple regression method at 5% significance level. The result shows that gender, age, education level, risk-taking and employee's skills have no significant relationship with business growth while years of experience with (P-value =0.032) have a significant relationship with business growth. The test also revealed that there was a statistically significant association existing between size of sales (P-value=0.001< 0.05), gained profit (P-value=0.0026 < 0.05), credit control (P-value=0.015< 0.05), location (P-value=0.009< 0.05) and access to fund (P-value=0.014< 0.05) with business establishment in the business environment. Regression analysis was used to check relative contribution of business environment (Internal Factors) on Business Growth Using Regression Analysis. The result indicated that size of sales, credit control, financial management practices have significant effect on the business growth of SMEs with P-value< 0.05. Furthermore, from the regression output for effect of external factors on business growth, it also revealed that location, access to fund has significant effect on the business growth of SMEs with P-value< 0.05. regression analysis also indicated that government regulation, government agency, sundry bill, access to fund and bureaucratic process have significant effect on business growth in Taraba State. Consequently, both internal and external business environmental factors have significant effect on the establishment of SMEs in Taraba state.
- Abubakar, S. (2015) Effect of environmental factors on small scale businesses performance in Kano and Sokoto States. Unpublished Msc Thesis of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna
- Adebayo, I. O., Ogunyomi, P. O. & Ojodu, H.O. (2005). Introduction to Business Management, 2nd ed., Lagos, Abilejo Printing Press.
- Adeloye, L. (2012, May 11). Federal Government Unveils Strategies to Reposition SMEs. The Punch. Retrieved March 21, 2019, from http://www.punch.ng.
- Adeoye, A. O. (2012). Impact of External Business Environment on Organizational Performance on Food and Beverage Industry in Nigeria. British Journal of Arts and Social Sciences, 6(2), pp. 56-65.
- Adeoye, B. H. (2012). External business environment on organizational performance in the food and beverage industry. Global Journal of Social Sciences. 2(1): 21 – 26.
- Akindele, R. I., Oginni, B. O. & Omoyele, S. O. (2012). Survival of Private Universities in Nigeria: Issues, Challenges and Prospects. International Journal of Innovative Research in Management, 1 (2), pp. 30-43.
- Alabi, J., Alabi G., & Ahiawodzi, A. (2007). Effect of Susu- a traditional micro finance mechanism on the organised and non- organised micro and small enterprises (MSEs) in Ghana: African Journal of Business Management, Vol. 1(8), 201-208, Nov. 2007.
- Alarape, A. A. (2007). Entrepreneurship programmes, operational efficiency and growth of small businesses, Journal of Enterprising Communities: People and Places in the Global Economy Emerald Group Publishing Ltd 1(3), 222-239
- Aldrich, H. (1999) Organizations Evolving. London: Sage Publications.
- Altenburg, T. & Von Drachenfelds, C. 2006. Proceedings from the Asia Regional Consultative Conference: Creating Better Business Environments for Enterprise Development Asian and Global Lessons for more Effective Donor Practices. Bangkok, Thailand.
- Angahar, P. A. (2012). Fast tracking economic empowerment and poverty reduction through support of local councils for micro and small businesses in Nigeria. International Journal of Business and Management Tomorrow, 2(4), 1-9, April.
- Appiah-Adu, K. & Singh, S. (1998). Customer orientation and performance. Management Decision, 36(6), 385-394.
- Asaolu, T. O. (2004). Evaluation of the performance of the cooperative investment and credit societies (CICS) in financing small scale enterprises (SSEs) in Osun State, Nigeria. Unpublished PhD Thesis Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
- Ayifagari, M.T. Beck & Demirguc-Kunt, A. (2003), Small and medium scale enterprises across the Globe: A New Database; World Bank, Development Research Group. Working paper 3127 Washington DC
- Ayozie, D. O. (2011). The role of small scale industry for small business and entrepreneurship” 32rd Annual Conference, Held in Delta state University, Abraka Delta state.
- Ayyagari, M., Beck, T. & Demirguc-Kunt (2005). Small and medium enterprises across the globe.www.tilburguniversity.edu/webwijs/files/center/beck/publications.obstacles/globe.pdf
- Bako, T., Oparaku, L. A., & Flayin, J. M. (2016). The Environment Issues of Taraba State. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol. 7 (2), pp. 286-294
- Balunywa, W. (2010), What are Small Scale Enterprises? Entrepreneurship and Small Business Enterprise: Makere University Business School at http://evancarmicheal.com/Africa-Account/1639/40-what are smallenterprises-entrepreneurship-and-small-business-enterprises-growth.
- Birley, S. (2004), Start-up in Small Business and Entrepreneurship, eds. Burns, P. and Dewhurst, J. Macmilan.
- Black, J. & Farias, G. (1997), “Genesis of complexity cycles”, paper presented at 8th Annual International Conference of The Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology ancd Life Sciences, Boston University, Boston, MA, 31 July.
