Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 09 November 2019
Effect of Organizational Culture on Employee Performance in Selected Deposit Money Banks in Enugu State
Nkiru P. Nwakoby, Jane Frances Okoye, Chika C. Anugwu
Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nigeria
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Organizational Culture, Employee Performance, Bureaucratic Culture and Innovative Culture
This study determined the effect of organizational culture on employee performance in deposit money banks in Enugu State, Nigeria. Specifically, the study intent to: ascertain the extent bureaucratic culture has significant influence on employees' performance of deposit money banks and determine whether innovative culture has significant influence on employees' performance of deposit money banks. Survey research design was employed for this study. The data were collected through the questionnaires administered to the respondents. The formulated hypotheses were tested with regression analysis. The result shows that bureaucratic culture does not significantly affect employee performance of deposit money banks. Another finding is that innovative culture has significant affect employee performance of deposit money banks. The study therefore, recommended among other things that the management of deposit money banks should develop cultures that will enhance performance, having the interest of their customers and employees at heart.
- Al-Matari, E. M., & Omira, B. (2017). The mediating effect of organizational commitment on the relationship between organizational culture and organizational performance in the public sector: evidence from KSA. International Journal of Business & Management Science, 7(1), 67-77.
- Alqurashi, S.(2009). An investigation of antecedents and consequences of organizational commitment among public employees in Saudi Arabia. Ph.D. Symposium 23-24 March
- Anitha, J. (2014). Determinants of employee engagement and their impact on employee performance. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 63(3), 308-323.
- Aktaş, E., Çiçek, I., & Kıyak, M. (2011). The effect of organizational culture on organizational efficiency: The moderating role of the organizational environment and CEO values. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 24(1), 1560-1573.
- Alvesson, M. (2002). Understanding Organizational Culture. SAGE Publications
- Amirreza, S., & Abdollah A.(2018). The impact of organizational culture and performance work system on employees’ performance. International Business Research; 11(6), ISSN 1913-9004 E-ISSN 1913-9012
- Anozie, O. P.& Ismail, N. (2016).Effects of organizational culture on employees performance: case of Singapore Telecommunication. International Journal of Accounting & Business Management. 4 (1),
- Blumentritt, T., Jill K.& Lisa K. G.. (2005). Building an inclusive entrepreneurial culture: effects of employee involvement on venture performance and innovation," The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 6(2), 77-84.
- Baer, M., & Frese, M. (2003). Innovation is not enough: climates for initiative and psychological safety, process innovations, and firm performance. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 24(1), 45-68.
- Black, L. J., Carlile, P. R., & Repenning, N. P. (2004). A dynamic theory of expertise and occupational boundaries in new technology implementation: Building on Barley's study of CT scanning. Administrative Science Quarterly, 49(4), 572-607.
- Cheung, S. O., Wong, P. S., & Wu, A. W. (2011). Towards an organizational culture framework in construction. International Journal of Project Management, 29(1), 33-44.
- Damanpour, F., & Gopalakrishnan, S. (2001).The dynamics of the adoption of product and process innovations in organizations. Journal of Management Studies, 38(1), 45-65.
- Durgadevi, R. & Vasantha, S. (2017). Organizational culture and its impact on employee performance (A Study with Reference to IT Sector Chennai). Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, 8(2).
- Detert, J. R., Schroeder, R. G., & Mauriel, J. J. (2000). A framework for linking culture and improvement initiatives in organizations. Academy of Management Review, 25(4), 850-863.
- Eric O. K., (2018). Organizational culture and employee turnover: evidence from Ghana. Journal of Economics, Management and Trade 21(2): 1-11, 2018; Article no.JEMT.39062; ISSN: 2456-9216
- Elvis A. (2015). Supportive organizational culture and employee job satisfaction: a critical source of competitive advantage. a case study in a selected banking company in Oxford, a City in the United Kingdom. International Journal of Economics & Management Sciences 4(7). ISSN: 2162-6359 IJEMS, an open access journal
- Ezirim, C.B., Nwibere, B.M., & Emecheta, B.C. (2012). The influence of corporate culture on organizational commitment: The Nigerian experience. International Journal of Business and Public Administration, 9(3), 155-180.
