Journal of Economics and Business
ISSN 2615-3726 (Online)
ISSN 2621-5667 (Print)
Published: 27 January 2020
Emerging Technologies in Management Accounting
Bruce H. Geddes
Keiser University, US
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Emerging Technologies, Management Accounting, Accounting
This paper gives a broad overview of emerging technology fields and their effect on management accounting. The research involved reviewing, describing, analyzing, and summarizing some of the literature in the area. The first field examined was that of business intelligence (BI) and its necessary partnership with management accounting. Following the BI section is an examination of how software aids accounting analytics. Next up is the surging field of big data and how it is poised to revolutionize the accounting profession. Included in this area are the definitions of descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics. The study found that many of the emerging technologies required more research at a rapid pace because of the importance that management accountants play in the success of organizations. An additional area impacted is accounting education because of the need for business schools to turn out graduates with the necessary skills to meet the needs of a changing accounting profession.
- Acito, F., & Khatri, V. (2014). Business analytics: Why now and what next? Business Horizons, 57(5), 565–570.
- Amato, N. (2016). Why the power of data is in the analysis. Journal of Accountancy. 54(2), pp-68-69.
- Andrei, G., Galmeanu R., & Radu, F. (2018). Managerial accounting - an essential component of the information system. Valahian Journal of Economic Studies, 9(2), 109–114.
- Appelbaum, D., Kogan, A., Vasarhelyi, M., & Yan, Z. (2017). Impact of business analytics and enterprise systems on managerial accounting. International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, 25, 29–44.
- Brands, K. (2014). Big data and business intelligence for management accountants. Strategic Finance. 95(12), pp 64-65.
- Contrafatto, M., & Burns, J. (2014). Social and environmental accounting, organizational change and management accounting: A processual view. Management Accounting Research, 24(4), 349–365.
- Dewu, K., & Barghathi, Y. (2019). The accounting curriculum and the emergence of Big Data. Accounting & Management Information Systems / Contabilitate Si Informatica de Gestiune, 18(3), 417–442.
- Dzuranin, A. C., Jones, J.R., and Olvera, R.M. (2018). Infusing data analytics into the accounting curriculum: A framework and insights from faculty. Journal of Accounting Education, 43, 24–39. doi: 10.1016/j.jaccedu.2018.03.004.
- Eng, A. C. (2018). Tomorrow’s management accountants. Strategic Finance, 6.
- Frey, C. B., & Osborne, M. A. (2017). The future of employment: How susceptible are jobs to computerisation? Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 114, 254–280.
- Hint, M., Popa, M.-A., Trif, M., & Bădescu, M. (2018). New dimensions of managerial accounting and its influences in an unstable environment. Annals of the University of Oradea, Economic Science Series, 27(1), 181–191.
- Huttunen, J., Jauhiainen, J., Lehti, L., Nylund, A., Martikainen, M., & Lehner, O. M. (2019). Big Data, Cloud Computing and Data Science Applications in Finance and Accounting. ACRN Oxford Journal of Finance & Risk Perspectives, 8, 16–30.
- Ioana, M. T., Ioana, A. F., Nicoleta, D. G., & Gabriela, M.T. (2019). Know-how present status of insurances domain from the perspective of managerial accounting. Annals of the University of Oradea, Economic Science Series, 28(1), 194–202.
- Janvrin, D. J., & Weidenmier, W. M. (2017). “Big Data”: A new twist to accounting. Journal of Accounting Education, 38, 3–8.
- Kabir, M. R. (2019). Management accounting dynamics in bangladesh: Areas and factors behind the changes. Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Journal, 14(2), 51–77.
- Kose, T., & Agdeniz, Ş. (2019). The role of management accounting in risk management. Journal of Accounting & Finance, 509–525.
- La Torre, M., Botes, V.L., Dumay, J., Rea, M.A. & Odendaal, E. (2018). The fall and rise of intellectual capital accounting: new prospects from the Big Data revolution. Meditari Accountancy Research, 26(3), 381–399.
- Lawson, R. (2019). New Competencies for Management Accountants. CPA Journal, 18–21.
- Moreno, V., Vieira da Silva, F. E. L., Ferreira, R., & Filardi, F. (2019). Complementarity as a Driver of Value in Business Intelligence and Analytics Adoption Processes. Revista Ibero-Americana de Estratégia (RIAE), 18(1), 57–70.
- Nicoletta, G. C. (2019). Management accounting: The boundary between traditional and modern. Journal of Academic Research in Economics, 11(2), 453–461.
- Nielsen, S. (2018). Reflections on the applicability of business analytics for management accounting – and future perspectives for the accountant. Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 14(2), 167–187.
- Peters, M. D., Wieder, B., & Sutton, S. G. (2018). Organizational improvisation and the reduced usefulness of performance measurement BI functionalities. International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, 29, 1–15.
- Richins, G., Stapleton, A., Stratopoulos, T. C., & Wong, C. (2017). Big Data Analytics: Opportunity or Threat for the Accounting Profession? Journal of Information Systems, 31(3), 63–79.
- Rikhardsson, P., & Yigitbasioglu, O. (2018). Business intelligence & analytics in management accounting research: Status and future focus. International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, 29, 37–58.
- Steen N. (2018). Reflections on the applicability of business analytics for management accounting – and future perspectives for the accountant. Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 14(2), 167–187. org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.1108/JAOC-11-2014-0056
- Tamandeh, S. (2016). The effect of business intelligence on management accounting information
- system. European Online Journal of Natural and Social Sciences, 5(1), pp. 190-199.
- Torres, R., & Sidorova, A. (2019). Reconceptualizing information quality as effective use in the context of business intelligence and analytics. International Journal of Information Management, 49, 316–329. org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2019.05.028
- Trigo, A., Belfo, F., & Estébanez, R. P. (2014). Accounting Information Systems: The Challenge of the Real-time Reporting. Procedia Technology, 16, 118–127. org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.1016/j.protcy.2014.10.075
- Tschakert, N., Kokina, J., Kozlowski, S., & Vasarhelyi, M. (2017). How Business Schools Can Integrate Data Analytics into the Accounting Curriculum. CPA Journal, 87(9), 10–12. Retrieved from com.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=124942824&site=eds-live&scope=site
- Vultur, P. (2018). Study based on the importance of the information provided by management accounting on the managerial process in the joint stock companies in the north-east area of moldova. USV Annals of Economics & Public Administration, 18(1), 134–142.
- Warren, J., Moffitt, K. C., & Byrnes, P. (2015). How Big Data Will Change Accounting. Accounting Horizons, 29(2), 397–407.