Journal of Social and Political
ISSN 2615-3718 (Online)
ISSN 2621-5675 (Print)
Published: 12 March 2020
Taleqani as a Humanitarian Islamist: His Activities and Ideologies under Pahlavi Regime
Hiroshima University, Japan
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Intellectuals, Revolutionary, Ideology, Unknown Characteristics
Ayatollah Seyyed Mahmoud Taleqani (1911-1979) spent most of his life opposing the tyrannical regime of Pahlavi. To save the Iranians from their tyranny, he referred to Quran because he believed it is the book for mankind’s salvation. His Quranic interpretation which was opposed by some prominent ulama, attracted some secular intellectuals who were under strong influence of ideologies such as Communism. He also expressed his discontent of ulama who condoned Pahlavi regime’s suppression, and neglected their own religious duties. Such a Taleqani’s criticism of the fellow ulama, together with his consistent support of Mosaddeq, has been regarded revolutionary. Although Taleqani has been examined in relation to the Iranian Revolution, this research aims to analyze his ideology and activity to extract some unknown characteristics under the Pahlavi’s. And the outstanding characteristic of Taleqani as a humanitarian Islamist will be finally found through the above consideration.
- Abrahamian, Ervand. Iran between Two Revolutions. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1982.
- Afrasiabi, Bahram, and Sa’id Dehqan. Taleqani va Tarikh. Teheran: Entesharat-e Nilufar, 1981.
- Akhavi, Shahrough. “Islam, Politics and Society in the Thought of Ayatollah Khomeini, Ayatollah Taleqani and Ali Shariati.” Middle Eastern Studies 24, (1988): pp. 404-431.
- Algar, Hamid. (Nikki R. Keddie, ed.) The Oppositional Role of the Ulama in Twentieth- Century Iran. London: University of California Press, 1972.
- Bazargan, Mehdi. Modafe’at-e Mohandes Mehdi Bazargaan dar Dadgah-e Badavi va Tajdid-e Nazar-e Nezami, (Tehran: Enteshar Co., 2006), 116.
- Chehabi, H. E. Iranian Politics and Religious Modernism: The Liberation Movement of Iran under the Shah and Khomeini. New York: Cornell University Press, 1990.
- Dabashi, Hamid. Theology of Discontent: The Ideological Foundation of the Islamic Revolution in Iran. New York: New York University Press, 1993.
- Irfani, Suroosh. Revolutionary Islam in Iran: Popular Liberation or Religious Dictatorship?. London: Zed Books, 1983.
- Jahanbakhsh, Forough. Islam, Democracy and Religious Modernism in Iran (1953-1997): From Bazargan to Soroush. Montreal: Institute of Islamic Studies McGill University, 1997.
- Kamrava, Mehran. Iran’s Intellectual Revolution. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Katouzian, Homa. Iranian History and Politics: The Dialectic of State and Society. London: Routledge Curzon, 2003.
- Katouzian, Homa. Mosaddeq and the Struggle for Power in Iran. London: I.B, Tauris, 1990.
- Keddie, Nikki R. Modern Iran: Roots and Results of Revolution, New Haven: Yale University Press, 2003.
- Keddie, Nikki R., ed. Religion and Politics in Iran: Shi’ism from Question to Revolution. New haven: Yale University Press, 1983.
- Keddie, Nikki R., and Eric Hooglund, eds. The Iranian Revolution and the Islamic Republic. Washington, DC: Middle East Institute, 1982; Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 1986.
- Kian-Thiebaut Azadeh. Secularization of Iran: A Doomed Failure?: The New Middle Class and the Making of Modern Iran. France: Peeters, 1998.
- Na’ini, Shaykh Mohammad Hossein. Tanbih al-Ummah va Tanzih al-Mellah: ya Hokumat az Nazar-e Islam. Introduction and Explanatory Notes by Seyyed Mahmoud Taleqani. Tehran: Sherkat-e Sahami-ye Enteshar, 1955.
- Taleqani, Seyyed Mahmoud. Do Shahid. Tehran: Entesharat-e Nas, 1979.
- Taleqani, Seyyed Mahmoud. Dars-e Vahdat. Tehran: Entesharat-e Nas, 1979.
- Taleqani, Seyyed Mahmoud.Azadi va Estebdad. Tehran: Entesharat-e Nas, 1979.
- Taleqani, Seyyed Mahmoud. Jahad va Shahadat. Tehran: Entesharat-e Masoud, 1979.
- Taleqani, Seyyed Mahmoud. Islam and Ownership. Translated by Ahmad Jabbari and Farhang Rajaee. Lexington: Mazda, 1983.
- Taleqani, Seyyed Mahmoud. Partovi az Quran. 2 vols. Tehran: Sherkat-e Sahami-ye Enteshar, 1979.
- Taleqani, Seyyed Mahmoud. Partovi az Quran. 4 vols. Tehran: Sherkat-e Sahami-ye Enteshar,