Economics and Business
ISSN 2775-9237 (Online)
Published: 18 October 2019
Economic Environment and Performance of Donor Funded Health Projects in Kenya
Jones Ong'era Mobegi, Paul Sang, Rosemary James
Download Full-Text Pdf
Keywords: Economic Environment, Performance, Donor, Funded, Projects
Health projects have been found to play a critical role in enhancing the well-being of society. Health projects in Kenya are funded by both the government and donors. Although the amounts of funding from donors in Kenya have been rising over the years, most donor-funded projects in Kenya are not performing well. This study sought to find out the effect of the economic environment; changes in tax rates, changes in interest rates and changes in exchange rates on the performance of donor-funded health projects in Kenya. The study was anchored on the theory of constraints. The study adopted explanatory and descriptive research designs. A census of all the sixty-nine donor-funded health projects initiated between 2008 and 2018, and are ongoing was conducted. A semi-structured questionnaire was administered to managers of the donor-funded health projects and the heads of donor-funded projects at the ministry of health. Both descriptive and inferential statistics were applied in the analysis and presentation of data. Quantitative data were analyzed using the Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS), while qualitative data were analyzed by content analysis based on patterns and themes. A multiple regression model was used to explain the effect of the economic environment on the performance of donor-funded health projects in Kenya. The study found out that the economic environment had a significant effect on the performance of donor-funded health projects. The study recommends that all decision-makers and other donor-funded health project stakeholders devise policies and strategies for controlling the effect of the economic environment on the donor-funded health projects to enhance their performance.
- Adeojo, L.A., (2012). Effective Time Management for High Performance in an Organization. Thesis, Seinajoki University of Applied Sciences.
- Akanni, P.O., Oke, A. E., & Akpomiemie, A. O. (2014). Impact of environmental factors on building project performance in Delta State, Nigeria. Housing and Building National Research Center, 91 - 97.
- Aller, C. M., (2016). Determining the Success of Innovative Projects using Performance and Complexity Indicators. Bachelor Thesis, Turku.
- Azhar, N., Farouqi, R.U. & Ahmed, S.M. (2008). Advancing and Integrating construction education, research & practice”, Cost Overrun Factors in the Construction Industry of Advancing & Integrating Construction Education, Research and Practice. First International Conference on Construction in Developing Countries (ICCIDC–I),. Karachi.
- Berenson, M.L.,(2013).Basic Statistics, 3rdEdition. Melbourne: Pearson.
- Bostock Marketing Group Research. (2015). Factors in Project Success. The Association for Project Management (APM). www.bmgresearch.co.ke
- Caruth, G. D. (2013). Demystifying Mixed Methods Research Design. Mevlana International Journal of Education: A Review of the Literature, 112 - 122.
- Chowdhary, M. (2009). Constraint Management, Throughput, Operating Expenses and Inventory. New Delhi: Global India Publications PVT Ltd.
- Department for International Development (DFID). (2012). Operational Plan 2011-2015 , DFID
- Gaturu, S.N. & Muturi, W. (2014). Factors Affecting the timeliness of Completion of Donor Funded Projects in Kenya: A Case of World Agroforestry centre (ICRAF). European Journal of Business Management, 189 - 202.
- Given, L. M. (2008). Explanatory Research. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Qualitative Research Methods.Sage
- Gujarati, D. & Sangeetha, N. (2007).Basic Econometrics. Fourth Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/IJSE-04-2014- 0073?fullSc=1&journalCode=ijse https://www.theseus.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/114612
- Hwang, B. & Thomas, S. R., & Haas, C., (2009). Measuring the Impact of Rework on Construction Cost Performance. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management-asce - J CONSTR ENG MANAGE-ASCE. 135. 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2009)135:3(187).
- Hyvari, I. (2016). Roles of top Management and Organizational Project Management in The Effective Company Strategy Implementation. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 108 – 115
- Kiprop, D., Nzulwa J. & Kwena, R. (2017). Challenges facing donor funded projects in Kenya: A case of Community Empowerement and institutional support project. The Strategic Journal of Business & Change Management, 278 - 294.
- Kisilu, R. N., Kiarie.D., Munyao, A. (2016). Determinants of Successful Completion of Donor Funded Projects in Kenya: A Case of Turkana County.The Strategic Journal of Business and Change Management, 651-671.
