Journal of Health and Medical Sciences
Published: 30 October 2019
Ultrasonographic Correlation of Cortical Thickness and Echogenicity Among Patients Suffering From Chronic Renal Failure
Hafiz Sohail Asif, Muhammad Waqas Naeem, Sybil Rose, Mazahir Hussain, Rafia Iqbal, Muhammad Irfan, Mehwish Basheer, Umer Draz, Sajid Shaheen Malik, Rana Muhammad Athar Azeem Shams, Muhammad Yousaf Farooq
The University of Lahore, Pakistan
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Renal Echogenicity, Renal Cortical Thickness, Ultrasonography
Background: Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) is a terminology used for heterogeneous disorders affecting the anatomy and physiology of the kidney. The variation in disease expression is related partly to cause and pathology, severity, and rate of progression Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) being recognized as a life-threatening disorder. Objective: The aim of this study was to assess the correlation of cortical thickness and echogenicity among patients suffering from chronic renal failure using ultrasound. Methodology: Cross-sectional prospective study 138 patients were included in the study. All the patients had been collected from indoor, outdoor, and emergency department of Mayo Hospital, Lahore. After informed consent, data were collected through ultrasound machine Toshiba Nimo 7. Results: Findings revealed that 138 CRF patients, 82 patients were male and 56 patients were female, and 56 patient belongs to the age group 15-35, 42 patient belongs to age group 36-55 and 40 patient belong to age group 56-75. P value is .131, which is greater than the significance level .05, which shows that there is no significant relation between both variables. Conclusion: It is concluded that there is no ultrasonographic correlation of cortical thickness and echogenicity among patient suffering from chronic renal failure
- BARSOUM, R. S. 2006. Chronic kidney disease in the developing world. New England Journal of Medicine,354, 997-999.
- BELAND, M. D., WALLE, N. L., MACHAN, J. T. & CRONAN, J. J. 2010. Renal cortical thickness measured at ultrasound: is it better than renal length as an indicator of renal function in chronic kidney disease? American Journal of Roentgenology, 195, W146-W149.
- CLARK, M. A., SHIKANOV, S., RAMAN, J. D., SMITH, B., KAAG, M., RUSSO, P., WHEAT, J. C., WOLF JR, J. S., MATIN, S. F. & HUANG, W. C. 2011. Chronic kidney disease before and after partial nephrectomy. The Journal of urology, 185, 43-48.
- GANSEVOORT, R. T., CORREA-ROTTER, R., HEMMELGARN, B. R., JAFAR, T. H., HEERSPINK, H. J. L., MANN, J. F., MATSUSHITA, K. & WEN, C. P. 2013. Chronic kidney disease and cardiovascular risk: epidemiology, mechanisms, and prevention. The Lancet, 382, 339-352.
- GLODNY, B., UNTERHOLZNER, V., TAFERNER, B., HOFMANN, K. J., REHDER, P., STRASAK, A. & PETERSEN, J. 2009. Normal kidney size and its influencing factors-a 64-slice MDCT study of 1.040 asymptomatic patients. BMC urology, 9, 19.
- HALL, J. E. 2003. The kidney, hypertension, and obesity. Hypertension, 41, 625-633.
- HALL, M. E., DO CARMO, J. M., DA SILVA, A. A., JUNCOS, L. A., WANG, Z. & HALL, J. E. 2014. Obesity, hypertension, and chronic kidney disease. International journal of nephrology and renovascular disease, 7, 75.
- KORO, C. E., LEE, B. H. & BOWLIN, S. J. 2009. Antidiabetic medication use and prevalence of chronic kidney disease among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in the United States. Clinical therapeutics, 31,2608-2617.
- LEVEY, A. S. & CORESH, J. 2012. Chronic kidney disease. The lancet, 379, 165-180.
- LEVIN, A. & STEVENS, P. E. 2011. Early detection of CKD: the benefits, limitations and effects on prognosis. Nature Reviews Nephrology, 7,446.
- LUTZ, E. R., COSTELLO, K. L., JO, M., GILET, C. A., HAWLEY, J. M., BRIDGMAN, J. C. & SONG, M.-K. 2014. A systematic evaluation of websites offering information on chronic kidney disease. Nephrology nursing journal: journal of the American Nephrology Nurses' Association, 41, 355.
- MANLEY, J. A. & O'NEILL, W. C. 2001. How echogenic is echogenic? Quantitative acoustics of the renal cortex. American journal of kidney diseases, 37,706-711.
- MOE, S., DRÜEKE, T., CUNNINGHAM, J., GOODMAN, W., MARTIN, K., OLGAARD, K., OTT, S., SPRAGUE, S., LAMEIRE, N. & EKNOYAN, G. 2006. Definition, evaluation, and classification of renal osteodystrophy: a position statement from Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO). Kidney international, 69, 1945-1953.
- MOGHAZI, S., JONES, E., SCHROEPPLE, J., ARYA, K., MCCLELLAN, W., HENNIGAR, R. A. & O'NEILL, W. C. 2005. Correlation of renal histopathology with sonographic findings. Kidney international, 67, 1515-1520.
- MOHAMMED, A. A. M. 2016. Evaluation of Renal Changes in Diabetic and Hypertensive Patients using Ultrasound and Laboratory Findings. Sudan University of Science and Technology.
- OMER, M. A. A., ELJACK, A. H., GAR-ALNABI, M. E., MAHMOUD, M. Z., ELSEID, M. & EDAM, G. A. 2014. Ultrasonographic Characteristics of Diabetes Impacts in Kidneys’ Morphology. Open Journal of Radiology, 4, 301.
- OZMEN, C., AKIN, D., BILEK, S., BAYRAK, A., SENTURK, S. & NAZAROGLU, H. 2010. Ultrasound as a diagnostic tool to differentiate acute from chronic renal failure. Clinical nephrology,74, 46-52.
- SALDANA, T. M., BASSO, O., DARDEN, R. & SANDLER, D. P. 2007. Carbonated beverages and chronic kidney disease. Epidemiology (Cambridge, Mass.), 18, 501.
- WEIN, A. J., KAVOUSSI, L. R., NOVICK, A. C., PARTIN, A. W. & PETERS, C. A. 2011. Campbell-Walsh urology: expert consult premium edition: enhanced online features and print, 4-volume set, Elsevier Health Sciences.
- WILSON, P. D. 2004. Polycystic kidney disease. New England Journal of Medicine, 350, 151-164.
- YUN, A. & LEE, P. 2007. Methods and compositions for treating a renal disease condition in a subject. Google Patents.