Journal of Health and Medical Sciences
Published: 30 December 2019
Development of Life-Worldly Communication Scale for Older Persons: A Pilot Study
Yasuko Fukaya, Takanori Kitamura, Ritsuko Wakabayashi, Minato Kawaguchi
Kanto-Gakuin University (Japan), Tokai University (Japan)
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Pilot Study, Scale Development, Life-Worldly Communication, Reliability, Validity, Home Care, Nursing Home
Objectives: Our prior study revealed that the speech duration of older people in long-term care facilities in Japan is four minutes in one day, owing to the lack of “life-worldly communications.” This study is a pilot study for the development and validation of the Life-Worldly Communication Scale (LWCS) that can efficiently measure the life-worldly communication duration of older people. Methods: The subjects were 65 individuals, 65 years of age or older, who were chosen among people living in long-term care facilities and in home care in Japan. The items of LWCS were generated from related literature. The content validity of LWCS was examined from the content validity ratio. Construct validity of LWCS was verified by exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses. Convergent or discriminant validity was examined from the relation between LWCS and the life-worldly communication time or depression level. Reliability was examined by inspecting internal consistency and stability. Results: The LWCS proved satisfactory in the goodness-of-fit index (GFI = .92, NFI = .91, CFI = .99, RMSEA =.03) by confirmatory factor analysis. Convergent validity of LWCS was supported by a significant correlation between LWCS and the life-worldly communication time (r = .62, P <.001). Reliability of LWCS was confirmed by internal consistency (Cronbach’s α =. 90) and stability (test-retest, r =.70, p <. 01). Conclusions: The reliability and validity of the LWCS were confirmed in the study population. However, the number of items included in each factor was insufficient. Efforts to improve LWCS are needed in the future.
- Arain, M., Campbell, J. M., Cooper, L. C., & Lancaster, A.G. (2010). What is a pilot or feasibility study? A review of current practice and editorial policy, BMC Medical Research Methodology, 10:67. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2288/10/67
- Arnold, D. M., Burns, K. E., Adhikari, N. K., Kho, M. E., Meade, M. O., &Cook, D. J. (2009). The design and interpretation of pilot trials in clinical research in critical care, Critical Care Medicine, 37(1), 69-74. DOI: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e3181920e33
- Balzer-Riley, J. W. (2012). Communication in nursing, 7th End. St. Louis, Mo: Elsevier/Mosby.
- Boateng, O, G., Neilands, B. T., Frongillo, A. E., Melgar-Quiñonez, R. H., & Young, L.S. (2018). Best Practices for Developing and Validating Scales for Health, Social, and Behavioral Research: A Primer, Frontiers in Public Health, 6(149). DOI: 10.3389/fpubh.2018.00149
- Boorsma, M., Joling, K., Dussel, M., Ribbe, M., Frijters, D., van Marwijk, H.W., … van Hout H. (2012). The incidence of depression and its risk factors in Dutch nursing homes and residential care homes, American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 20(11), 932-942. DOI: 10.1097/JGP.0b013e31825d08ac.
- Borsboom, D., Mellenbergh, G.J., & van Heerden, J. (2004). The concept of validity, Psychological Review,111(4),1061-71. DOI:10.1037/0033-295X.111.4.1061
- Bridges, J., & Fuller, A. (2015). Creating learning environments for compassionate care: a programme to promote compassionate care by health and social care teams, International Journal of Older People Nursing, 10(1), 48-58.
- DOI: 10.3389/fpubh.2018.00149
- Burgio, L.D., Allen-Burge, R., Roth, D.L., Bourgeois, M.S., Dijkstra, K., Gerstle, J., & Jackson, E. B. (2001). Come Talk With Me: Improving Communication Between Nursing Assistants and Nursing Home Residents During Care Routines, Gerontologist, 41(4),449-60.