- Kuria, E., & Wanyoike, D.M. (2016). Assessment of Factors Influencing Sustainability of Donor Funded Projects in Nakuru County, Kenya. International Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, Vol. IV, Issue 10.
- Labuschagne, J-P, (2017), Africa Construction Trend Report. Available at file:///C:/Users/Lec/Downloads/africa-constr-report-2018.pdf. Accessed on 11.04.2018
- Maina, C. & Gathenya, J., (2014). Influence of Economic Factors on Performance of Project Management among Petroleum Marketing Firms in Kenya. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Vol 4, No.6.
- Memon, A.H., Rahman, I.A., Azis, A.A.A., (2012). Time and Cost Performance in Construction Projects in Southern and Central Regions of Penisular Malaysia. International Journal of Advances in Applied Sciences. Pp 45 – 52
- Morse, J.M. & Niehaus, L. (2016). Mixed Method Design. Principles and Procedures. London; Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Mortaheb, M. M., Amini, Y., Younesian, A. H., & Soltani, P., (2012). Impacts of Engineering Work Quality on Project Success. 26th IPMA World Congress, Crete, Greece. Elsevier Ltd. PP 429 – 437.
- Mugambi, M.D.,(n.d). University of Nairobi erepository. Retrieved September 9, 2017 from; http://erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/bitstream/handle/11295/97870/Miriti
- Mujabi, S., Otengei, S.O., Kasekende, F. & Ntayi, J.M. (2015) Determinants of Successful Implementation of Donor Funded Projects in Uganda. International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 42 Issue: 12, pp.1139-1154
- Musa, M.M., Amirudin, R., Sofield, T.& Musa, M.A. (2015). Influence of External Environmental Factors on the Success of Public Housing Projects in Developing countries. Construction Economics and Building, Vol 15, No. 4.
- Muthen, L.K and Muthen, B.O. (1998 – 2012). Mplus User’s Guide. Seventh Edition, Los Angeles, CA
- Namukunda, P.S., and Ogolla, K. (2016). Factors affecting implementation of family planning projects by Non – Governmental organisations in Kenya. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, Vol 6, Issue 5
- Nathans, L. L., Oswald, F. L. & Nimon, K. (2012). Interpreting Multiple Linear regression: A Guidebook of Variable importance. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, Vol 17, No.9
- Ng, P. K., & Anuar, N. I., (2011). The Role of Time, Cost and Quality in Project Management. IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management. Singapore. ResearchGate.
- Olawale, Y. A. & Sun, M., ( 2018). Cost and Time Control of Construction Projects: Inhibiting Factors and Mitigating Measures in Practice.
- Project Management Institute (PMI). (2013). A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge ( PMBOK, Guide), Fifth Edition. Project Management Institute.
- Sang, P.K. (2015). Sustainability of World Bank Funded Projects in Kenya. PHD Thesis. Nairobi, Kenya: Kenyatta University.
- Saunders, M. N. K., Lewis. & Thorn hill, A. (2012).Research methods for business students, 6thedition, Harlow, England: Pearson Education.
- Solis-Carcano, R. G., Corona-Suarez, G.A., Garcia-Ibarra, A.J.,(2015). The Use of Project Time Management Processes and the Schedule Performance of Construction Projects in Mexico. Journal of Construction Engineering.
- Stojcetovic, B., Lazarevic, D., Prlincevic B., Stajcic D., & Miletic S., (2013). Project Management: Cost, Time and Quality. 8th International Quality Conference. ResearchGate.
- Thiele, M. T. (n.d.). Factors influencing the performance and sustainability of integrated coastal management projects in the Philippines: An evaluation of the World Bank Central Visayas regional project (CVRP) 1984-1992. Retrieved 09 30, 2016, from http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu
- Transparency International. (2018). Corruption Perceptions Index 2017. Transparency International Kenya. Retrieved 03 17,2019 from https://tikenya.org/wp- content/uploads/2018/02/Corruption- Perceptions-Index-2017.pdf
- UN-Habitat, (2012). Sustainable Housing for Sustainable Cities. A Policy Framework for Developing Countries. Nairobi: United Nations for Human Settlement.
- Zuo, J.,Zillante G., Zhao Z., and Xia B.,(2014). Does project culture matter? A comparative study of two major hospital projects. Facilities, 801 - 824.