Journal of Social and Political
ISSN 2615-3718 (Online)
ISSN 2621-5675 (Print)
Published: 11 December 2019
Sustainable Development and Social Responsibility from an Islamic Perspective
Nael Y. M. Sayedahmed, Samir A. Abuznaid
Hebron University, Palestine
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Corporate Social Responsibility, Islam, Ethics, Sustainable Development, Quran
Businesses aim to generate profits and long term wealth for the owners. However, that does not mean they can do whatever it takes to get the maximum profits. Businesses have other secondary purposes including providing goods and services, creating employment and gain maximum profits for its stakeholders including employees, customers, and the community at large. To examine the problems associated with balancing profit-motivated activities and meeting needs and expectations of stakeholders, the current study aims at explaining the concepts of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and sustainable development from an Islamic perspective. The paper employs a grounded theory approach to phenomenological investigation based upon review of published literature in the field of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and sustainable development from Islamic perspectives. Qur’anic quotes and Ahadith (sayings and practices of Prophet Muhammad PBUH) are heavily used to describe best and explain the concepts. In addition, Muslim scholars and Imams have been consulted on some issues for better definitions of Islamic terms and concepts.
- The Qur’an
- Aburounia, H. & Sexton, M. (2006). Islam and sustainable development. Research Institute for the Built and Human Environment, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT.
- Azil A., Alias A., & Norimah D. (2016). The concept of sustainability from the Islamic perspectives. International Journal of Business, Economics and Law, Vol. 9, Issue 5 (Apr.). ISSN 2289-1552
- Bettina H. (2012). Green accounting for corporate sustainability. 'Club of Economics in Miskolc' TMP Vol. 8., Nr. 2., pp. 23-30. 2012.
- Daft, R.L.(2006).The new era of management, International Edition, South-Western, p.177-181.
- Daud, F., Zulfan S., Sukendi I., Samsul N. (2015) Islam and the Environment: Education Perspective. Al-Ta'lima Journal 22 (2), 2015, (96-106). Volume 22, Number 2, July, 2015, Page 96-106.
- Gada M. (2014). Environmental ethics in Islam: Principles and perspectives. World Journal of Islamic History and Civilization, 4 (4): 130-138, 2014 ISSN 2225-0883
- Hussain M. D., Halim M. S. & Bhuiyan A. B. (2016). Environmental accounting and sustainable development: An empirical review. International Journal of Business and Technopreneurship Volume 6, No. 2, June 2016 [335-350]
- Hussein Elasrag (2019). Corporate social responsibility: An Islamic Perspective. Electronic copy available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2603832
- Jones, M. J. (2010). Accounting for the environment: Towards a theoretical perspective for environmental accounting and reporting. Accounting Forum, Accounting Forum 34 (2010) (34), 123-138. doi: 10.1016/j.accfor.2010.03.001.
- Kotler, P. & Keller, K.L.(2012). Marketing Management. Global edition, 14th edition, Pearson, p.653.Management Review, p.499.
- Kotler, P.&. Armstrong, G.(2010). Principles of Marketing, 13th edition, Pearson education incorporation, New jersey,606.
- Moi, M., Shafiai, M., Taufiq, B. (2018). Concept of sustainable development from Islamic perspective. Proceeding of the 3rd International Conference on Management & Muamalah 2016(3rd ICoMM) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322173868
- Musaji, S., (2012). Environment & Ecology in Islam". TAM article collection. December 05, 2013. http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/print/environme nt_ecology.
- Robbins, S. Coulter M. Sidani, Y. & Jamali, D. (2011). Management, Arab World Edition, Pearson Education Limited.
- Robbins, S. & Coulter, M. (2009). Management, 10th edition, Pearson Education Incorporation, 118.
- Said S., Aziz H., Salamun H., Adam, F. (2018). Sustainable development from Islamic perspective. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325100693
- Seifert, B., Morris S. A., & Bartkus B.R., (2004). Having, Giving, and Getting: Slack Resources, Corporate Philanthropy, and Firm Financial Resources. business and Society, pp.135-161
- Shakkour A., Alaodat T., Alqisi T., Alghazawi A. (2018). The role of environmental accounting in sustainable development empirical study. Journal of Applied Finance & Banking, vol. 8, no. 1, 2018, 71-87 ISSN: 1792-6580 (print version), 1792-6599 (online) Scienpress Ltd, 2018.
- Usman Riaz Mir, Syeda Mahnaz Hassan, Syed Salman Hassan. (2016). Islamic Perspective of Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Willkie, W. L. & Moore, E. S. (2002). Marketing’s Relationship to Society, In Handbook of Marketing, edited by Barton A. Weitz and Robin Wensley, London: Sage Publications, pp.1-38.