- Ezekiel, S. N., and Darius, N.I.(2012). The Influence of Corporate Culture on Employee Commitment to the Organization, International Journal of Business and Management, 7(22), 21-28.
- Fakhar, S., Zahid, I., & Muhammad, G. (2013). Impact of organizational culture on employees job performance: an empirical study of software houses in Pakistan, Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 5(2), 56-64.
- Hailin, Z., Haimeng, T. & Qiang W. (2018). The effect of corporate culture on firm performance: Evidence from China. China Journal of Accounting Research11 (2018) 1–19.
- Higgins, J. M., & McAllaster, C. R. A. I. G. (2002). Want innovation? Then use cultural artifacts that support it. Organizational Dynamics, 31(1), 74-84.
- Gu, V. C., Hoffman, J. J., Cao, Q., & Schniederjans, M. J. (2014). The effects of organizational culture and environmental pressures on IT project performance: A moderation perspective. International Journal of Project Management, 32(7), 1170-1181.
- Isa, M. F. M., Ugheoke, S. O. & Noor, W.S. W. M. (2016). The influence of organizational culture on employees’ performance: evidence from Oman. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Business E-ISSN: 2289-8298.DOI: 10.17687/JEB.0402.01
- Inienger, C. C. & Emem, U. (2018).The impact of organizational culture on employee's performance in public sector. International Business Research; 11(6); ISSN 1913-9004 E-ISSN 1913-9012.
- Iliuta, D. O. (2014). The link between organizational culture and performance management practices: A case of IT companies from Romania. Annals of Faculty of Economics, 1(1), 1156-1163.
- Joo, B. K. B., & Lim, T. (2009). The effects of organizational learning culture, perceived job complexity, and proactive personality on organizational commitment and intrinsic motivation. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 16(1), 48-60.
- Joo, B. K., & Shim, J. H. (2010). Psychological empowerment and organizational commitment: The moderating effect of organizational learning culture. Human Resource Development International, 13(4), 425-441.
- Kotter, J., & Heskett, J. (1992). Corporate culture and performance. New York: Free Press.
- Klehe, U. C., & Anderson, N. (2007). The moderating influence of personality and culture on social loafing in typical versus maximum performance situations. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 15(2), 250-262.
- Kim, A. & Maubourgne, R.A. (1992). Parables of leadership. Harvard Business Review. July-August, p. 123.
- Kim Jean Lee, S., & Yu, K. (2004). Corporate culture and organizational performance. Journal of managerial psychology, 19(4), 340-359.
- Mobley, W. H., Wang, L., & Fang, K. (2005). Organizational culture: measuring and developing it in your organization. Harvard Business Review China, March 2005,128-139.
- Mohammad J. U., Rumana, H.L. & Saad M. M. H. (2013).Impact of organizational culture on employee performance and productivity: a case study of telecommunication sector in Bangladesh. International Journal of Business and Management; 6(2). ISSN 1833-3850 E-ISSN 1833-8119.
- Mashal A. & Saima, S. (2014).The impact of organizational culture on organizational performance: a case study of telecom sector. Global Journal of Management and Business Research: Administration and Management;14(3) Version 1.0.
- March, J.G, & Simon, H.A (1997). Organizations. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Montes, J. L., Moreno, A. R., & Morales, V. G. (2005). Influence of support leadership and teamwork cohesion on organizational learning, innovation and performance: an empirical examination. Technovation 25: 1159 – 1172 Elsevir
- Martin, J. (2005). Organizational behavior and management (3rd ed). London: Thompson learning.
- Meyer J. P., Stanley, D.J., Herscovitch, L., & Topolnytsky, L.(2002). Affective, continuance, and normative commitment to the organization: a meta-analysis of antecedents, correlates, and consequences. Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 61, pp. 20-52.
- Naceur, L. & Aisha, J. & Rasasi. A.L. (2005). Transformational leadership and service quality in UAE hospitals, Managing Service Quality, 15(1). pp. 70-8.