- Blankson, C., Motwani, J.G. & Levenburg, N.M. (2006). Understanding the patterns of market orientation among small businesses. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 24(6), 572-590.
- CBN (2011). Development finance. Retrieved on the 11th of Febuary, 2019 from http://www.cenBank.org/devfin/acgst.asp.
- Chadamoyo, P., & Dumbu, E. (2012). Competitive strategy and business environment influencing performance of Small and Medium Enterprises in the Manufacturing sector: The case study of manufacturing firms in Mucheke light industry. European Journal of Business and Management www.iiste.org, Vol 4, No.10
- Clydesdale, G. (2010). Entrepreneurial Opportunity: The Right Place at the Right Time. Routledge, New York.
- Chakravarthy, B. (1997), “A new strategy framework for coping with turbulence”, SloanManagementReviewWinter, pp. 69-82.
- Conner, D.R. (1998), Leading at the Edge of Chaos: How to Create the Nimble Organization, John Wiley, New York, NY.
- De Jong, G., Phan, A. T. & van Ees, H. (2012). Which entrepreneurs bribe and what do they get from it? Exploratory evidence from Vietnam. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 36, 323–345.
- Djankov, S., Glaeser, E., La Porta, R., Lopez-de-Silanes, F., & Shleifer, A. (2003). The new comparative economics. Journal of Comparative Economics, 31, 595–619.
- Donor Committee for Enterprise Development. 2009. Business environment reforms and the informal economy. University of Maryland: Zinnes, C.
- Eboh, E.C.& Lemchi J.I. (2010). Business Environment in Nigerian States: Tackling the Security Challenge. African Institute for Applied Economics, Enugu.
- Eneh, S. N. (2014). Accessibility of Credit Facility from Financial Institutions. A thesis submitted to the Department of Accountancy, Faculty of Business Administration University of Nigeria
- Erick, A. G. R. (2012) The Impact of the Business Environment on the Size of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise Sector; Preliminary Findings from a Cross-Country Comparison. International Conference on Small and Medium Enterprises Development with a Theme (ICSMED 2012) Procedia Economics and Finance 4 ( 2012) 335 – 349 doi: 10.1016/S2212-5671(12)00348-6
- Eruemegbe , G. O.(2015) Impact of Business Environment on Organization Performance in Nigeriaa Study of Union Bank of Nigeria. European Scientific Journal November 2015/SPECIAL/ edition ISSN: 1857 – 7881 pp 478-494
- Ezema, M.C. (2014). Small and Medium Scale Enterprises in Nigeria: Problems and prospects. A thesis submitted to the Department of Management, Faculty of Business Administration University of Nigeria.
- Francis, A. S. T. M. (2000). Profile of small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs) in the SADC economies, Center for Development Research, Bonn University, Bonn.
- Gado, N. D. (2015). The impact of the Nigerian business environment on company performance: A case of 20 most capitalized companies in Nigeria. International Journal of Business and Management Review, 3(4), 36- 48.
- Garga, E. (2015). The effects of insecurity and poverty on human development at the municipal level in the Northern Nigeria. Journal of Emerging Trends in Economics and ManagementSciences, 6(7), 268- 276.
- Ghani, K. D. A., Nayan, S., Izaddin, S. A., Ghazali, S. M. & Shafie, L. A. (2010). Critical internal and external factors that affect firms strategic planning. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, Issue 51, 50-58.
- Gilmore, A., Carson, D. & Grant, K. (2001). SME marketing in practice. Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 19(1), 6-11.
- Gonzales Rocha, E.A. (2012). The Impact of the Business Environment on the Size of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise Sector; Preliminary Findings from a Cross-Country Comparison. Kobe University, 2-1 Rokkodai-cho, Nada-ku, Kobe 657-8501, Japan, Procedia Economics and Finance, Volume 4, pp. 335–349
- Green, K.W. Jr, Chakrabarty, S. & Whitten, D. (2007). Organisational culture of customer care: market orientation and service quality. International Journal of Services and Standards, 3(2), 137-153.
- Gulani, M. G. and Usman, A. (2013) Financing Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs): A Challenge for Entrepreneurial Development in Gombe State. Asian Journal of Business and Management Sciences Vol. 2 No. 9 17-23
- Hills, G.E., Hultman, C.M. & Miles, M.P. (2008). The Evolution and Development of Entrepreneurial Marketing. Journal of Small Business Management, 46(1), 99-112.
- Hyvönen, S. & Tuominen, M. (2007). Channel Collaboration, Market Orientation and Performance Advantages: Discovering Developed and Emerging Markets. International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research, 17(5), 423-445.
- Ibidunni, O. S. and Ogundele, O. J. K. (2013). Competition in Marketing, Survival Yardstick for Small and Medium Enterprises in Nigeria. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 4(1), pp. 231–240.
