Journal of Health and Medical Sciences
Published: 27 September 2019
Sonographic Comparison of Estimated Fetal Weight (EFW) in Diabetic and Non-Diabetic Mothers During 3rd Trimester
Zinia Naeem, Namal Amir Butt, Qasma Ghaffar, Qandeel Tabbasum, Sana M. Zafar, Hina Almas, Shafqat Rehman, S. Muhammad Yousaf Farooq, Muhammad Uzair
The University of Lahore, Lahore, Pakistan
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Estimated Fetal Weight, Biparietal Diameter, Abdominal Circumference, Femur Length, Macrosomia
Background: Diabetes during pregnancy is very common that increase the complications in pregnancy. This study aimed to compare the EFW in Daibetic and non-diabtic mothers. during 3rd trimester. Objective: To compare sonographically the Estimated fetal weight (EFW) in diabetic and non-diabetic mothers during 3rd trimester. Methods: The study will be conducted in 35 diabetic and 35 non diabetic mothers during 3rd Trimester. To assess EFW the BPD, AC, and FL will be recorded on USG. In Diabetic mothers, the diabetes will be confirmed by Gluccometer. Results: The group statistics showed that mean estimated fetal weight among offsprings of 35 diabetic and 35 non-diabetic mothers were 2.3 and 2.0, respectively. The calculated fetal weight estimation among fetuses was as low as 1042g and as high as 4090g. Mean difference of estimated fetal weight in Diabetic & Non-Diabetic pregnant women that calculated as 2085.8285 for non-diabetic and 2334.5142 for diabetic mothers. Conclusions: It is concluded that there were no such prominent differences among the Estimated fetal weight in diabetic and non-diabetic mothers.
- Asmat, U, Abad, K. and Ismail, K. Diabetes mellitus and oxidative stress—a concise review. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal. 2016.1;24(5):547-53.
- Herold, K.C., Hagopian, W., Auger, J.A., Poumian-Ruiz, E., Taylor, L., Donaldson, D., Gitelman, S.E., Harlan, D.M., Xu, D., Zivin, R.A. and Bluestone, J.A. Anti-CD3 monoclonal antibody in new-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus. New England Journal of Medicine. 2002.346(22):1692-1698.
- Alper, C.A., Larsen, C.E., Trautwein, M.R. and Alford, D.R. A stochastic epigenetic Mendelian oligogenic disease model for type 1 diabetes. Journal of autoimmunity. 2019;96:123-133.
- DeFronzo, R.A., Ferrannini, E., Groop, L., Henry, R.R., Herman, W.H., Holst, J.J., Hu, F.B., Kahn, C.R., Raz, I., Shulman, G.I. and Simonson, D.C. Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nature reviews Disease primers. 2015.1;15019.
- Ural, S.H. and Nagey, D.A. Diabetes Mellitus and Pregnancy. Topics in Obstetrics & Gynecology.2008;18(1):1-4.
- Evers, I.M., de Valk, H.W. and Visser, G.H. Risk of complications of pregnancy in women with type 1 diabetes: nationwide prospective study in the Netherlands. Bmj. 2004. 328(7445):915.
- Ladfors, L., Shaat, N., Wiberg, N., Katasarou, A., Berntorp, K. and Kristensen, K. Fetal overgrowth in women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. PloS one. 2017.9;12(11):e0187917.
- Atkinson, M.A., Eisenbarth, G.S. and Michels, A.W. Type 1 diabetes. The Lancet. 2014.38;3(9911):69-82.
- Ballas, J., Moore, T.R. and Ramos, G.A. Management of diabetes in pregnancy. Current diabetes reports .2012.12(1):33-42.
- Rastogi, R. and Jain, S.K. Imaging in Diabetes Mellitus. Archives of Clinical Nephrology. 2016. I;2:028-036.
- Appleton, K., Barnard, J., Jantz, A.K., Pooh, R., Comas-Gabriel, C. and Kupesic-Plavsic, S., The Role of Ultrasound in the Diagnosis of Complications Associated with Maternal Diabetes.
- Langer, O. Ultrasound biometry evolves in the management of diabetes in pregnancy. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology: The Official Journal of the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2005.26(6):585-595.
- Zhang, X.D., Gao, J.M., Luo, J.M. and Zhao, Y. Pulmonary alveolar microlithiasis: A case report and review of the literature. Experimental and therapeutic medicine. 2018.15(1):831-837.
- Schild, R.L., Fimmers, R. and Hansmann, M. Fetal weight estimation by three‐dimensional ultrasound. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology: The Official Journal of the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2000.16(5):445-452.
- Salomon, L.J., Bernard, J.P. and Ville, Y. Estimation of fetal weight: reference range at 20–36 weeks' gestation and comparison with actual birth‐weight reference range. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology: The Official Journal of the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2007.29(5):550-555.
- Lin, S.F., Kuo, C.F., Chiou, M.J. and Chang, S.H. Maternal and fetal outcomes of pregnant women with type 1 diabetes, a national population study. Oncotarget. 2017.8(46):80679.
- Yves, J., Valerie, V., Katrien, V.H. and Guy, M. Birth weight in type 1 diabetic pregnancy. Obstetrics and gynecology international, 2010.
- Feldman, A.Z. and Brown, F.M. Management of type 1 diabetes in pregnancy. Current diabetes reports. 2016.16(8):76.
- Ahmed, B., Abushama, M., Khraisheh, M. and Dudenhausen, J. Role of ultrasound in the management of diabetes in pregnancy. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. 2015.28(15):1856-1863.
- Killestein, J. Anti-CD3 monoclonal antibody in new-onset type 1 diabetes mellitus. The New England journal of medicine. 2002. 347(14):1116.
- Nadir, S., Jamil, S. and Hamid, M. The prevalence of macrosomia in newborns and its association with maternal diabetes. Journal Of Medical Sciences. 2015.23(1):3-6.
- Alberico, S., Montico, M., Barresi, V., Monasta, L., Businelli, C., Soini, V., Erenbourg, A., Ronfani, L. and Maso, G. The role of gestational diabetes, pre-pregnancy body mass index and gestational weight gain on the risk of newborn macrosomia: results from a prospective multicentre study. BMC pregnancy and childbirth. 2014.14(1):23.
- Zafman, K.B., Bergh, E. and Fox, N.S. Accuracy of sonographic estimated fetal weight in suspected macrosomia: the likelihood of overestimating and underestimating the true birthweight. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. 2018.1-6.
- Schaefer-Graf, U.M., Pawliczak, J., Passow, D., Hartmann, R., Rossi, R., Bührer, C., Harder, T., Plagemann, A., Vetter, K. and Kordonouri, O. Birth weight and parental BMI predict overweight in children from mothers with gestational diabetes.Diabetes care.2005.28(7):1745-1750.