- Neil, J. (2009). Exploring research: New Jersey: Pearson Education International, Inc.
- Ojo O. (2010). Organizational culture and corporate performance: Empirical evidence from Nigeria. Journal of Business System, Governance and Ethics.5(2):1-12.
- Olaigbe, T. A., Unachukwu, J. C. & Oyewole, F. A. (2018).Organizational culture and its influence on the performance of Nigerian insurance industry. International Journal of Innovative Finance and Economics Research 6(1):75-83,
- Ogbonna, E., & Harris, L. (2000). Leadership style, organizational culture and performance: empirical evidence from UK Companies. International Journal of Human Resources Management.
- Quinn, K. S. C., & Robert, E. (2011). Diagnosing and changing organizational culture: Based on the competing values framework. John Wiley & Sons.
- Aftab, H., Rana, T. & Sarwar, A. (2012). An Investigation of the Relationship between Organizational Culture and the Employee‟s Role Based Performance: Evidence from the Banking Sector. International Journal of Business and Commerce 2(4), 1-13.
- Robbins, S. (2005). Organizational Behavior, (13th ed.), New Jersey: Prentice Hall Inc.
- Romi I.(2018).The impact of organizational culture and leadership style on job satisfaction and employee performance. Journal of Advanced Management Science Vol. 6, No. 1,
- Randeree K. & Chaudhry. (2012). Leadership – style, satisfaction and commitment An exploration in the United Arab Emirates’ construction sector. Journal Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management. 19(1).
- Rowden, R. W. (2000). The relationship between charismatic leadership behaviors and organizational commitment. The Leadership and Organizational Development Journal. 21(1).
- Robbins, S. P. & Sanghi, S. (2007). Organizational behavior, Pearson education, New Delhi.
- Schein EH (2010) Organizational Culture and Leadership. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, USA.
- Shahzad, F., Iqbal, Z., &Gulzar, M. (2013). Impact of Organizational Culture on Employees Job Performance: An Empirical Study of Software Houses in Pakistan. Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 5(2), 56-64
- Silverthorne, C. (2004). The impact of organizational culture and person-organization fit on organizational commitment and job satisfaction in Taiwan. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 25(7), 592-599.
- Sipahutar, H., Wibowo., Umar, H., & Riady, H., (2016). Influence of training, organizational culture, work motivation, and job satisfaction on the employee performance at defence industry in the Province of West Java, Indonesia”. International Journal of Advanced Scientific Research & Development (IJASRD), 03 (04/III), pp. 170 – 186.
- Schein, E. M. (2014). Organizational culture and leadership (3rd ed.). Jossy-Bass.
- Stoica, M., Liao, J., & Welsch, H. (2004). Organizational culture and patterns of information processing: The case of small and medium-sized enterprises. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 9(3), 251.
- Santos, J.B., & Brito, L.A. (2012).Toward a Subjective Measurement Model for Firm Performance. BAR Rio de Janeiro, 9(6),95-117.
- Sinha, A., & Arora, B. (2012). Fit between Organizational Culture and Business Excellence: A Case Study of Heavy Electrical Equipment Plant, BHEL. Vikalpa: The Journal For Decision Makers, 37(3), 19-27.
- Terawatanavong, C. & Webster, C. M., (2005). Organizational members' commitment to professional associations. Conference: Business Interaction, Relationships and Networks. ANZMAC
- Tseng, S. M. (2010). The correlation between organizational culture and knowledge conversion on corporate performance. Journal of Knowledge Management, 14(2), 269-284.
- Wallach, E. J. (1983). Individuals and organizations: The cultural match. Training and Development Journal, 37(2), 29-36
- Yiing, L. H., & Ahmad, K. Z. B. (2009). The moderating effects of organizational culture on the relationships between leadership behaviour and organizational commitment and between organizational commitment and job satisfaction and performance. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 30(1), 53-86.
- Zehir, C., Ertosun, Ö. G., Zehir, S., & Müceldili, B. (2011). The effects of leadership styles and organizational culture over firm performance: Multi-National companies in İstanbul. Procedia- Social and Behavioral Sciences, 24(1), 1460-1474.