- ICAN: Nigeria First –icanig.org/ican/documents/TNA-OCT-DEC-2017.pdf
- Ihua, U. (2009), ‘Small and Medium Scale Enterprises key failure-factor’: A Comparison between United Kingdom and Nigeria, in Journal of Social Science 18-(3)199-207, Kent, University of Kent.
- International Labour Organization. 2005. Assesing the influence of the business environment on small enterprise employment. Geneva, Switzerland: White, S.
- Imoisi K. L., & Ephraim, S. D. (2015). The role of small and medium scale enterprises in economic development in Nigeria. Journal of Technology and Innovation. 3(2): pp 109 – 115.
- Ireghah, M.M. (2011), Entrepreneurship Studies: Concepts and Practice: The Requirement for starting A Business Enterprise, Benin, Gompia Press, Revised Edition.
- Izedomi, (2006), ‘Sourcing Finance for Start-up and Existing Business in Nigeria’: Prospects and Challenges. ICAN Student Journal, vol.10, No.2.
- Joppe, M. (2000). The Research Process. Available at:http://www.htm.uoguelph.ca/MJResearch/rp.htm. Accessed on 21 February 2019.
- Kelly, S. (1999), The Complexity Advantage: How the Science of Complexity Can Help Your Business Achieve Peak Performance, BusinessWeek Books, New York, NY.
- Keynes, J. M. (1936) The general theory of employment, Interest and money. New York: Macmillan Press.
- Kohli, A.K. & Jaworski, B.J. (1990). Market Orientation: The Construct, Research Propositions, and Managerial Implications. Journal of Marketing, 54(2), 1-18.
- Kozak, R. (2007), Small and Medium Forest Enterprises: Instrument of Change in the Developing World. Vancouver, British Colombia, University of British Columbia.
- Kuratko, D. F., & Hodgetts, R. M. (2001). Entrepreneurship: A Contemporary Approach. 5th Edition, New York, Harcourt – Brace Inc.
- Lane, D., & Maxfield, R. (1996) ‘Strategy under Complexity: Fostering Generative Relationships’, Long Range Planning 29 (2): 215-231.
- Lilien, G. L. Rangaswamy, A., Van Bruggen, G.H. & Wierenga, B. (2002) ‘Bridging the Marketing Theory-practice Gap with Marketing Engineering’, Journal of Business Research,55 (February): 111-122.
- Macqueen, D. (2006), Governance Towards responsible Forest Business. Guidance on Different Types of Forest Business and the Ethics to which they gravitate. International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED): London, United Kingdom.
- Mason, R. B. (2007)The external environment’s effect on management and strategy: A complexity theory approach Management Decision Vol. 45 No. 1, pp. 10-28 Emerald Group Publishing Limited 0025-1747 DOI 10.1108/00251740710718935
- McCartan-Quinn, D. & Carson, D. (2003). Issues which Impact upon Marketing in the Small Firm. Small Business Economics, 21(2), 201-231.
- McGlone, T.A. & Ramsey, R.P. (1998), “Getting realistic about reality: using chaos theory to explain marketing phenomena”, Proceedings of Society for Marketing Advances Conference, New Orleans, LA, 4-7 November.
- Mohammed, U. D., & Obeleagu-Nzelibe, C. G. (2014). Entrepreneurial Skills and Profitability of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs): Resource Acquisition Strategies for New Ventures in Nigeria. Proceedings of 25th International Business Research Conference 13 -14 January, 2014, Taj Hotel, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Moore, C.W., Petty, J.W., Palich L.E., Longenecker, J.G. (2010). Managing Business: An Entrepreneurial Emphasis. 15thEdition, South-Western Cengage Learning, USA.
- Norzalita, A. A. & Norjaya, M. Y. (2010): How will market orientation and external environment influence the performance among SMEs in the agro-food sector in Malaysia? International BusinessResearch Journal, 3(3), July. 154-164
- Obasan, K. (2014) The Impact of Business Environment on the Survival of Small Scale Businesses in Nigeria. Global Business and Management Research: An International Journal Int. J. Manag. Bus. Res., 4 (3), 165-170,
- O’Dwyer, M., Gilmore, A. & Carson, D. (2009). Innovative marketing in SMEs. European Journal of Marketing, 43(1/2), 46-61.
- Ogechukwu, A. (2006), The Role of Small Scale Industry in National Development in Nigeria:. Texas Corpus Christi, Texas, United State.
- Ogundele, O. J. K. (2007). Introduction to Entrepreneurship Development, Corporate Governance and Small Business Management (Lagos: Molofin Nominees).
- Ogundele, O. J. K. (2005). Management and Organization Theory and Behaviour, Lagos: Nigeria, Sabte Book Series.
