Journal of Social and Political
ISSN 2615-3718 (Online)
ISSN 2621-5675 (Print)
Published: 19 December 2019
Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) as a Turning Point on China’s Infrastructure Interconnection and Talent Exchange: Case of High-Speed Railway
Ali Gholizadeh, Saba Saneinia, Rongting Zhou
University of Science and Technology of China, China
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: BRI, HSR, Infrastructure Interconnection, International Trade, Silk Road, Talent Exchange
The introduction of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) has provided new opportunities for the development of China's manufacturing export trade. By strengthening policy communication and economic cooperation with the countries along the road, it helps to exert the potential of trade between the “One Belt and One Road” countries, promote the output of traditional Chinese industries and lead the development of new manufacturing industries. Trade frictions between the United States and China are frequent and growing, and trade protectionism may pose a threat worldwide. Based on the perspective of BRI, this paper taking the development of international trade as the background expounds on the importance of the BRI to the high-speed railway (HSR) talent exchange between China and the countries along the silk road. In view of how to carry out talent exchange with other countries along the road, this article puts forward relevant suggestions, so as to expand the exchange and cultivation of international talents in China so as to meet the new challenges and demands of the construction of talents along the way and enhance the international cooperation and cultural exchange with the countries along the road.
- A. A. Akintola, G, A. Aderounmu, O. K. Owolarafe. (2002) Problems of engineering education and training in developing countries: Nigeria as a case study. European Journal of Engineering Education.
- Australia, Engineers. (2010)."Inquiry into Skill Shortages in the Rail Industry Submission to the Victorian Education and Training Committee May 2009."
- Chinese Vocational and Technical Education Association. Retrieved from www.chinazy.org
- Guangming Daily Time. (2019 May 14). Promote the co-construction of the "Belt and Road" engineering science and technology talent training cooperation. Retrieved from http://www.crcc.cn/art/2019/5/14/art_549_2901238.html
- Hu, B; Guo, J. (2016). Research on the Training of High-speed Rail Technical Talents under the Background of "Belt and Road." Guangxi Education.
- Jiang, B; Hu, Y. (2015). Analysis of high-speed rail talent training under the "Belt and Road" strategic system. Human Resources Development.
- Jiang, C., Ng, A. K. Y. & Li, X. (2019). Government initiatives on transport and regional systems: The development and management of Chinese high-speed rail. In Maritime Transportation and Regional Sustainability. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-819134-7.00016-2
- Jiang, Y., Sheu, J. B., Peng, Z., & Yu, B. (2018). Hinterland patterns of China Railway (CR) express in China under the Belt and Road Initiative: A preliminary analysis. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 119(September), 189–201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2018.10.002
- Jin, X. (2018 July 10). Train high-speed rail talents to serve the “Belt and Road.” Guangming Daily. Retrieved from http://www.71.cn/2018/0710/1008709.shtml
- Li W, Jin D. (2018). On the design of Financial products along OBOR, The Journal of Finance and Data Science.
- Li, L. People's Political Consultative Network. (2019 April 23). “Belt and Road” construction needs to complement talent shortcomings. Retrieved from http://www.rmzxb.com.cn/c/2019-04-23/2333111.shtml
- Li, X., & Wang, W. (2015). The “Silk Road Economic Belt” and “China. Sociology Study, 5(3).
- National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), People´s Republic of China. Retrieved from http://en.ndrc.gov.cn/
- People's Daily. (2018 October 15). "Transferring Compound Talents for the Construction of the Belt and Road Initiative." Retrieved from http://sh.qihoo.com/pc/9942cdfae5e2e30d8?cota=4&tj_url=so_rec&sign=360_57c3bbd1&refer_scene=so_1
- Qin, S., & Gao, Z. (2017). Developments and Prospects of Long-Span High-Speed Railway Bridge Technologies in China. Engineering, 3(6), 787–794. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eng.2017.11.001
- Shao, Z. Z., Ma, Z. J., Sheu, J. B., & Gao, H. O. (2018). Evaluation of large-scale transnational high-speed railway construction priority in the belt and road region. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 117, 40–57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2017.07.007
- Ureña, J.M., Menerault, P., Garmendia, M. (2009). The high-speed rail challenge for big intermediate cities: a national, regional, and local perspective. Cities 26 (5), 266–279.
- Vickerman, R. (2017). Can high-speed rail have a transformative effect on the economy? Trans. Policy.
- Wang, R. (2018 July 10). Learning in China Helps Talent Cultivation in Countries along the Belt and Road. CCTV News. Retrieved from http://news.cri.cn/20180710/a1029389-1929-52cf-49c9-5f876a1e28ea.html
- World Bank, (2014). Regional Economic Impact Analysis of High-Speed Rail in China. Available at: http://www.worldbank.org/content/dam/Worldbank/document/EAP/China/high_speed- rail-%20in-china-en.pdf.
- Wu, S. K. (2014). One Belt One Route’: New Thinking of China’s Diplomacy. Guangming Daily, June 7, p. 8.
- Xin, Y. (2017 September 9). Writing the "Belt and Road" and the new journey of China's high-speed rail. Guangming Daily. Retrieved from http://www.sohu.com/a/195366368_180330
- Xinhua News Agency. (2019 February 25). "Belt and Road" and International Talent Training Forum Held in Singapore. Retrieved from: http://www.dzwww.com/xinwen/guojixinwen/201902/t20190225_18429924.htm
- Yang, F; Fan, X. (2018 January 25). China's trade volume with countries along the Belt and Road in 2017 was 7.4 trillion yuan. Retrieved from http://k.sina.com.cn/article_6091005815_16b0d5f77020004zov.html
- Yang, H., Dobruszkes, F., Wang, J., Dijst, M., & Witte, P. (2018). Comparing China’s urban systems in high-speed railway and airline networks. Journal of Transport Geography, 68(March), 233–244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2018.03.015
- Yu, Q; Zheng, S. (2019 March 15). China-Indonesia cooperation trains technical talents for the Belt and Road Initiative. Xinhua News Agency. Retrieved from https://finance.sina.com.cn/roll/2019-04-16/doc-ihvhiqax3163753.shtml
- Zhang, G; Li, H. (2018 April 23). Training overseas engineering talents serving the "Belt and Road." Guangming Daily. Retrieved from: http://news.sina.com.cn/o/2018-04-23/doc-ifznefki0070210.shtml