- DOI: 10.1093/geront/41.4.449
- Canadian Institute for Health Information. (2010). Depression Among seniors in residential care. [Internet]. [cited year month date]. Available from: https://secure.cihi.ca/free_products/ccrs_depression_among_seniors_e.pdf
- Caris-Verhallen, W.M.C.M., Kerkstra, A., & Bensing, J.M. (1997). The role of communication in nursing care for elderly people: a review of the literature, Journal of Advanced Nursing, 25, 915-933. DOI:10.1046/j.1365-2648.1997.1997025915.x
- Carpiac-Claver, M.L., & Levy-Storms, L.(2007). In a manner of speaking: communication between nurse aides and older adults in long-term care settings. Health Communication, 22(1), 59-67. DOI:10.1080/10410230701310307
- Coupland, J. (2003). Small talk: Social functions. Research on Language and Social Interaction, 36(1),1-6. http://dx.DOI.org/10.1207/S15327973RLSI3601_1
- DeVellis, R.F. (2012). Scale development: Theory and applications. Los Angeles, CA: Sage.
- Fleischer, S., Berg, A., Zimmermann, M., Wüste, K., & Behrens, J. (2009). Nurse patient interaction and communication: A systematic literature review, Journal of Public Health, 17, 339–353. DOI:10.1007/s10389-008-0238-1
- Fukaya, Y. Suzuki, K., & Shitita, K. (2004). Predictors and correlates of the frequency and the length of verbal communications between nursing staff and elderly residents in geriatric care facilities. Japan Journal of Nursing Science, 1, 107-115. DOI:10.1111/j.1742-7924.2004. 00019.x
- Fukaya, Y., Koyama, S., Kimura, Y., & Kitamura, T. (2009). Education to promote verbal communication by caregivers in geriatric care facilities. Japan Journal of Nursing Science, 6, 91-103. DOI: 10.1111/j.1742-7924.2009.00128.x.
- Fukaya, Y., Kitamura, T., Koyama, S., Yamakuma, K., & Sato, S. (2016). Analysis of utterances by older persons in ‘life-worldly’ communication with caregivers in Japan. Journal of Nursing and Care, 5 (5),1000367. https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/analysis-of-utterances-by-older-persons-in-39lifeworldly39-communication-with-caregivers-in-japan-2167-1168-1000367.php?aid=81238 DOI:10.4172/2167-1168.1000367
- Gerrard, P., Goldstein, R., Divita, M, A., Ryan, C, M., Mix, J., Niewczyk, P.,…Schneider, J.C. (2013). Validity and reliability of the FIM instrument in the inpatient burn rehabilitation population. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 94,1521-1526. DOI:10.1016/j.apmr.2013.02.019
- Gorsuch, R.L. (1992). Factor analysis (2nd ed), Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Gremigni, P., Sommaruga, M., & Peltenburg, M. (2008). Validation of the Health Care Communication Questionnaire (HCCQ) to measure outpatients' experience of communication with hospital staff, Patient Education and Counseling, 71(1), 57-64.
- Hertzog, M. A. (2008). Considerations in determining sample size for pilot studies. Research in Nursing & Health, 31, 180-191. DOI:10.1002/nur.20247
- Imai,Y., & Hasegawa, K.(1994).The Revised Hasegawa's Dementia Scale (HDS-R)--- Evaluation of Its Usefulness as A Screening Test for Dementia, Revision on Epidemiological Study Reliability, Validity and Effectiveness of Hasegawa dementia rating scale-revised (HDS-R), Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists, 4, SP2, 20-24.
- Johanson, G. A., & Brooks, G. P.(2010).Initial Scale Development: Sample Size for Pilot Studies,Educational and Psychological Measurement, 70, 394.
- Kaplan, R, M., & Saccuzzo, D, P. (2005). Psychological testing: Principles Applications, and Issues. 6th ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning.
- Kline, P. A. (2000). Handbook of Psychological Testing. 2nd ed. London: Routledge; Taylor & Francis Group.
- Koseirodosyo (Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare) (2008) Sintai syogaisya syogaisya syogai teido tokyuhyo (Grade Ttable About Handicapped Failure). https://www.mhlw.go.jp/shingi/2008/10/dl/s1027-11d.pdf
- Kyriazos, A. T., & Stalikas, A. (2018), Applied Psychometrics: The Steps of Scale Development and Standardization Process, Psychology, 9, 2531-2560. DOI: 10.4236/psych.2018.911145
- Lawshe, C.H. (1975). A quantitative approach to content validity, personnel psychology, 28, 563-575.
- Levy-Storms, L. , Claver ,M., Gutierrez, F. V. & Curry, L . (2011). Individualized Care in Practice: Communication Strategies of Nursing Aides and Residents in Nursing Homes, Journal of Ap