- Ogundele, O. J. K. & Opeifa, A. Z. (2004). The Influence of External Political Environment on the Processes of Entrepreneurship. The Nigerian Academic Forum: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 7 (5) p. 7.
- Ola, C. (1993). Nigerian Business Environment: Lagos; Published by Abiola Bookshop Limited.
- Oluremi, H. A. & Gbenga, M. A. (2011). Environmental Factors and Entrepreneurship, Development in Nigeria. Journal of Sustainable Development in Africa, 13 (4), pp. 127-139.
- Okwu, A.T., Bakare, G.B., & Obiwuru, T.C. (2013). Business Environment, Job Creation and Employment Capacities of Small and Medium Enterprises in Lagos State, Nigeria: A Descriptive Analysis. Business Management Dynamics, Vol.3, No.2, pp.97-110.
- Omotola, D. (2008), Small Scale Enterprises, Economic Reform and National Development in Nigeria:. Logos Adejo Publishing.
- Oni, E. O. & Daniya, A. A. (2012). Development of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises: The Role of Government and other Financial Institutions. Arabian Journal of Business and Management Review (OMAN Chapter), 1(7), February, 16-29.
- Onugu, B.A. (2005), “SMEs in Nigeria: Problems & Prospects” Dissertation paper presented to Clement University, Lagos.
- Orisanaye, M. O. (2004). Developing entrepreneurial skills for self reliance: A strategy for sustainable development in the 21st century. International Journal of Socio-economic Development and Strategic Studies, 1 (1 and 2), 122-142
- Orogbu, L., Onyeizugbe, C. U. & Chukwuma, E. (2017) Economic Environment of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises: Implications on Economic Growth in Nigeria Journal of Economics, Management and Trade 19 (4): 1-12, 2017
- Oyebanji, J. (1994). Nigerian Business Environment and Organization Effectiveness; Abiola Bookshop Limited.
- Oyelaran-Oyeyinka, B. (2008) SMEs Issues Challenges and Prospects. Financial System Strategies 2020 International Conference.
- Penrose, F. (1959). Resource base theory: New Delhi: Bough-Press.
- Pollard, D. (2006): Promoting Learning Transfer. Developing SME Marketing Knowledge in the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, Ukraine.
- Ramsey, E.Ibbotson, P. Bell, J. & Gray, B.`(2003) E-oppotunities of service sector SMEs,Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 10(3)
- Richard, O. C., Wu, P., & Chadwick, K. (2009). The impact of entrepreneurial orientation onfirm performance. The role of CEO position tenure and industry tenure. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 20(5), 1078-1095. doi:10.1080/09585190902850281.
- Riinvest Institute (2008): Zhvillimi dhe kushtet e afarizmit të NVM në Kosovë, ProjektHulumtues, Prishtinë, Kosovë
- Rotimi, A. (2014). Implications of environmental factors on performance of small scale enterprises in Nigeria. Journal of Business Statistics. 3(4): 321-330.
- Sashittal, H.C. & Jassawalla, A.R. (2001). Marketing Implementation in Smaller Organizations: Definition, Framework, and Propositional Inventory. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 29(1), 50-69.
- Schindler, P.S. & Cooper, R.D. (2006). Business Research Methods. United States: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
- Schumpeter H. (1934) Economic development on innovations. New Delhi: Eaglewood Press.
- SMEDAN. (2012). Survey report on micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in Nigeria. 2010 National MSME collaborative survey. Collaboration between National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) and The Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN). January 2019. http://www.smedan.gov.ng/images/collaborative% 20survey%20report.smedan nbs.pdf 17/01/19,
- Small and Medium Industries Equity Investment Scheme (SMIEIS) (2006). A paper Presented at the National Summit on SMIEIS Organised by the Bankers‟ Committee and Lagos Chambers of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), Lagos on 10th June 2003. Retrieved on 12/02/2019 from http://www.cenbank.org/OUT/SPEECHES/2003/GOVADD-10BJUNE.PDF
- Suh, J.D. (2010) Risks and Opportunities facing SMEs in the post-crisis Era. Poster presented at The APEC SMEs Training Workshop, Taipei, Korea May 24th – 28th, May.
- Sunday, Y.E. (2008). Introduction to Business, 2nd Edition Published by Olas Ventures, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Svensson, J. (2005). Eight questions about corruption. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 19, 19–42.
- Tu, P. A. (2012). The impact of entrepreneurial characteristics on bribery incidence in transition economies. Asia Academy of Management Journal, 17(2), 155–175.
- Vo Van Dut (2015)The effects of local business environments on SMEs’ performance: Empirical evidence from the Mekong Delta: Asian Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 20, No. 1, 101–122, 2015 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/280232893
- Wilkinson, I. F., & Young, L. (2005) ‘Toward A Normative Theory of Normative Marketing Theory Journal of Business Research 55 (February): 1-17.