Journal of Social and Political
ISSN 2615-3718 (Online)
ISSN 2621-5675 (Print)
Published: 29 January 2020
Life Below Water and Maritime Security
Desti Yuwastina, Sri Tunggul Pannindriya
London School of Public Relations, Indonesia
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Maritime Security, Life Below Water, Fisheries, Marine And Coastal Tourism, UN SDG Agenda, IUU Fishing Enforcement
The paper analyses the UN Sustainable Development Goal “Life Below Water” as it relates to maritime security, particularly in the context of fisheries as the primary sector and marine and coastal tourism as the secondary sector. The structure of the analysis comprises a discussion of Life Below Water as Goal 14 of the UN’s in 17 Sustainable Development Goals, IUU fishing as one out of seven maritime security threats and linkages between both. The research includes the impacts of IUU fishing as a maritime security threat toward the goal Life Below Water instead of the other way around through the case study method. The discussion primarily includes the situation in the Indonesian context with a particular focus on Ambon using social constructivism theory and ‘grassroots’ or community organizing theory. The result of the analysis is used to investigate the capacity of national enforcement in carrying out the international agenda. It can be concluded that SDG 14 succeeds in tackling the problem of IUU fishing.
- Agnew, David J., John Pearce, Ganapathiraju Pramod, Tom Peatman, Reg Watson, John R. Beddington and Tony J. Pitcher. (2009). Estimating the Worldwide Extent of Illegal Fishing. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2646833/
- Dalby, Gustavo Sosa-Nunez and Ed Atkins. (2016). Environment and International Politics: Linking Humanity and Nature in Environment, Climate Change and International Relations. Retrieved from http://www.e-ir.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Environment-Climate-Change-and-International-Relations-E-IR.pdf
- Geospatial Information Agency of Indonesia. (2017). Identification of Islands and Standardization of Their Names. Retrieved from https://unstats.un.org/unsd/geoinfo/UNGEGN/docs/11th-uncsgn-docs/E_Conf.105_115_CRP.115_Agenda%209a%20Identification%20of%20Islands%20and%20Standardization%20of%20Their%20Names_BIG_Indonesia.pdf
- Herdiawan, Didit. (2016). Kedaulatan Pangan Maritim: Dinamika & Problematika. Jakarta: Lembaga Ketahanan Nasional RI.
- Husein, Yunus. (2015). Strategy on Combating IUU Fishing and Post Moratorium Policies Plan. Retrieved from http://www.fishcrime.info/assets/Uploads/Yunus-Husein-Indonesian-Approach-To-Tackling-Fisheries-Crime.pdf
- IHO. (n.d.). IHO Hydrography Capacity Building Programme for Coastal States. Retrieved from https://oceanconference.un.org/commitments/?id=15447
- Ihsanuddin. (2018). Jokowi Tanggapi Silang Pendapat JK, Luhut, dan Susi soal Penenggelaman Kapal. Retreived from http://nasional.kompas.com/read/2018/01/10/18534331/jokowi-tanggapi-silang-pendapat-jk-luhut-dan-susi-soal-penenggelaman-kapal
- Indonesian National Logistics Team. (2012) The Challenge of Implementation of Presidential Regulation No.26/2012 on the Blueprint of Development of National Logistics System (Use of ICT As A Driver Toward: “Locally Integrated, Globally Connected for National Competitiveness and Social Welfare”). Retrieved from https://www.slideshare.net/muwasiq/101212-sislognas-ict-tools-to-reduce-costtime-and-uncertainty
- IOM. (2016). Report on Human Trafficking, Forced Labour and Fisheries Crime in the Indonesian Fishing Industry. n.d. IOM.
- Jackson, Robert and Georg Sorensen. (2006). Introduction to International Theories and Approaches. Retrieved from https://e-edu.nbu.bg/pluginfile.php/147644/mod_resource/content/0/jackson_sorensen_Intro_in_IR_chap06.pdf
- Kurnia, Laksamana Muda TNI Aan, S.Sos. (2017). Between Threats & Opportunities: Facing Global Maritime Fulcrum. Jakarta: PetroEnergy.
- National Development Planning/Head of National Development Planning Agency of the Republic of Indonesia. (2017). Indonesia’s SDGs Voluntary National Review. Retrieved from https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/25469INDONESIA_VNR_PPT.pdf
- OECD. (2016). The Ocean Economy in 2030. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- Park, Dr. Kwang Seo and Kildow, Dr. Judith T. (2014). Rebuilding the Classification System of the Ocean Economy. n.d. Digital Commons.
- Republic of Indonesia. (2017). Voluntary National Review (VNR) “Eradicating Poverty and Promoting Prosperity in A Changing World. Retrieved from https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/15705Indonesia.pdf
- Ritonga, Rajab. (2016). Kesadaran Baru Maritim: Biografi Laksamana TNI Dr. Marsetio. Jakarta: PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Schmidt, Carl-Christian. (n.d.). Addressing Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) Fishing. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/greengrowth/fisheries/34029751.pdf
- Stachowiak, Sarah. (2013). Pathways for Change: 10 Theories to Inform Advocacy and Policy Change Efforts. Retrieved from http://www.pointk.org/resources/files/Pathways_for_Change.pdf
- Tani, Shotaro. (2017). Indonesia to continue blowing up illegal fishing vessels. Nikkei. Retrieved from http://www.google.co.id/amp/s/asia.nikkei.com/amp/Politics-Economy/International-Relations/Indonesia-to-continue-blowing-up-illegal-fishing-vessels
- UNDP Indonesia. (n.d). Sustainable Development Goals. Retrieved from http://www.id.undp.org/content/indonesia/en/home/sustainable-development-goals.html
- UN. (n.d.). Life Below Water: Why It Matters. Retrieved from http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/14_Why-it-Matters_Goal-14_Life-Below-Water_3p.pdf
- UN. (n.d.). Sustainable Development Goals. Retrieved from http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/
- UN. (n.d.). Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Retrieved from https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/21252030%20Agenda%20for%20Sustainable%20Development%20web.pdf
- Yusgiantoro, Purnomo. (2014). Ekonomi Pertahanan: Teori & Praktik. Jakarta: PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
- Yusriza, Benni and Astrid Desmonda. (2015). Ambon’s Trafficking-In-Person Case in Relation to Illegal, Unreported and Undocumented (IUU) Fishing Report. Retrieved from https://indonesia.iom.int/sites/default/files/IUU%20Generated%20Data%20Report%20-%20Final%20%28Transhipment%20Process%29.pdf
- Zainal, Zaidah. (2007). Case study as a research method. Retrieved from http://psyking.net/htmlobj-3837/case_study_as_a_research_method.pdf